SAU Community

Gtr Plenum Removal Advice

jonathon

Hi all,

I'm considering having a go at removing the intake plenum to replace the leaky intake gasket.

I've searched and have a comprehensive tutorial from another web forum, plus the R32 workshop manual.

Any tips or suggestions before I get stuck into the car?

Is the task as bad as some have suggested?

My major concern is replacing the many hoses - which looks like you are unable to actually see where they go!

Cheers

-Besure to remove all old gasket paper.

-use a slight smear of gasket goo on the intake manifold to head gasket. Both sides

-have fun with the aac valve and e good to ur mother

Have done a few of these in the car. Best way is to remove the clutch and brake boosters. You can leave the master cylinders still attached to the lines, just unclip them at the firewall and move them out the way. There will be 3 bolts holding your IAC valve to the manifold, they need to be removed, diff breather tube needs to be removed where it bolts to manifold, also the bracket for the oil pressure sensor and maybe your clutch/brake booster Vac hardlines. From memory with all those unbolted its all easy street.

Id recommend a good 1/4 socket set with a good uni joint and some decent rachet ring spanners(flex head will be good too). Make sure you have a good feel of all the hoses while its all off (if i was you id be getting all new GENUINE hoses to save yourself the trouble later down the track).

With the throttle bodys make sure after you have cleaned them to check the throttle plates are still sealing in its housing ok. Most times when you clean the throttle bodys out you will need to re-seal them as there is a wax which forms a "perfect seal" between the plate and its housing. Can you use the Tomei throttle coat which work a treat.

Hope that helps!

Same as others have said, have a good quarter drive socket set ready with a good uni joint and heaps of extensions. I found the idle control valve assembly would only come off from long extensions and laying on the ground looking up at the bottom o the intake. It feels like you'll break the extensions. They can be tight!

upgrade to nitto, hks, tomei etc, and use hylomar gasket spray on both sides.

Hylomar gasket spray is a must. Very good stuff. If you where located in Perth I would have sold you a spare Tomei inlet/throttle body metal gasket set I have.

Cheers guys - after a bit of thought, I decided to contact a different import mechanic, whom has only quoted my $400 to do the job!

Considering its a relatively small amount of money (compared to my original quote!) - well worth having someone else take on the task.

Strange tho as I'm slightly saddened that I wont get the chance to be in the shed for a few days with my head under the bonnet (I think us car fanatics are a strange breed!)

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I started this post!

I got it fixed for the quoted 400 - did a great job, no leaks, and replaced a few hoses.

The guy even polished the intake plenum up for cheap too - looks good!

Down side is there must be a slight leak elsewhere as it still idles at about 11-1200 (better then the previous 14-1500!)