SAU Community

NRMA says its the fuel pump

Amir

3 weeks ago the car looses complete power (twice). After a little rest, it started back up again. The first time I was doing 120km/hr and the 2nd 60. After that didnt happen again until...

Yesterday, heading from sydney to canberra the same thing happened. This time it didnt start back up. Trying to start the car up again, the battery drains dead.

Had to get towed back to canberra from mittagong.

NRMA guy said it may be the fuel pump, but was not sure. Does this sound like the problem. Would I have damaged the engine in any way?

(on the bright side.... on the way to sydney, had a great time with a Merc compressor. Doesnt have the accelration like the r33, but got me at the top end. I hit 180 limiter and he kept on going).

You should be able to hear the fuel pump (not) working, so that makes it a bit of a no-brainer.

Possibility is the ignitor module (back of the engine on the rocker cover) - they pack up when they get hot - although you'd expect it to cause trouble more often than you've reported.

Originally posted by Amir

3 weeks ago the car looses complete power (twice). After a little rest, it started back up again. The first time I was doing 120km/hr and the 2nd 60. After that didnt happen again until...

Yesterday, heading from sydney to canberra the same thing happened. This time it didnt start back up. Trying to start the car up again, the battery drains dead.

Had to get towed back to canberra from mittagong.

NRMA guy said it may be the fuel pump, but was not sure. Does this sound like the problem. Would I have damaged the engine in any way?

(on the bright side.... on the way to sydney, had a great time with a Merc compressor. Doesnt have the accelration like the r33, but got me at the top end. I hit 180 limiter and he kept on going).

Best way and this works every time. Recharge battery and drive around until car plays up again. if it doesn start get a block of wood and hit underneath the tank and the acr should start. This will tell you straight away if it is the pump. The jolt along should start the pump again. usualy pumps start to die slowly and intermittently.