SAU Community

Rb25 Neo Head Reconditioning

Hanaldo

Hey all,

I'm about to pull the head off my RB25 Neo in an attempt to fix a sticking valve problem, and I'm thinking I should just get it reconditioned and while I'm at it upgrade the valve springs and retainers, possibly the valve guides as well.

Is there anywhere in Perth that has experience with RB's or that people would recommend for me to take it to to have all the above done? Removal and refitting of the head I can do myself. I've had a look in the consolidated workshop thread and seen Bert Vosbergen listed in there, anyone dealt with them before? What are they like price-wise? Any other recommendations?

Cheers,

Martin.

Make sure the valve guide clearance is set correctly. Have seen alot of head shops get this wrong and have the same problems you're experiencing.

Hey Martin did you give Gerry a call? If he isn't on the road when you call then he will have a good chat and can give prices. They make their own guides suited for high lift cams incase you go down that path later on. Not sure how many Neo's they have done but well worth the chat. Just make sure you have at least 15-20 minutes to talk:)

Another option is Sam @ N&A Cylinder heads in bassenden.

thought about droping cams in at the same time?

Thanks mate, I'll check them out too.

As for cams, yes I've thought about it. Still thinking about it, I am very very tempted. It's going to depend on how much the labour will cost me though I think, if it's not too expensive then I'll get some Tomei Type-B's as well.

Make sure the valve guide clearance is set correctly. Have seen alot of head shops get this wrong and have the same problems you're experiencing.

What would cause them to be incorrect? My head has never been off before. I'm fairly certain the current problem is being caused by a bit of debris getting stuck in a valve, as when I installed my Plazmaman plenum I made a mistake which caused the manifold to twist and break on the cylinder 1 collector.

Hey Martin did you give Gerry a call? If he isn't on the road when you call then he will have a good chat and can give prices. They make their own guides suited for high lift cams incase you go down that path later on. Not sure how many Neo's they have done but well worth the chat. Just make sure you have at least 15-20 minutes to talk:)

Haven't given him a call yet, I'm actually a bit sick at the moment and I hate talking on the phone when I have a blocked nose lol. I will definitely give him a call though, I'm quite keen to see what he thinks :)

Thanks for the feedback mate, I still haven't got on the phone yet as I need to wait for the space before I can pull the head off. Mind if I ask what you had done there?

Thanks for the feedback mate, I still haven't got on the phone yet as I need to wait for the space before I can pull the head off. Mind if I ask what you had done there?

All the porting i did myself. Was a crack test, relieve head to suit big cams, his valve guides, race valve job think it was 3 or 5 angle, shimmed up/adjusted valve clearances and a reface.

• 2 weeks later...