SAU Community

R33 Fuel Caps. No 'PSHHHHHHHH" on opening!!??

IMHO, If the tank & sealer cap is sealing properly, you should get the Psssh, from these thoughts :

1) Sealed tank, 1/3 full, lots of petrol vapor, especially when it's warm, which has probably expanded a bit (There's bound to be some expansion with <>20-30L of space in the tank.

hence the pssh. if the tank's almost full, there would be very little space for the gasses to expand.

2) If you get leaks, esp after some hard cornering, then there is either insufficent rubber/etc sealant around the filler cap, or the top of the filler tube is deformed in some way, leaving an incomplete seal.

3) A cracked / badly joined filler pipe. A good way IMHO would be to completley fill the tank, carefully upto the top of the filler cap. that way there's fuel all the way up there, and you keep an eye out for any leaks. (before moving car etc)

Edit : The petrol smell in the car can come from the above comment too, usually the fumes coming through the boot spaces etc.

(I used to have an old crappy Fiat, which spurted fuel out the filler cap on cornering, ala Die Hard ;-) not good when the exhaust is in the same side..!!! )

After that, who knows.....

My tuppence worth.....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accidently left my petrol cap at a servo once (it was my gf's fault! Honest! :P) and drove around like that for a week. Didn't get any dribbles of fuel or anything. Can't say anything about the performance as my clutch was slowly slipping at the time and it felt a bit less powerful to drive.

I posted a "How to" ages ago re this but could not find the original post.

Anyway, the filler neck/adaptor is inserted and stuck in place for compliancing. This is for Aus standards to ensure that only unleaded can be put in it etc.

This job can be done a little sloppy (as mine was) and will not hold pressure. The result is the fuel smell and the vapour haze you see in your drivers side mirror on hot days.

You can use Sikaflex to glue it into position as per the pics.

El Bee

there are many factors to the noise you hear when you open your tank fuel expands and contracts like you would not belive just get a sealed plastic jerry can half fill it with fuel and sit it in the sun it will turn int a baloon put it in the freezer and it will suck in like a sultana

so if its a cold day or you dont have much fuel in your tank your tank wont make the pshhh noise i hope that helps you guys

Congrats to fade on an excellent guide.

I didn't know about the existance of that putty but sounds like it is "the business". Sikaflex works but this sounds even better.

Creating the proper seal is the key.

I agree that the compliancer would be responsible to re-do the job. But you may as well make sure the job is done right yourself if you feel confident doing so.

El Bee

Most defenatly dodgy filler neck/adaptor fitted for compliance.

My old R33 GTST never had the little flap in the nozzle so I dont think it had been changed and it never smelt and allways made the ppsshh noise. Current R33 GTR has a flap and doesnt make noise when you open it. When its low on fuel and you start the car and stick your head out the window to reverse, you can see the fumes and it stinks.

I have had car tuned like this and it didnt cause and fueling probs.

Only prob I see is when near full and twisty roads, its gonna make a mess.