SAU Community

Crank Pulley Installation Tool - Can Anyone Help? :)

JustinP

I'm just wondering if anyone in the Perth area (I'm in Vic Park) has a crank pulley installation tool that I could borrow tomorrow? I will come and pick it up / return it, put a deposit down, provide beer etc :P

Or alternatively, know where I could buy one at a reasonable price to suit Nissan engines, either today, or tomorrow?

I have a really tight Ross balancer and I'm going to need a proper tool to get it on :/

Cheers!

Justin

You dont really need an install tool to fit the balancer on an RB. Its ideal yes. But not a massive requirement.

You can just use the bolt to press it on as it has a large thread. But it can't be too tight a fit.

The reason they have have those install tools is for engines where the crank pulley bolt is only a 10 or 12mm bolt and will not be able to press the balancer on.

When i was looking at doing this, i looked at buying the tool to do it. They were all a generic tool with threads, adapters etc to fit a lot of engines. However none came with the M16/18? shank to suit the RB25 crank.

In the end, i just pressed it on with the crank pulley, it was actually a walk in the park. Pressed on very nice and easily. Put anti seize on the crank and wound the bolt in then torqued it. Easy.

The interference fit was very close to ROSS' specifications though.

I'm not sure how out yours is? You need a telescoping gauge and micrometer to creaturely measure the crank and the ID of the balancer.

EDIT - If its too tight you can't fit it period, this was done by a friend of mine with his ROSS balancer onto his engine, he didn't have a care in the world for specifications or the interference fit. Needless to say, when it was time to get the balancer off, it was almost impossible too and the crank had been damaged from such a tight interference fit.

Cheer's Kitto, I will give the standard bolt a go. At first I didn't think it would fit on at all, although I just measured with digital callipers. I sent it back to Ross and he checked it with a proper inside mic and the measurements were apparently all good and within spec, so I will give it another crack tomorrow with the standard bolt.

It is a pretty chunky bolt, should be OK I think.

The balancer should just sit on the tip of the crank before it stops. Then you start winding the bold in.

Make sure you put never seize on the crank.

Thanks Kitto, you were right, it went on pretty easy.

Not happy with Ross, I just got the balancer back from them and they have dropped it, putting a huge dent in it (picture attached). The box they sent it back in was fine so it was obvious they dropped it before sending it back. :rant: I put it on anyway, hopefully it will be alright.

post-31977-0-43132300-1353741026_thumb.jpg

Far out, thats bad! Id be looking at them getting it fixed, especially for what they cost.

Yes I should complain given the cost, but to be honest I'm sick of dealing with them and waiting to actually install it, so I'm just going to leave it. It shouldn't have any effect on it balance or function, or at least I hope!

Dude if your 100% sure that the damage was NOT there when you sent it dont ask ROSS.... DEMAND a brand new one... Its called a HARMONIC BALANCER for a reason... Not a banged up lump of steel and rubber to drive belts!!! The fact they sent it back like that is INEXCUSEABLE imo..

PS: Make sure you torque the bolt correctly? Not the old "Impact/Rattle Gun" She'll be right method....Its the Number 1 cause of oil pump failures on RB's......Crappy chinese (were many branded items now come from), old clapped out balancers are up there aswell.