SAU Community

R33 Fuel Caps. No 'PSHHHHHHHH" on opening!!??

my car makes the consistent pshhh sound every time i open it. and yep they do change and tap on a new nozzel in compliancing. when i picked up my car i had this wierd metal thing sitting in the cup holder....looked like a funky jap tea cup..haha. anyways i had to go to the engineer to sign some papers and he was shocked to see that it wasnt fitted when i asked him what it was. he then proceeded to pull out this big cork screw thingy and tap it into the existing nozzel right there and then....signed the papers and i was off:D:D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Special Glue Used DAN ?

Use a product called "Sikaflex" to re-affix the metal threaded part onto the car.

Put a lot on around the metal threaded part, so when you press the metal threaded part onto the car, the black Sikaflex oozes out around the sides.

Leave it for 24 hours to dry, and then cut the excess black Sikaflex away.

Done.

Guest RedLineGTR

When my fuel tank is nearly empty 1/4 or less when i top the fuel up i get a ppssshhh noise other than that i dont think i get much of a pssshhh when filling the tank when 2/3 or 2/4. Seems the be the genuine nissan fuel cap.

As far as I can tell, the PSSSSSSHHH noise is air getting sucked into the fuel tank. Because as your fuel pump lifts the fuel away into the motor, it isn't injecting any more air into the tank (it's completely sealed)... So as it lifts petrol away, it creates a vacuum in the tank, so when you open the fuel cap, air rushes in to fill that negative pressure area.

If you don't get the PSSSSSHHHHH, your fuel tank isn't completely sealed.

This problem can easily be solved. You see, as part of the compliance process, the whole fuel intake pipe (including the cap) is supposed to be changed so that it becomes compatible with Aussie pump nozzles. There's quite a few of these workshops that do dodgy jobs in modifying these things. I'm pretty sure your intake pipe is cracked or has a hole thus the fuel tank could not hold pressure. Take this out and have a better one made or get it sealed properly. You will eventually get the Pshhhhhhh sound once this pipe is sealed.

We should ask some of the Japanese R33 owners what happens when they open the fuel cap.

Thanx Sewid, practical advice.

I did not realise how popular this thread would become, thanx everyone!!

good thread!

i have this problem too....(hazy vapour being emitted)

I had a look at the spout....its a little wobbly. Also checked the shed and i have some automotive sikaflex.

just wondering how you get the spout out? theres like a giant rubber seal surrounding it. Does that come off and then expose the sealing face of the spout?

Our do i have to get in under the car to get the spout out to get some sikalex in and around the join?

i hnfi lol

This problem can easily be solved. You see, as part of the compliance process, the whole fuel intake pipe (including the cap) is supposed to be changed so that it becomes compatible with Aussie pump nozzles. There's quite a few of these workshops that do dodgy jobs in modifying these things. I'm pretty sure your intake pipe is cracked or has a hole thus the fuel tank could not hold pressure. Take this out and have a better one made or get it sealed properly. You will eventually get the Pshhhhhhh sound once this pipe is sealed.

So TOBY, whether it is a pos or neg pressure (Merli suggests a negative pressure) ,in the tank at any time, as i take it there is supposed to be, hence the tight fitting cap (plus anti spill),

......would no pressure at all be bad for the fuel delivery system. Or my brain cells..(da ones I got left) in the way of fumes?

good thread!

i have this problem too....(hazy vapour being emitted)

I had a look at the spout....its a little wobbly.  Also checked the shed and i have some automotive sikaflex.  

just wondering how you get the spout out?   theres like a giant rubber seal surrounding it.  Does that come off and then expose the sealing face of the spout?

Our do i have to get in under the car to get the spout out to get some sikalex in and around the join?

i hnfi lol

Man........if you find that out, we'll both be happy!!

wish I knew more about 'sikaflex' and if it's actually good sh1t !

yeah i'll have a play around with it tomorrow and see what i can acheive.

Sikaflex is excellent....a dedicated automotive sealant (you can get household varieties as well so check the tubes) can get them from ordinary car places that sell sealants. i think you can get a tube of it (for a caulking gun) for around $14....

http://www.sikaautomotive.com/ind-auto/aut...roduct-flex.htm

if you want to know more about it

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig this thread up again...

But i seem to be having a problem with my fuel staying IN the tank :S

When i have more then 3/4 full of fuel, and take hard left turns, i get dribbles of fuel down the side of my car :rolleyes:

Never use to do this, i also get no "pressure" sound, and a LARGE amount of vapour pouring out

Looks pretty, but yeah...

Change caps? Change filling nozzel/neck?

*shrugs*

I used to have this problem, I even changed the fuel cap and it still did it. What worked for me was I put an extra rubber o ring on the cap and the problem was gone, by the way i never had the noise even when it was fine, pretty sure they have a pin hole breather in the cap.

• 5 weeks later...
Mum can't drift, the car can though,.... when my L plater little bruvver drives it.

Mum Loves it!!!!

Man If you get this problem fixed, let me know how you did it??? I have the exact same problem, except I might be used to the cabin fumes. I wonder if this could be a partial cause to bad fuel economy???

• 3 weeks later...
I used to have this problem, I even changed the fuel cap and it still did it.  What worked for me was I put an extra rubber o ring on the cap and the problem was gone, by the way i never had the noise even when it was fine, pretty sure they have a pin hole breather in the cap.

GZ - where did you get an extra o-ring from?

• 2 weeks later...