SAU Community

Gtr Joey's R32 Gtr E-Flex, Twinscroll 83/75 Results

and i forgot to give a Shout out to Geoff at Full-Race for answering any of the questions i had and reply back to quickly :D

hello sir!! Very nice to see your thread, looks like things are working well for you. When we first spoke, your requirement was 400KW with fast spool, so I specced the Borg Warner 83-75 w/ flat tip turbine wheel and .91 a/r. This is an excellent match to your requirement - but as you found when you went to turn the boost up it did not make more power. This is (duh) becuase you will need a larger compressor wheel and/or higher flowing turbine side (cupped tip and/or larger AR housing would be a good starting point).

If you wish make more power I am more than happy to help. You can either change your turbos' housings or change to a different supercore (turbo less turbine housing) which would allow you to use the existing turbine housing and plumbing, just changing the rotors.. There are many solutions, but I do not think the preicision will be the end all solution. up to you guys of course!

Thanks for the reply Geoff, as you stated when we first spoke I was just looking to make the 400rwkw and as shown, the turbo you recommended did the job with the kind of response I was looking for..

But you know how it is, always power hungry :D

Ideally I would love to have a turbo just as responsive but able to take some more boost and not flatten out up the top like mine currently does. Like you said I could achieve more power by upgrading either the housings or core..

What new bits of gear does BW have that will allow me to make an easy change over while making more top and and keeping the response if possible..

Btw I love the sound of the BW and would like to keep that unique sound as well :D

i will have results in a month or some for the borgwarner s362 fmw which will be interested shuld get a little more up top with same response, car is currently get a respray then just needs a tune :) will be on a 3L tho

Edited by t04z

when we first spoke I was just looking to make the 400rwkw and as shown, the turbo you recommended did the job with the kind of response I was looking for..But you know how it is, always power hungry :D Ideally I would love to have a turbo just as responsive but able to take some more boost and not flatten out up the top like mine currently does. Like you said I could achieve more power by upgrading either the housings or core.. What new bits of gear does BW have that will allow me to make an easy change over while making more top and and keeping the response if possible.. Btw I love the sound of the BW and would like to keep that unique sound as well

There are 4 options of varying work to consider for your 60mm compressor / flat tip 75mm turbine / 0.91 ar housing:

a) turbine housing swap to 1.00 a/r - this will allow you make another 30-40kw at the top end, losing only 100rpm spool, very simple easy and fast to do

b) turbine wheel swap to cupped tip - on the .91 a/r this will allow you to make ~30-40kw more, losing only 100rpm spool in the midrange. I did a test on a friends supra not too long ago if youd like to see. Slightly more work than a housing swap but not much. FYI BW's airwerks turbos are "component" balanced, meaning the turbine wheel is balanced independantly of the compressor wheel. This allows service in the field : you can take the turbo apart, remove the turbine wheel and install the different turbine wheel - not necessary to balance.

c) the compressor wheel will probably be out of breath around ~450kw so if you want more than that it would be wise to step up to in compressor wheel size. The S300SX 9180 is a 66mm inducer thats VERY impressive - but will spool later. For an RB30 i think that is the S300SX of choice.

d) EFR 8374 1.05 is what i believe the perfect single turbo for an RB26. I ran all the S300 turbos on my RB26 for a while then when i switched to the EFR i got the spool of the smallest S300 with the powerband of the big one, not to mention the sound is intoxicating. This to me is my best setup ive run in the last 7 years. Obviously these turbos arent cheap and there is still a wait on the external WG versions (internal gate twinscroll 8374s are shipping regularly at the moment) but i do think that if you are looking for the fastest response and 500kw power target, this would do the job better than any other turbo Im aware of

i will have results in a month or some for the borgwarner s362 fmw which will be interested shuld get a little more up top with same response, car is currently get a respray then just needs a tune :) will be on a 3L tho

the FMW S300 is a great turbo - very similar to the EFR 8374 in terms of compressor flow. Which turbine wheel and housing did you go with? FYI the larger displacement 3L engine would typically benefit from more compressor if youre going to really push it so I typically recommend the larger S300SX 9180 with .91 a/r. of course if you want the response the FMW will do it

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

So if it was between option a) and b), option 1 would be the best option as its a bit less stuffing around and it would essentially yield the same result, that correct?

I would be very interested to see the supra result if you would like to post it up :D

Obviously the external gate EFR 83/74 would be the best option for my set up?

How much longer would it be until they are available?

Will it line up with my current set up ( mostly concerned about the dump pipe lining up)

How much to purchase and get it to Australia

Cheers

• 2 months later...

There are 4 options of varying work to consider for your 60mm compressor / flat tip 75mm turbine / 0.91 ar housing:

a) turbine housing swap to 1.00 a/r - this will allow you make another 30-40kw at the top end, losing only 100rpm spool, very simple easy and fast to do

b) turbine wheel swap to cupped tip - on the .91 a/r this will allow you to make ~30-40kw more, losing only 100rpm spool in the midrange. I did a test on a friends supra not too long ago if youd like to see. Slightly more work than a housing swap but not much. FYI BW's airwerks turbos are "component" balanced, meaning the turbine wheel is balanced independantly of the compressor wheel. This allows service in the field : you can take the turbo apart, remove the turbine wheel and install the different turbine wheel - not necessary to balance.

c) the compressor wheel will probably be out of breath around ~450kw so if you want more than that it would be wise to step up to in compressor wheel size. The S300SX 9180 is a 66mm inducer thats VERY impressive - but will spool later. For an RB30 i think that is the S300SX of choice.

d) EFR 8374 1.05 is what i believe the perfect single turbo for an RB26. I ran all the S300 turbos on my RB26 for a while then when i switched to the EFR i got the spool of the smallest S300 with the powerband of the big one, not to mention the sound is intoxicating. This to me is my best setup ive run in the last 7 years. Obviously these turbos arent cheap and there is still a wait on the external WG versions (internal gate twinscroll 8374s are shipping regularly at the moment) but i do think that if you are looking for the fastest response and 500kw power target, this would do the job better than any other turbo Im aware of

the FMW S300 is a great turbo - very similar to the EFR 8374 in terms of compressor flow. Which turbine wheel and housing did you go with? FYI the larger displacement 3L engine would typically benefit from more compressor if youre going to really push it so I typically recommend the larger S300SX 9180 with .91 a/r. of course if you want the response the FMW will do it

Geoff,

Do you think with a 2.8 litre I would be able to get away with using a bigger rear housing and cupped tip on the S300SX FMW and have similar response to Joe's ?

• 6 months later...