SAU Community

Fuel Question

Edmonds

Hi just found out my skyline has had the ecu tuned to run e42 fuel. I am wanting to know if I need a retune to run 98 pump fuel, previous owner said its ok to run 98, but would like to find out what others think, just to be certain its ok to do. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I would be quierying why it was tuned for ethanol mix when ethanol is not available @ pumps here in the west

Why query it? Plenty of cars still running on ethanol here, it's not like it's hard to buy it by the barrel, it's just expensive. I think you will find this also explains Wedge's question; ie. because ethanol is so expensive to run here, ~E40 is a common blend because often you won't make a hell of a lot more power with E70 or E85 so why use the extra ethanol?

OP, do you know if the ECU has a flex-fuel setup or just a straight E42 tune? If it is only tuned on E42 and not with an ethanol content sensor, then it will definitely need a retune to run straight petrol. If it has a flex-fuel setup then 98 will be fine :thumbsup:

Why query it? Plenty of cars still running on ethanol here, it's not like it's hard to buy it by the barrel, it's just expensive. I think you will find this also explains Wedge's question; ie. because ethanol is so expensive to run here, ~E40 is a common blend because often you won't make a hell of a lot more power with E70 or E85 so why use the extra ethanol?

OP, do you know if the ECU has a flex-fuel setup or just a straight E42 tune? If it is only tuned on E42 and not with an ethanol content sensor, then it will definitely need a retune to run straight petrol. If it has a flex-fuel setup then 98 will be fine :thumbsup:

Fair enough. I just assume eveyone is as lazy as i am and would rather the ECU sort the mixture %, rather then me doing it in my garage.

Can you recommanded an E85 supplier in Perth?