SAU Community

R32 Gtst

well ive always wanted to make a build thread having owned a r33 gtst and r32 gtr before this car but now i have a gtst again i can free up some cash and be able to spend a bit on this car ..

also i want to use it to keep a record of what i have done and i will be updating the thread every time i have information or have made progress.

pictures will always be uploaded where necessary

so here is what i have picked up,

list of modifications (Tuned at Horsepower in a box by Morrie)

-Suspension/braking-

- Tanabi sus-tec pro front coilovers (Adjustable height, damper, body)

- JIC magic rear coilovers (Adjustable height, damper, body)

- Adjustable Rose-Jointed castor rods

- Front and Rear whiteline thickened sway bars

- ZENITH Solid alloy rear cradle bushes

- ZENITH Solid alloy steering rack bush

- GTR front strut brace

- R33 Lower control arms (Camber set to -3 degree front and rear)

- R32 GTS-T Type-M Brakes

- Braided brake lines

- Lucas full-metal brake pads

-Power/drive line-

- Greddy Profec B Electronic Boost Controller - Low@12psi / High@16psi – 203.7rwkw

- Garrett 2860RS Turbo (Disco Potato) braided lines

- 600x300x75mm Hybrid Front Mount Intercooler

- Full 3 inch exhaust with front pipe/dump pipe

- Nistune ECU

- Deatsch Werks fuel pump

- Heavy Duty Daikin clutch

- Metal 'hot pipe' by Exhaust technology

-Varex Exhaust Cannon

- Rb25 Neo blow off valve

- Apexi Pod Filter

-Nismo 600cc Injectors

-OS Giken Adjustable Cam Gears

-Z32 Air Flow Meter

- C's Short shifter

- Splitfire Coils

-Cosmetic-

- Fibreglass GTR Front Bar, Spoiler and Type M Rear Pods

- Genuine Alloy R32 GTR Front Guards

- Pumped and rolled rear metal guards

- 18 inch G-max dished rims 8.5" front, 9.5" rear

- 5mm slip on spacers Front & Rear

- Tinted windows

-General-

- White vision H4 XENON headlights

- JVC Head Unit | Kicker Amp | Kicker 6" Front | Kicker 6" Rear

when i got it there were a few things that needed to be sorted out -

-varex needs wiring up

-needs new boot hinges as there bent and when the boot opens the hinges snap the wrong way and it locks open

- needs new bonnet catch as this one is bent, takes a fair effort to get the bonnet to lock down

- oil breathers vented over the engine bay so it needed a catch can

-cluster RPM and temp gauge do whatever they feel like

-front fibreglass gtr bar has seen better days, held on by two cable ties

probs a few other little things ill fix it that i cant think of right now

so as soon as i got it i wanted to get it looking semi legal because its pretty low,, and very loud,

i actually got pulled over 5 minutes after picking it up on the way to the rego place. i thought he was going to say something about the straight 3 inch exhaust or at least look over the car but it was because my plates werent in the system having been swapped that morning. so i showed him the rego papers and off i was..

so this got me wanted to get it looking and sounding legal before i do anything else

i didnt like how loud the exhaust was, i mean it sounded amazing but yeah. the varex wasnt working either.

so i spent most of tonight soldering wires, neatening up the cables behind the cd player and connecting up a switch in the dash for the varex. so now it works. my old one had only open and close with half way not really doing anything to the sound. whereas this one half way closed seems an ever so bit quieter than fully open.

however i still want to go back to turbo tune to get a new cat back exhaust but to include the current varex cannon too. i was happy with the system they did on my 33.

also was looking round for a catch can asap was thinking i could set up one with a filter but i didnt like that idea, so i found one at autobarn and got some black hose for it. i kept the pcv intact, a did a T connection between the two cam covers and ran the line to the catch can, and had a return line back to the turbo, need to get the restrictor to put in it too. also thinking of putting something to filter the air coming into the catch can so only clean air goes back through the turbo. seeing as most catch cans dont actually catch vapor it just sends it straight back through to the turbo.

i originally set it up for a filter then changed my mind

post-86412-0-98476500-1337596256_thumb.jpg

onto the power and tuning side of the car -

it currently has a patch around 4-5500 RPM where it drops in power (will upload pic of the dyno sheet once i get one) which is caused by a faulty knock sensor ive been told so i got a couple replacement sensors given to me with the car

the car hasnt been tuned with the addition of the splitfire coil packs

hoping with the sensor issue fixed and a tune i will be able to get around 225rwkw

in an attempt to clean and neaten up the engine bay which currently has chrome pipes and bits all over it i borrowed an air compressor and bought some paint and all the rest.

i plan on spraying the IC pipes black , and maybe even the IC. and getting the pod filter shield made up which will cover the catch can too.

the cam covers are red currently, not sure whether ill keep them red or do something else.

not much else is needed, may re locate the boost controller thing to under the shield too, although its all black and hardly noticeable at the moment.

plans for the car -

-fix all issues listed above

- legal height , may try to raise it a bit this week if i can figure out how to exactly do it

- the new cat back exhaust

- nardi wheel

- oil filter relocation and oil cooler

- new genuine plastic gtr front bar

- perhaps side skirts eventually doesnt overly bother me

- spoiler less boot which a mate has given me a GTR spoiler less boot in red which i will test fit and spray soon

- get more power out of it and have some fun on the track as it is.

