SAU Community

Replacing Xenon Hid Globes For Compliance

Everlong-S13

Hi guys, I have an R34 GTT with Xenon HID Headlights.

Just wondering if anyone can tell if it's possible to simply pull out the Xenon HID globes and replace them with something legal? Or perhaps it will require a lot more modification?

Just wanted to find out if anyone knows before I start dismantling my headlights.

Appreciated.

I believe its just the matter of changing the globes. Simple plug and play really.

Grab yourself some cheap halogen bulbs from Supercheap or something.

Bulbs you need:

2 x H1 - Standard night driving lights

2 x 9005 - standard high beams.

It can depend on the state you are in. HIDs need to have auto levelers and washers if they are in Australia. This is according to ADR 13/00 Here's the link: http://www.comlaw.go...tml/Text#param0

There may be ways around it. But it would take arguing with the cops and maybe a court case to pull it off (see the section regarding lumen):

8]6.2.9.
Other requirements

8]

8] The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps.

025] Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.

75]With respect to vertical inclination the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. above shall not be applied for dipped-beam headlamps:

475](a) with LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam, or

475](b) with a light source producing the principal dipped beam and having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen.

35]

025] Only dipped-beam headlamps according to Regulations Nos. 98 or 112 may be used to produce bend lighting.

025]In my view, it looks like you "could" put in HIDs that use less then 2000 lumen (correct me if I am wrong). But I am no expert, so don't take my word for it. Do some research.

025]Do NOT take this as legal advice. Look up the site yourself and/or speak with a legal expert for advice.
Edited by Yin_Sun

I'm starting to think perhaps it's not a simple plug and play, there are numerous threads discussing complicated aspects of removing the Xenon HID's to fit regular H1's including talks of soldering, etc. I guess I'll just go in and have a look. Appreciate if anyone who has done this themselves could recommend best course of action.

Edited by Everlong-S13

It should be a straight swap plug and play. Can you take off the weather shield and post a pic of the bulb still in place and connected? My set of lights was just plug and play and I got aftermarket HID which were also plug and play so I can't confirm that it may be the exact same with factory HID but could be very similar.

Sure mate I will.

It seems most R34's have the Xenon HID's removed at compliance with regular H1's, which people then add an aftermarket HID kit to. But having the original Xenon HID's is a different kettle of fish I think.

Perhaps you had your original Xenon's removed?

mine looked like it had HIDs and i thought it did for ages, actually get behind the headlight area and try to pull out the holder for it, the way you do to change bulbs. turns out most r34s look factory but actually have normal head lights, usually those ice white ones.

Sure mate I will.

It seems most R34's have the Xenon HID's removed at compliance with regular H1's, which people then add an aftermarket HID kit to. But having the original Xenon HID's is a different kettle of fish I think.

Perhaps you had your original Xenon's removed?

Yeah I had my ballast removed and some wires inside the housing cut.

My current R34 still has the factory Xenons & my previous one had normal H1's

As far as I can see the plugs from my current car are different from my last one.

I get the impression the wires will have to be cut & new plugs that fit H1 globes need to be installed plus there is a little metal round thing that seems to convert the hole where the Xenon globe goes to fit a H1 globe.

I could be wrong as I have not had a very good look on my current car but I changed bulbs many many times on my last one & it def's looks different.

My GTT still has the factory xenon headlights, Complied in NSW.

i have never quite understood why some had to have them removed for being illegal. especially in regards to the auto levelling requirement,

I have never been able to locate in Regulation 77 (for gas discharge lights) a section where it states autolevelling is a requirement due to it being a gas discharge headlamp.

however it states quite cleary @ 6.2.6.2.2 in ADR 13 the following;

6.2.6.2. Headlamp levelling device

6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.

6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non‑continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means.

These manually adjustable devices must be operable from the driver's seat.

Continually adjustable devices must have reference marks indicating the loading conditions that require adjustment of the dipped-beam.

Which the GTT has to the right of the steering wheel.

I've never heard of them requiring washers (referring to a headlamp cleaning device?), with xenon being gas discharge and not LED and no light bending features are utilised in the headlights, in the section that was pasted in a previous comment - 6.2.9 where references 'principle dipped beam' (and the above 6.2.6.2.2 is not applied) that term is defined in those regulations @ 2.7.10.1 for sources utilising bend lighting. Objective luminous flux .. well thats objective isn't it :)

That's my take on it.. though i think my brain just melted. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, my import papers say i had the halogen bulb installed into my factory Xenons, but when i turn my lights on, i still get the "initial big flicker, then dim, then slow spread of light" - is this achievable with a halogen bulb? Thanks!

Only a few seconds? Haven't really thought to measure that. I just checked, and it turns out i have the manual height adjustment as well. Thing is, i cant seem to find the ballasts that should be there? I noticed the dust cap has not been tampered with