SAU Community

Garret Turbo's Again.. 350HP & 400HP (Maximum Power Relevant?)

Cubes

Ok ppls I have a questions..

GT25 - 350 HP (Maximum HP 420).

GT25 - 400 HP (Maximum HP 450) 63 A/R

These are the two turbo's that I could be looking at...

I was wondering if any one had any idea what the Maximum HP means and if it is relevant.

How laggy. etc.

I don't mind a little lag maybe 4000rpm full boost max.

If the 400HP GT25 is over this well I wont get it.. I'd rather go the VG30 unit with a set of adj. cam gears and that will be it.

Also Keep in mind that I am at Uni for the next few years so after the car is tuned etc..

I don't really want to.. well I wont be able to... fork out money for a few turbo's if the second hand one goes (vg30).

I really want reliability.

I don't drive the car to hard well not like most ppls..

I only rev it usually max when not having a little run with some one to around 5000rpm :)

i know some people running the 400hp GT25 using the -0032 CHRA and they are making 200rwkw easy, full boost by 3000rpm on SR20DET's. Why don't you try and go for the GT30 range as you won't have to bother with exhaust manifold flanges as they come with a T3 flange already opposed to the GT25 which comes with a T25 flange.

When you say full boost by 3k exactly what gear and driving conditions are you in..

Like i can get full boost with the std turbo at 2400rpm if i leave it in fifth and are going up a hill..

Second gear from low rev's I get full boost(15psi) by 2700-2800rpm.

Hrmm the GT30 Might be a little to laggy (4500rpm) on a RB20det which has no VCT..

Remember 500cc is 1/4 of the RB20det's cc's :)

Guest top_secret
Originally posted by mr180

Hi NIZ180.

Sorry about all the questions... is that GT25 a straight bolt on for the SR20DET? What's the max rwkw your friends are getting  and what kind of boost are they running?

I know s13s that produce 400hp at the flywheel with a gt25 . A better exhast manifold would be good idea though .

Can someone confirm if gt30s will bolt on to a rb20/25 det ?

I rang the guy at gcg and he said the only bolt ons were his custom factory rebuilt turbos and a hks or power enterprises turbos which were both like 4k !

Originally posted by raist60

Id be going to GT30. Full boost by 4k easy. (Well mine does anyway) and it will pwn the GT25 any day.

Consider though the budget when you are upgrading. a GT30 will require an external gate whereas the GT25 will not? GT25 has virtually no lag, as good or better than a stock turbo ive heard in that department.

Consider what sort of power figure you what when you pick the turbo... if youre after 220rwkw go a GT25, if you're after more, perhaps you might need something more substantial...

So the next question is which one to get?

There are a few different models of the sme 400HP model..

i.e

GT Series Turbo's

Which has more lag which has more top end which has more mid.

Maybe we should change this in to a thread which will teach ppls how to read the specs and what they mean?

I've had a look on the forum(s) and there isn't anything around on this topic...

So you didn't actually buy a bran spanker Garret Turbo.

You had your RB25 turbo rebuilt with the GT30 500HP internals?

I was looking at this but ATS in adelaide had problems with the std RB20 housing with the GT25 internals not making the power it should.

Apparently it fell short of 200rwkw and made 196rwkw where it should have been able to make 210-220rwkw.

BUT.. He said that it could have been the housing to small so next time he is going to try the RB25 housing witht he same internals.

I obviously am a bit wary as it is an experimental thing and is going to cost $2k.

But if the RB25 housing worked for you Raist60 well it must work.

You can get a GT30 500hp with an internal gate that will bolt up to the std manifold im told, aprox $2400.

Where are you getting this turbo info from Joel, it all is a bit of a guess unless you really know your stuff or work from experiance. I have no real idea what my turbo is rated at.

I would really like a GT30 for mine i have looked into this for a while ant Both GT25 and GT30s hum along at 1.2Bar and are happy all day.

If im getting 220rwkw odd on my RB20 for example @ 1.2 Bar with the GT25 i aint going to bother going GT30 because im already king of the hill! (220kw is impressive in anyones book)

I read a zoom article where even tho it was an R33 RB25 he produced full boost @ close to standard and 230kw @ 1.3 Bar 100% duty cycle and he was using the 400hp ex housing.

I dont think it would be too much different on the RB20 even 500 revs Id be getting the GT25

I have a VG30 T3 on my 1.8 and it has full spool less the 4000?? say in 2nd

Just get the bloody turbo Joel :lol: :uh-huh: :lol:

Raist60- where abouts did you buy this turbo from and how much? Can you notice the boost coming on much later or not? Does it seem to pull better in the midrange than the stocky? Are you still running stock injectors and ECU? What rwkw you got?

When people say bolt on, i suspect there are different definitions of bolt on.

I believe the statement by GCG turbos to be correct that their hiflowed turbos etc are truly bolt on. That is no mods to water lines, oil lines,air filter plumbing, to IC plumbing, and exhaust manifolds & dump pipes.

I suspect when some people say bolt on they actually mean the same T3 flange, but the ancillaries of the turbo may require small mods to accomodate new turbo. ie braided lines, new pipes welded up etc.

Ok heres my story. Turbo build by rotomaster in melbourne for 2100. I already blew up the cartridge by blocking an oil feed passage in the turbo :) oops. New cartridge from garret cost 550.

The turbo itself spools very quickly id be so bold as to say the same as the factory turbs. The turbo itself is a ****ing monster and requires 1inch worth of spacer to make it fit onto standard manifold. It will require new lines to be made to fit onto it, this is not too much of a hassle tho. In midrange its just ****ing nutty. I cant give you a kw figure till i finish the tuning BUT at 16psi running lean as all **** it was making 200rwkw at 6000rpm.

I have powerfc and rx7 injs etc etc etc etc...

Originally posted by macka

Just get the bloody turbo Joel :lol: :uh-huh: :lol:

AMEN brother! :Pres-hit:

Just take the plunge Joel, then you'll be able to start cruisin' with us again & kickin' some booty :shake: :)