SAU Community

Strange Clutch Noise

Razon

hey guys im a bit of a skyline/car noob so bare with me :)

this afternoon i went to take my 33 out for a drive as i havent had the time in the last week and first off my battery was drained, which i guess was caused from the alarm system in it, maybe a light or door left open but thats not the problem,

when i was trying to get it going i tried to jump start it down the drive way i didnt do it a whole lot or very far but just tried twice to get it going then afterwards just decided to start it using a different battery and then replaced mine back in to recharge, anyways when i went to put it in gear i noticed when i engaged the clutch it had a loud strange whine/whirr?? another person with me thinks its more of a grinding but i dont think so

i let it sit for a while to charge the battery probably 30mins? (side note...heard rumors leaving skylines sitting in one spot for long periods is bad? is this the case as it did get pretty hot in there to the point it was making the ticks you get on a hot engine when turning it off)

after it charged i took it for a drive to see if the noise would go away, if i was riding my clutch the noise wasnt there but if i had it fully engaged it was there, sometimes it would be loud sometimes barely noticeable....

does anybody know what this could be? the last time i drove it, it didnt have this noise but now all of a sudden it did after the battery went flat....

Clutch throwout bearing.

On a side note, you can't rollstart EFI cars if the battery is totally dead. Sometimes you can if it's just a bit too flat to crank, but still powers the car up.

On another side note, leaving any engine idling for extended periods is bad. Just stick a thin piece of cardboard behind the throttle stop. Keeps revs higher, better for the engine and will charge the battery a lot faster as well.

thanks oem....yeah i thought leaving it for that long might have been a bit bad so took it for the drive just so it had a bit of air flowing

throwout bearing....what would have caused it to just break when the car hasnt been driven? do you guys have a rough idea of where i can buy a bearing and how much itd cost roughly in labour at a mechanics??

Its not the airflow, its the oil flow.

Throwout bearing is roughly $20-$30 from any auto store. Problem is you have to pull the box off to change it.

If its only doing it occasionally just forget about it and change it when you next do your clutch.

im pretty sure it only does it just while the clutch is pressed in....would be annoying at a set of lights i could imagine would feel like im doing damage to something the whole time im sitting there lol...but while driving its barely noticeable. Can it cause damage if i leave it ?

if it can cause damage, would i be better off just replacing my whole clutch straight away?

Its not really going to damage anything. However, if you think it sounds quite nasty, get it changed. If you have changed your clutch recently then don't worry about the clutch, just get a bearing. If you've had the car for a while and the clutch is of unknow origin and age, change the lot.

From what I have seen, with general road use, the bearings normally either outlast, or die around the same time, as a clutch. And they are usually changed with the clutch, so if the bearing is dead, clutch is usually getting close too. Just for your thoughts.

thanks again mate, ive only recently bought the car in the last few months so im going to assume the clutch is old and worn, its all pretty much stock....what clutch would you guys recommend for a every day driver/take a decent amount of power ? something that is good for stop/go traffic....

I had a Exedy Organic in my old car. Bought from Kudos Motorsport in the FS section. They are genuine kits unlike some of the mix and match kits that are around. Anyway, the new owner of my car pushed over 320rwkw through the clutch before it let go. Not bad for an organic with nice soft engagement.