SAU Community

GTR against Euro supercars?

just saw a dvd of that Top Gear program (British) where they show a drag between an R33 GTR and a Maclarin F1. Obviously the Maclarin was much faster (looked about 2 seconds over the 1/4), but I was a little surprised that the GTR got it off the line.

I guess im wondering has anyone with a GTR had a bit of a run against something like a ferrari or a turbo porsche(a bit slower than a maclarin!)?I could imagine that a GTR with a bit of work done (even on stock turbos) could give one of these supercars a bit of a fright from time to time!

the first day I drove my GTR I pulled up next to a turbo porsche (newish one) who was tailgating me previously.

Anyway pulled up at the lights next to him. I got the best launch, but unfourtunately he decided to roll off the lights like my grandma! oh well maybe next time.

Anyone got a more exciting story?

sorry if this thread has been done before but I couldnt find anything?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think there's not much out there, that will beat/destroy a GTR in stock form. Either way a GTR will beat or at least keep up. Have you seen the Best Motoring drag compbat, with an R34 vs 996 Twin Turbo, the GTR get's him off the line but as soon as the 996 hits second/third he starts to catch an slowly leave the GTR

I personally think there's not much out there, that will beat/destroy a GTR in stock form. Either way a GTR will beat or at least keep up. Have you seen the Best Motoring drag compbat, with an R34 vs 996 Twin Turbo, the GTR get's him off the line but as soon as the 996 hits second/third he starts to catch an slowly leave the GTR

Na havent seen that one, although judging by what you have said I could see how a GTR coud beat one of these cars (especially on the road where some (not all) of the people who drive these cars can't pedal al that well. (no offense intended!)

I think when talking about fellow jap cars, not much that can beat GTR.

But if talking abt euro exotics, all those Lambo, Ferraris, 996 TT will surely give the GTR a beating like school bullies. GTR is a great car but still not up there to compete with those euro exotics, unless it's extensively modified.

However for $ to $ value, a GTR is still a much more affordable car.

I think when talking about fellow jap cars, not much that can beat GTR.

But if talking abt euro exotics, all those Lambo, Ferraris, 996 TT will surely give the GTR a beating like school bullies. GTR is a great car but still not up there to compete with those euro exotics, unless it's extensively modified.

However for $ to $ value, a GTR is still a much more affordable car.

I think it would take a very fast (expensive) euro car to give a GTR a 'complete beating'. I have got a lot of the 'top gear' videos at home and even some of the lambo's and ferrari's that they test aren't that impressively fast(some on the other hand are very fast). Just remember that there are some guys on this forum that have run high elevens with stock turbo's in there GTR's which isa very quick road car in anyones books.

Hmm... i've d/l heaps of vids (racked up quite a few $$ on my dialup bill too :P) of GTR vs other cars on track circuit racing. And GTR never wins.... it's always the Porsche who wins at the end of the 5 laps. If you have a vid to show that GTR kicks Porsche butt or any other euro exotics let me know wher I can get them.

Hmm... i've d/l heaps of vids (racked up quite a few $$ on my dialup bill too :P) of GTR vs other cars on track circuit racing. And GTR never wins.... it's always the Porsche who wins at the end of the 5 laps. If you have a vid to show that GTR kicks Porsche butt or any other euro exotics let me know wher I can get them.

I wasn't implying that a GTR would win around a track (stock for stock you hope it wouldn't). I was more interseted in straight line 1/4 mile stuff, and whether anyone has had a bit of fun on the road against one of these cars thats all.

Maybe you should buy some of my DVD's ? AHHAHAHA. man a R34 VSPEC II will smoke any porsche.

Maybe not a GT1 :P .

but for roadcar wise there is nothing that can beat the R34. look at the Mines R34 for an example. do you seriously think a mclaren can beat that...

go figure.

A Mines R34 is NOT a stock GTR. To be fair you have to compare stock to stock and compare Mines R34 GTR to a McLaren that has been tweaked by a similar garage. (E.g. Send a McLaren to Mines and ask them to tweak it then compare it against their own R34 GTR).

I am more interested to cars that can win in a circuit battle or similar (Touge, etc).

Cars that only win 1/4 mile but can't win in terms of cornering/handling/braking is not my ball of game. What's the title of the DVD u got that shows an R34 GTR beating the Euros?

A Mines R34 is NOT a stock GTR. To be fair you have to compare stock to stock and compare Mines R34 GTR to a McLaren that has been tweaked by a similar garage. (E.g. Send a McLaren to Mines and ask them to tweak it then compare it against their own R34 GTR).

I am more interested to cars that can win in a circuit battle or similar (Touge, etc).

Cars that only win 1/4 mile but can't win in terms of cornering/handling/braking is not my ball of game. What's the title of the DVD u got that shows an R34 GTR beating the Euros?

I dont think that someone who has spent a million or so (not sure exactly) on a Maclarin F1 would be off to Mines in a hurry for any 'much needed' performance upgrades.

There was an issue of MOTOR or Wheels i cant remember where they compared a 911 Turbo to a 34 GTR, stock and stock. The 911 beat it by 0.8 secs down the quater. However the prices of both vehicles gave an idea of some sort: R34 GTR $110,000 / 911 Turbo $310,000. :P imagine spending another 100g's let along 50g's and comming back to the porsche, skyline would ****in own it.

I dont think that someone who has spent a million or so (not sure exactly) on a Maclarin F1 would be off to Mines in a hurry for any 'much needed' performance upgrades.

not sure of hi level euro garages. maybe sent it to brabus then. but as far as I know brabus only do merc.

Staunch, i read that issue too. My bro subscribe to wheels. If I had a spare $150k lying around I would probably get a 2nd hand GTR over any 2nd hand porsche too.

