SAU Community

Suspension setting for FF

I know it's not a FR Skyline, in fact, it's a FF Primera P11 with RNN14 SR20DET, wondering if someone has drove a FF before can give some advice.

The car has GTiR SR20DET, 2835R, 550 inj, 264CAMs, full coilover..

As the pic shown, it's close street circut race, 600M straight line and left turn1, 200M straight, then left turn 2, another 200M, then left turn 3, 200M then right turn 4 then 400M back to where it start.

Question1, what sort of setting will reduce under steer, which is normally happen to FF? say stiff up front sway barand softer rear sway bar? and what spring rate should but into consideration?

Question2, because it's short circut, what will be best line to get the best time?

thanks heaps..

mmm, is this a computer game? :P

well....generally FF tend to be stiff at the front to maximise what traction is available and softer at the rear....

its a pretty short and simple track by the look of it....my suggestions would be:

brake as late as possible in the first corner, make the most of the speed on the straight...its only a short run after corner to the next so exit speed is not super important

brake earlier on the last corner and maxmise exit speed for the straight ahead....ie get the last corner right.

Other than that all I can suggest is the usual few tricks of trail braking and left foot braking.

Are there other cars on the track at the same time or just a timed sprint. If there are other cars just stay on the inside all track and hang everyone else out ;)

I know it's not a FR Skyline, in fact, it's a FF Primera P11 with RNN14 SR20DET, wondering if someone has drove a FF before can give some advice.

The car has GTiR SR20DET, 2835R, 550 inj, 264CAMs, full coilover..

As the pic shown, it's close street circut race, 600M straight line and left turn1, 200M straight, then left turn 2, another 200M, then left turn 3, 200M then right turn 4 then 400M back to where it start.

Question1, what sort of setting will reduce under steer, which is normally happen to FF? say stiff up front sway barand softer rear sway bar? and what spring rate should but into consideration?

Question2, because it's short circut, what will be best line to get the best time?

thanks heaps..

1. stiffer rear will create oversteer. spring rate depends on a number of things, weight dist included. sorry can't recommend but try whiteline

2. I'd try 'outide on the straights' and 'inside on the corners' on a cct this short

It's a sprint timed sprint, so they don't worry drive into other cars, in fact it's about 4 lans in width..lucky them got local goverment to close the main road for this event..

Stiffer rear would not increasing more under? what I done to my R33, is soft up my front and stiffer rear to make it more easy to steer, would FR opposit?

Also will treat those cornor as dpuble apex a good idea??

Well, I think 4 lane 90% turn is definately single apex thats quiet wide actually....depending on tyres you may not need to brake much at all....perhaps just dap the brakes on turn in to get the nose to come in and the tail to come out, and then back on the gas.

Gary...sorry, it's a Front engine, front wheel drive..

Cool, then I recommend a huge rear stabiliser bar (to assist the power down on exist), lots of caster (to assist the turn in) and a little negative camber (the corners are not long enough to need too much).

Lots of caster = wind it on till the front of the front wheels touch the front of the guards, then back it off a little. At least 8 degrees positive, the more the better.

I can't remember the standard rear stabiliser bar size, but you need at least a 300% increase in anti roll. The Whiteline web site has a table, look up the standard diameter and then look up the diameter you would need to achieve a 300% increase.

As for camber on the front, maybe 1 to 1.5 degrees negative. I'd keep the rears at zero camber.

If it is still reluctant to turn in, then add a bit of toe out to the rear. Around 3 mm each side is usually enough, but I have seen up to 8 mm used.

Hope that helps.