SAU Community

D.i.y Compliance

DAN00H

the restrictor is not needed as you can't purchase leaded from a servo, and the engineer tested the response and mounting ponits of the belts - ask your engineer why they need to be replaced!

Has spmething to do with lock-up rates. (I can't see how any of the Jap belts won't pass).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Driftt,

Can you tell me what WA specifically requires for eng certificate, not including what Danooh has mentioned?

ie. do we need leaded fuel restrictor, flat drivers mirror...etc

Also do you know where i can get in touch with an engineer (in WA) that would be willing to sign off on work that I'll do myself?

What about the Aircon? The oil needs to be replaced in the compressor cause it is Vegetable base i am led to beleive and will react with the OZ type aircon Gas which needs a mineral based oil. Also then the Drier needs to be done as well. My wife just got a 15Yr GTR and that is the only thing to do apart from the paint work.

Does the cat converter have to be replaced on a 15 year vehicle?

I have been thinking that I could do it as I can:

* change tyres to australian ones

* change cat (if required)

* affix rear child restraint points

* change seat belts (where do you buy these? are they model specific?)

* stick on "unleaded only" sticker (steal from other car :))

The only thing I can think of that I can't do myself would be the intrusion bars..

What will a compliance shop say if you just wanted them to do the intrusion bars and check everything off for final engineers certificate? bugger off? or won't they care you're doing most of the work?

Predator..............In Qld, if the tyres are still roadworthy then there is no need to replace them for compliance on 15yo vehicles. Provided your CAT is fitted to the vehicle, again no need to replace it.

Seatbelts can be purchased at places like Supercheap, the packaging will tell you if they fit your vehicle.

VIN plate can be ordered from any engravers.

High mount stop light is required for vehicles manufactured after June 1989.

Flat glass on Drivers side mirror is required.

side intrusion bars are obviously required. (beware of workshops using incorrect sized bars)

Fuel neck restrictor needs to be fitted, Can be purchased at parts store.

As far as workshops doing only intrusion bars.........some may well decide it is not worth the effort. (It has been said that some workshops won't do half the job because people trying to save a couple of hundred bucks are the "high maintenance" customers...ie: whingers) Not my words :)

Most compliance workshops are busy at this time of year (especially THIS year) So it may be an idea to wait until the new year to have your vehicle complied, as higher volume, regular customers will tend to be a higher priority to these workshops.

tyre's do need to be replaced if not certified to the appropiate Aust standard. Can't remember what numbers but it is printed on the side wall.

If they have a DOT number or a E marking if tread is legal they shoud be fine, it is luck of the draw, got 3 in at work today and 2 had brand new tyres that were E marked so they were luck only one set of tyres out of three.

What about the Aircon? The oil needs to be replaced in the compressor cause it is Vegetable base i am led to beleive and will react with the OZ type aircon Gas which needs a mineral based oil.

If you use SP34E gas in your Air Con you dont need to replace the oil in the compressor, the site will explain more. http://www.solpower.com/sp34e/sp34emain.asp

When I registered the DR30 they checked the tags on the seatbelts for the ADR compliance

You need certain belts to pass on the front which is a tag at the bottom of the belt saying ALR VW.

Rear need to be Lap Sash not just sash like most come with including RX7 and 300Z.

Nissans are cool they have front ALR-VW belts on 300Z's and DR31's I have done 1986 cars with no need to replace, not sure on 30's.

But Toyota dont have them on even 92 model cars and Mazda didnt have the good belts on Series 5 RX7's.

How do you put rears in a car that came with lap only?  It looked too hard so I chucked the rear seats out and registered it as a 2 door

A hole is required and usualy it is their just under a panel some where, like on the 300 we have a template so we drill a hole n the plastic trim and the nut is their already.

I will confim tomorrow what you need to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my car is now sitting in my driveway, its all nice and clean, and pretty much ready to be driven.. now just this compliance :)

As far as I can tell my drivers mirror *is* flat, as in a flat surface already.. or are we talking about the way it makes things look smaller? Where might I find the correct glass that will fit??

As my car has the standard R32 spoiler LED will this count as the "high mount stop light" or will i have to install another??

Yeah my DR30 came with lap only, there was a provision for lap sash behind the rear quater panel trim. I installed non retractable lap sash seat belts, and also replaced the front seat belts just to be safe!

Heres what i know after recently going through the compliance process on my last car. This is for WA.

Driver side rear view mirror must be flat. Check by placing a flat edge across and see if the image looks curved. It only needs to be slightly convex and it will not pass. Take mirror to any glass/mirror shop and theyl change it in half an hour for about $20.

Belts: My car had the correct standard belts already and was a 2 seater so it didnt require any modification here. To have it done by a RAWS costs around $300-400. You can easily DIY if your okay with cutting trims. (never done it, just seen it) See DRIFTT's post

Tyres: If you're lucky youll get your car with some E or DOT tyres - just look for a circle with an 'E" in it or the word DOT. If not, get some cheap secondhands or swap wheels with a mate.

Placard/Fuel Sticker: you can make these at home - by far the easiest way is to print the design onto thick paper (i like photo) and then just laminate it or you can even use contact if you really need to. They will look at it for about half a second just to see its firmly affixed.

Catalytic Converter: Pretty much have to have one. I had to buy a new one and have it installed, $200. Also, its a good idea to hook up/dummy any pollution gear that should be on the exhaust to avoid getting picked on for that.

Fuel Restrictor: You can buy these from RAWS for around $15-20, and have it installed as cheaply as $30. (Anyone know where to buy them other than RAWS?) A pipe expander tool is inserted into the old neck and when operated expands the neck diameter enough for the new filler to be put in. Its usually siliconed in place. Havn't really heard of any DIY on this, anyone done it themselves?

Intrusion Bars: the biggie. Alot of people dont want the hassle of putting it in themselves, so you can have them fitted for anywhere form $300-400 depending on car. Some models have them factory fitted. But you can do it yourself of course (i like the sound of those rivet-only ones. Sounds easy!)

Thatrs not everything, theres bound to be more that crops up but theyre the big things that needed to be done on mine, hopefully it cleared things up for some.

blacky

Well i did a quick run around..

Seatbelts.. Recpo quoted. .$90 each for fronts.. $100 each for rears.. and $60 for centre = total : $440. Supercheap might do a bit cheaper, they sell same brand.

I have to find the exact part number from "Klippan" the manufacturer, as they only had listed Aussie R31.. And the fronts in the imports have the "loop" that goes around that bottom bar, rather than a bolt shackle which would make them different for a start.

Child restraints: $12.50 each from Supercheap (repco has them too)... they're easy.

Tyres: Well unfortuanately, even though the fronts are roadworthy Bridgestone Potenzas (good tyres) I can't see any "E" or DOT market on the sidewall.. Rears are nearly bald anyhow, will need replacing.

EDit: Looking closely I can find a small E4 in a circle - would this be it?

Blacky: good tip on the mirror.. just did the paper test then.. yup, it's slighty curved there. I was thinking visit to glass shop.. one of my windows has scratches too.. they might be able to help buff them out??

So by the time I get the intrusion bars done for $400 or so.. looking like I may only save $200 by the time I do most things.