SAU Community

Importing Parts

Candyman69

I am planing a trip to japan in the next couple months and i really want to get info on sending a container back home to australia. i have a group of friends who wish to put in an order for multiple engines and parts if i can source them. I have a contact over there who has a garage, truck, tools etc and will help me dissemble and pack everything. My question is not directly for cost to ship container (but if anyone has info would be much appreciated) but more toward cost getting through customs etc. Will i be allowed to bring that much parts over personally without being a registered importer with an abn in aus? Do i need proof i am not importing to resell? if i do need a licence how do i acquire one and at what cost? any info will be much appreciated

Might ring a customs broker on monday or something.

This.

This is a good move.

Ask about customs and quarantine responsibilities. And dont be stupid and let your mates hang you out to dry by not paying beforehand.

This.

This is a good move.

Ask about customs and quarantine responsibilities. And dont be stupid and let your mates hang you out to dry by not paying beforehand.

indeed. this is part of the reason i will not tke an order without getting full payment on it first.

clearing a container properly is about $6k . grab a broker and get talking.

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent 5 years in Japan teaching, retired and came back to Aus with 2 containers, including a bunch of car parts/halfcuts.

Basically expect to pay around $12,000 on top of your parts/car price by the time your 20 foot cube is in the backyard.

If you cant find any info on the net or by calling your customs agent your welcome to give me a call any time (02)66333131 at home or email [email protected]

I did end up registering for an ABN etc but its more of a hobby than a business for me at this point.

No problem for a private person to bring in a box but be VERY careful of lots of middlemen trying to get some extra $ out of you as they assume you dont know what your doing....