SAU Community

Just Bought A R32 Gt-R :) Need Advice

geetea-are

i know of several cases where people with mines ecu's have grenaded motors while running stock boost. Its not the AFR's that are the problem on mines ecu's, its the timing maps (which is why they generally make a car feel GREAT! that much timing brings it alive! but dangerously)

Yea...Ive seen one run ridiculous timing on low load. Was up to high 50s :w00t:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv always been interested to know whether Mines ecu's were actually truly a good and relatively safe tune on the vehicle it was originally tuned for and any other things the tuners might have done to make it work in some more safe way. Or were they always 'go-GO-BOOM' boxes...

Iv always been interested to know whether Mines ecu's were actually truly a good and relatively safe tune on the vehicle it was originally tuned for and any other things the tuners might have done to make it work in some more safe way. Or were they always 'go-GO-BOOM' boxes...

Guessing it has to do with higher quality fuel in Japan.

100 RON is available in Japan, 98 RON is available in Australia. Higher the RON, higher the knock resistance. In simple terms, the Mine's basemap at the most basic level will be based about the knock resistance of 100 RON and what can be safely done with it. Put in a lesser fuel (98 RON) and it's obvious what is going to happen.

Shell phased out V-Power Racing in 2008, it was the only 100 RON fuel that I was aware of, even then it was regular 98 + 5% ethanol to bring it up to 100. Apparently United have 100 RON (haven't seen any in SA), but it's 10% ethanol.

Shell phased out V-Power Racing in 2008, it was the only 100 RON fuel that I was aware of, even then it was regular 98 + 5% ethanol to bring it up to 100. Apparently United have 100 RON (haven't seen any in SA), but it's 10% ethanol.

I've seen 100 at united, but only once.

Lavington united just out side albury is the only one I've seen

probably a good thing im thinking?

Not many people realise but our motors are frequently experiencing mild detonation events, its impossible to tune out all cases of det, hence why detonation is only deemed an issue above a certain amount. They are so smal they cannot be heard by the ear and they dont present any immediate threat to the motor. But it isnt good for it bottom line. Increasing your octane can help to reduce this.

What i am not sure about is how the effect of that level of ethanol content will effect a motor tuned for 100% petroleum. Another person might be able to answer that...

yes... but octane boosters are known to foul sensors- i.e. your 02 sensors in the exhaust as well as wear spark plugs quicker.

Id say put some in myself, iv never had anyt trouble with it tho i use the 'dyno tabs' which are meant to cause this sort of problem less.

Otherwise dont hammer it or even boost it if you can help it. Nor drive it in hot condiitons or with a heap of people in the car.

Its not like this ecu is likely to harm your motor between now n the time you get a new ecu and tune- 'its made it this far already'. But it would sure be a shame to have ur new car and its built motor go up in flames because of it...

Edited by jjman

A fair few United in VIC now have 100RON, have had most of the year and I used it religiously. Could certainly notice a differene with the added RON and the slight change in mixture due to Ethanol.

I give it the big thumbs up if you can get your hands on it. Economy was the same :)

Which United do you go to?

I haven't seen one without 100RON in over a year.