- adjustable camber arms to bring it back a bit straighter because the R33 LCA's give it loads of camber

- pretty keen on lenso D1R rims

- some gauges as i dont trust the standard ones if im going to go out on track and they are playing up as it is now

- GTR seats

- R33 brakes

- buy some car stands , proper car jack, and a trailer eventually.

these are all the things im keen on doing so far

as i go there will be other things added and taken off im sure.

i think i would like to eventually go to an Rb25 too. as i have a soft spot for them after owning the 33.

these are the *plans*

nevertheless i will be updating often as im working on it most nights.

hope some people can enjoy reading this

open to thoughts and pos/neg feedback.

for sure, im keen whenever

weird how it didnt upload the pictures of the car.

here are a couple

post-86412-0-69583800-1337692381_thumb.jpg

post-86412-0-18031400-1337692579_thumb.jpg

post-86412-0-52856200-1337692626_thumb.jpg

ordered new boot hinges and bonnet catch from Fatz

and also a mate has given me his r32 gtr spoilerless boot

so when the hinges come ill test fit the gtr boot with the new hinges, and spray it up after.

tried to fit a standard front bar... after a lot of hacking it up with a saw i couldnt fit it over the intercooler without cutting most of it off

so i raged and threw it away

picture of the dyno sheet aswell from hp in a box post-86412-0-76013800-1337692633_thumb.jpg

booked in on friday for a power run at turbo tune as im going to stick with them for the tuning of the car.

michael wants to see whats going on with the car before moving forward.

his thoughts already are the turbo is holding it back.

may be looking at a custom gt30 turbo for the 20 at the moment which may be able to push around 230+ but will be more suited to when it hopefully goes to an rb25.

took the gtr strut brace off too and currently sanding it back and gonna spray it black.

just sold a spare stainless exhaust for a fair bit so got some spare cash for perhaps a boost gauge aswell as getting the goddamn alarm and cluster fixed.

doesnt help when it remote starts itself and jumps into the old mans commodore

lucky it was only a commodore....

maybe also get a new gear knob . dont like the gtr one thats on there at the moment may get a nismo item seen a couple nice ones on ebay

A measly 181rwkw.. Air fuel ratio is up the crapper, still has the misfire, also the alternator or something seems to have gone on me. Need to jump start it every time I take it out . I left the car at turbo tune today. next week they will try to fix the alternator with bigger cables because the battery doesn't seem to want to hold charge. and they will look over all the issues.

Looks like I may go to an rb25. No point fixing and tuning an rb20 coz it may cost me a fair few hundred. Michael has a rb25 he just revived that he is keen to drop in for only 2500 bucks. I will be able to sell the 20 through turbo tune and take the $ off the price of the 25, as well as sell the nismo injectors, 2860rs turbo and a few other bits n pieces separately which may even cover the cost of the 25 swap. come tax return time I should be able to whack a 3076 or similar into it. Will confirm this as the plan next week when I speak to Michael again.

yeah 2500 for him to take the 20 out, drop his 25 in, wired all up using rb20 nistune ecu and loom. take 600 or so off because he will keep the standard rb20. so around 2000 i reckon. and maybe a tune will be an extra few hundred.

keeping rb20 gearbox for now until i can afford the 25 box

entering collingrove hillclimb on 14th july for a bit of experience and fun

assuming the car will be ready by then

i cant pay for the engine swap until 1st of july unless i sell the turbo and injectors soon

so my car will most likely just sit at turbo tune for a month until i pay

then it needs new tyres and the water temp gauge fixed

the rb25 ready for action..

most likely be installed and tuned by around mid june.

assuming i can afford to take the car by then too or it will have to sit and wait .

post-86412-0-10155300-1338190346_thumb.jpgpost-86412-0-33307000-1338190358_thumb.jpg

The rb20 came out today. picking up the injectors Friday and posting them off as I sold them. decided to keep the 2860 on it for the time being hopefully may get around 230rwkw with it. so for an rb25 swap and full tune and all new fluids flushed etc the price is 2700. Pretty happy with that seeing as its a fresh rb25 new pistons ,metal head gasket etc... Hopefully the car will be ready next week. turbo tune will email me some photos soon so I will upload them when I can.

had some time after work so i dropped into turbo tune

spoke to the boys they are saying on 15-16 pound figures could be around 250rwkw.. dont quote me on it though. got no idea what itll end up with.

rb25 with the goodies from the 20 ready to go in. will be dropped in tomorrow.

post-86412-0-35419000-1338453630_thumb.jpgpost-86412-0-84247300-1338453643_thumb.jpg

just a few snaps of the engine bay

post-86412-0-86060000-1338453760_thumb.jpgpost-86412-0-19076300-1338453768_thumb.jpg