SAU Community

Defected - Still Want Turbo Sound Though

hop1308

Hey guys, so I've got a R34 GT-T and i just got defected a little while ago for a bunch of things which ive fixed up. but i also got defected for having a pod filter that wasn't enclosed, apparently its a fire hazard or whatever..

anyways so ive put the old stock box back in and cleared all the defects and my car is good to go now. but the issue is i was just so used to driving a car that had some sort of blow off/turbo sound. now i dont hear a thing.

I dont want to just simply put the pod back on because any cop can see that and defect it easily.

is there anything i could do to get the turbo sound back? i was considering leaving the stock airbox there but not connected, and connecting the pod filter under somewhere and hiding it away, but that seems too much of a headache to do.

so yeah, pretty much i want the sound back but i want to be able to get away with it without being defect by most cops, i dont mind it being defectable, i just want it to be shifty or hidden or anything like that.

any ideas guys?

The pod filter really makes the induction and associated blow of sounds much much louder and meatier. What you've been hearing so far. Theres not much you can do except for fitting an aftermarket BOV or adjusting your current one which will make the lift of pssstt sound, but you wont hear any extra noise otherwise.

You can fit a speaker system which mimicks the turbo. They have systems for both outside and inside the cabin noise. Do you want more do you want others to hear it? These are really dumb thought unless your doing it as a joke. Personally I would leave it the way it is now.

I'm not sure if the 34 is the same as the 33 but, if there is a soft pillow thing in the lid of the airbox, pull it out.

You will hear a bit more turbo spool and maybe some more Bov. Do you have a factory Bov? They are pretty quiet.

Also a silicon intake pipe or better yet a metal intake pipe will change the sounds again.

I have done all of these and currently have No pillow, GTR Bov and a metal intake pipe made by scotty nm35.

Spool noise is there but Bov doesn't even really make the same noise as before. Due to Scotty's design, I actually get a little bit of flutter as the Bov releases straight into the turbo blades rather than the sidewall of the stock or silicon pipes.

I love it !!!

Why would'nt you just put the pod in an enclosure - keeps the sound and gets the cops off your back.

They come in carbon fibre

http://justjap.com/s...&cat=272&page=3

Or you can have them in a colour to suite your car

facing same problem.... its illegal to not have a pod filter enclosed but having one in itself is not illegal as far as I know

Just get an enclosure like the one suggested above...

or this one which is cheaper....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251195349599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Im going to fit a blitz turnflow intercooler this friday

does anyone know if any mods will need to be made to the above enclosures to attach this to cover the pod?

seems like making a box for it is the best way to go. however, i remember the cop told me that the box must enclose the pod completely, that is from underneath, ontop and the sides with only one hole for the air to leave.

so the pod covers linked above would still be defectable then im guessing?

it seems like they just want the stock airbox look but with a pod filter inside it..

Stock airbox, hiflow panel fitler, metal intake pipe. That will give you loud induction sound. The BOV sound is reduced, I don't really notice it at all unless I was am accelerating hard on full boost, but that doesn't worry me too much.

seems like making a box for it is the best way to go. however, i remember the cop told me that the box must enclose the pod completely, that is from underneath, ontop and the sides with only one hole for the air to leave.

so the pod covers linked above would still be defectable then im guessing?

it seems like they just want the stock airbox look but with a pod filter inside it..

can anyone confirm this? trying to make my car as non defectable as possible but really dont want to give up the bov sound

can anyone confirm this? trying to make my car as non defectable as possible but really dont want to give up the bov sound

ill confirm it for you, im 100% on this, i looked into it a fair bit. it has to be completely enclosed to avoid a fire hazard because the pod filter is made of paper after all. to avoid the paper catching on fire it needs to be completely enclosed.

i really dont get the point of those half assed covers on justjap and ebay that only cover the top of it.

so does this mean if you have the stock air setup with a metal intake pipe, the induction sound will remain?

I had a look a while back and could not find a metal intake Pipe for a GTT that will connect to a stock airbox, all the ones I found were for POD filters.. Might have another look around maybe someone had made one now..

What got done for me was just a straight piece of pipe with the ends still silicone joiner, like http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R32-HNR32-HCR32-GTS-RB20DET-TURBO-SILICONE-INTAKE-INDUCTION-HOSE-/251199737738?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7cabcf8a&_uhb=1#ht_1660wt_923 , basically just using the curve at the top and the intakes for the BOV and the oil breather hole section to connect onto the front of the turbo.

By using the bare minimum we were able to get a metal intake that won't suck shut and just enough silicone to connect up to the stock airbox, so far it's been fine even after the new tune that is 242rwkw. Sometimes just gotta think about a slightly less obvious solution.