SAU Community

D.i.y Compliance

DAN00H

Before I commit to compliancing myself I think it'll be best to check out my Car when I get it today.

But at this stage I fail to see what is so hard about it....!..?...as long as I can find out exactly what parts I need and where to get them :rofl:

I have now performed 4 fairly major engine transplants in my time, SR20DET / FJ20ETs etc into places there not suppossed to be, and had them all licensed.

Welding an Intrusion bar, fitting seatbelts, should be a walk in the park!

But like I said i'll wait and see today :P

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me know how you get on with the Side intrusion bars as Im ready to buy now as well. Did you ask if they can be riveted in ?

Ive got the child restraint points to do this weekend. Bit by Bit ill get there :stupid:

No wories mike, I'll pull the door trims off this weekend have a look see as to whether I want to do it myself, if so I'll buy some Intrusion bars, I can grab some for you if you like also..?

BTW, took my car to weighbridge today, which is something you'll need came in at 1520kgs, costs $10 I used a place called Bulkwest on the corner of Stock and Russell rd Spearwood.

I think theres one on Gnagara rd for NOR people.

Welding an Intrusion bar, fitting seatbelts, should be a walk in the park!

You also need to fit approved side intrusion bars that can be signed off, I am Trade Certified in Mig and I dont do the bars, I also wont buy the ready made ones as they dont fit properly.

We have 5 cars to do and I will get them all done at Jap Parts as they are the best I have seen done here in WA.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.....

Put my car over the pits today.

In WA it costs 50 odd bucks, this gets you only 'one' go...not two as it used to be (another money grabbin Gov scam!)....$150 if a SEVS car (I know this because they tried to charge me it)

This bit of compliancing / licensing process is going to change dramatically for everyone no matter what state your in, as your Pit experiance is pretty much directly effected by the inspector you get (Some things dont change)

For me I got one hell of an old Miserable barst*d that I dearly wanted to punch in the head, especially after a few remarks about the age of my vehicle and why I would want one as most people sell cars at 15years because there 'Heaps of Sh*t', and a few other surly ****y remarks.

Anywho he took all of 5 mins looking at it 2 was spent looking for the engine number, 1 was spent trying to enter and exit the vehicle (old prick!) the other 2 he checked all lights, checked fuel filler neck, looked underneath and got me to go lock to lock on steering. That was it, didnt check seatbelts, tyres or placard, rear child restraint points etc.

(Basically I think he just went with what was on the engineers report)

Still failed my car due to not having an approved imobilzer fitted (Has car alarm) so have to take it back tommorow and quewe for another 30mins to pay another $50! to get licensed.....I HATE THE PITS!.

I saw your car at Raj's it look quite tidy, you should of paid the higher fee as it was a 15 year import, SEVS is the same as New cars at $54, they dont know what to charge as it depends on who you get.

They ask who signed it off and depends on who signed it depends on how hard they look, I have photos of one car the has small box tubing for side intrusion bars with one bit sliding into the other and then Centre Punched to stop it sliding, they were not impressed.

Yes Raj said you were down there :rofl:

And your right is is a very helpfull guy...there should be more like him in the buisness :rofl:

I Managed to sneak my car thru pits again today without paying second fee!...and it passed.

Forgot to take receipt of Payment for my vehicle to the licensing centre however, and after 45mins of sitting and waiting to be served was told it is imperitive this is with you or they wont license it (Proof of ownership-Had everything but that! :rofl: )

So now have to wait 'another' day :rofl:

You need certain belts to pass on the front which is a tag at the bottom of the belt saying ALR VW.

Rear need to be Lap Sash not just sash like most come with including RX7 and 300Z.

Nissans are cool they have front ALR-VW belts on 300Z's and DR31's I have done 1986 cars with no need to replace, not sure on 30's.

But Toyota dont have them on even 92 model cars and Mazda didnt have the good belts on Series 5 RX7's.

ALR-VW or ELR-VW???? with regards to seat belts?

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't get this. As somebody said before, the requirements for 15yr compliance are for the ADRs.. the Australian design rules, so I don't understand why each state should have different requirements. I sent an email to a Victorian compliancer and he called me and said that it would be better to have the car complied in Brisbane when it arrives as it works out to be a good $400 dollars cheaper. Why would it be cheaper in Brissy??

Dunno, but my dad got a quote for complying his '90 Merc in QLD for $850 (with a NSW eng. Cert.). The cheapest i could find in Sydney was $1500. His broker accidently sent the car to Syd instead of Bris as he asked for; and even with car freight to Bris it works out alot cheaper...

Something to do with the fact that the QLDers have been doing it longer than most other states??

the price difference doesnt have much to do with what actually is done, its like saying, sydney people get same fuel as ther places why is it so dear..

because your a highly populated area and as a group (all compliancers) figure theyc an charge more, as you can afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

PSI_GTSII I am glad you took your car to Rajesh at Jap Parts.. How did it all go?

Your car souns nice, given Driftt comment. He knows when to comment on a good looking car.