SAU Community

Interstate Registration Help

Hey guys, just wondering if you could help me out on something I'm confused about. The RTA system for interstate transfer is so complicated. They couldn't even explain it on the phone to me themselves without being confusing. Long story short I'm getting an Audi sedan from QLD. The car is registered in QLD and has a roadworthy there. I know the rego has to be cancelled regardless of how much is left. My question is what's involved in NSW when I drive it down, what do I have to do and how much would it cost?

One other question is, since the car is still under rego, can I transfer it to my name in QLD even though my license is in NSW and then transfer it in NSW maybe 2-4 weeks later since I'm busy. This way the car is in my name and not the previous owner (and he would want that since I could do traffic offences and such in his name if he doesn't transfer rego) but is it actually possible for a NSW resident to transfer a car into their name in QLD. If not how long do I have when I bring the car to NSW to do the whole blue slip, green slip and rego.

Thanks guys I really appreciate any help you can give me.

I just did QLD>WA. Flew to QLD, met the guy with the car, gave him the money, both went to RACQ and bought some CTP ($50 for 2 days), both went to the transport department, unregister the car (the owner will get a cheque in the mail for the refund of the registration, so try and get that amount of cash out of him since you technically own that amount). Take the plates off the car and hand them in. Get a movement permit ($50 for 2 days). Drive the car for 2 days on no licence plates and blow through all the tollways and speed cameras you feel like ;) Expect to get pulled over a fair bit.

Also check that you don't need a NSW govt form filled in by the seller, take it with you. In WA I needed a form which I didn't know to take, but I emailed the owner and he filled it out and sent it back which was nice.

Driving the GTR with no plates around QLD.... :)

20120725_143455.jpg

I brought my 34 from ACT and I'm in NSW, you can drive the car in NSW for 3 months on the other rego then you need to get a blue slip, hand written green slip and register it, RMS consider it as a new rego for an old car ( more then 3 months out of rego )

you don't have to hand in old rego or change ownership in the state it is coming from as rego is not proof of ownership, the receipt is, and RMS don't care about the 14 day change of ownership or stamp duty for a car coming from interstate

If car is an import then the import papers help but the blue slip place should be able to get then, mine did