I imagine a 2nd hand $110-150k porsche wouldn't be from one of the top end models. However on the other hand, a late model M3 would also be nice for that price range.

I think the morale of the story is that a GTR is the best value supercar dollar for dollar.

(And yes, I believe that a pure performance car that costs $150k+ new can be called that)

Talking about $150k, has someone seen any vid or do performance comparison between an M3 and R34 GTR? They both would cost about $150K brand new.....

Talking about $150k, has someone seen any vid or do performance comparison between an M3 and R34 GTR? They both would cost about $150K brand new.....

Hi Rianto, No need, unless your talking about the CSL, and that will still get eaten by any GTR. A friend of mine had the 2003 M3 SMG2, our GTR at the time was fairly stock, bleed valve set @ 1Bar, HKS Pods & Cat back exhausts. I ran him and blew him by an easy car and halfs length by the time I was out of first gear, and kept on pulling away. I believe the CSL is slightly quicker but still around the flat 5'sec 0-100.

My bro and I have lined up both the GTR & E55 a number of times, and regardless of the mods we've done to the GTR it always beats the benz off the line, then head to head with the benz pulling it in slowly. The only difference we've found is rolling starts, the benz with it's V8 Supercharged 710Newtons really does pull hard at any speed, and slowly leaves the GTR behind. The last offical rolling start was when the GTR had 270rwkw, and only then was it "slowly" pulling away from 60kmh rolling starts. Even with 270kw at the rears, any rolling start above 90-100kmh the benz is right up the bum of the GTR.

But I think the point is quite clear, "pretty much" regardless of who's going to run you in a GTR, 1) You'll either win... or 2) keep up and not be blown away "unless it's nigel's Supra or Leewah's GTR";)

But I think the point is quite clear, "pretty much" regardless of who's going to run you in a GTR, 1) You'll either win...  or 2) keep up and not be blown away "unless it's nigel's Supra or Leewah's GTR";)

Next time you visit Sydney come to the drags and I'll line you up against a few cars that will prove you dead wrong, its attitudes like this that give me the f*cking sh*ts with GTR drivers sure they're a great car but get over yourself they can be beat and dare I say it easily beat by a well set up gtst even

Next time you visit Sydney come to the drags and I'll line you up against a few cars that will prove you dead wrong, its attitudes like this that give me the f*cking sh*ts with GTR drivers sure they're a great car but get over yourself they can be beat and dare I say it easily beat by a well set up gtst even

yes Im sure there are cars that will blow a GTR. But there is not too much out there that will beat it easily out of factory.

Ofcourse a GTST, running a bigger turbo, nitto's, and on a good track could beat a stock GTR (on the road probably not).

I had an 33 GTST S2 before my GTR (had them both at the same time for a few weeks). the gtst had a FM, SAFC, 14PSI,and new tyres, and still couldnt keep up with my dead stock GTR(was even pulling away from a roll) (both cars running well)).

So it would have to be a very well set up GTST to take a GTR.

Also Im sure you have some mates in there VL's,torana', rotaries that will blow my stock GTR...big deal.

Im sure you wouldnt mind owning a GTR yourself :P

I had an 33 GTST S2 before my GTR (had them both at the same time for a few weeks). the gtst had a FM, SAFC, 14PSI,and new tyres, and still couldnt keep up with my dead stock GTR(was even pulling away from a roll) (both cars running well)).
Quite a while ago on a couple of cruises there was a bloke who owned a dead stock R33 GTR. Stock exhaust and all.

Just driving around I noticed that he wouldn't pull on WOT all through his and my gears.

Eventually we lined up.. He launched at 5000rpm I launched at 4000rpm but got slightly better reaction time that held me in front all the way until we backed off. Still got a video of the run laying around here some where. There was also a GENII VX 6 speed with an exhaust (the passenger was taking the vid) but her he was left a few car lengths behind.

Mine was fairly stock at the time.

Stock IC, 25degree's ign. timing, 12.5psi of boost and made 152rwkw.

I've done a few 0-100km/h times and it was around the flat to low 5secs.

I've also ran a R32 GTR that only had an exhaust.. Same thing it wouldn't pull away (it did blow lots of black smoke though)

Stock.. the GTR's are really only good off the line.

Once up and rolling they are nothing special.

Im sure you wouldnt mind owning a GTR yourself

No I chose not to buy a GTR as imo for low to mid $30k I was able to be a very quick highly modded 1996 GTST, I did look at a few lightly modded GTR's that were forsale for the same $$ but value wise the GTST was miles ahead of the GTR's in performance and value as I would of had to spend at least another $10k on the GTR to have made it maybe as fast as the GTST is

So it would have to be a very well set up GTST to take a GTR.

I've ran 11.7 @ 128mph in a GTST what have you run? or have you and meshmesh raced a few boy racers on the street and come to the opinion the GTR can not be beat hahaha don't make me laugh

Of course a GTST, running a bigger turbo, nitto's, and on a good track could beat a stock GTR (on the road probably not).

I run exactly the same set up on the street as I do at the drags and trust me when I tell you I have no problem beating most GTR's on the road or the strip, I know there are GTR's and even other GTST's that are quicker then me but I was replying to meshmesh's blanket statement of

But I think the point is quite clear, "pretty much" regardless of who's going to run you in a GTR, 1) You'll either win... or 2) keep up and not be blown away "unless it's nigel's Supra or Leewah's GTR"

Did he mention stock or out of factory, NO he didn't

Also Im sure you have some mates in there VL's,torana', rotaries that will blow my stock GTR...big deal.

hahaha the big deal is I wasn't talking about any of the cars you mentioned, I was talking about other imports I have mates in anything from a S15 to a R32-R33 gtst that will happily beat your unbeatable stock GTR at the strip or on the road