SAU Community

R33 Gts-T Stalling Issue

FiReBuG

So I've been having this issue lately on and off where the engine looses power. The best way to describe it would be it's like turning off the car except all the electrics, dash, lights and everything else works perfectly it's just the engine cutting out.

I've had it into the mechanics and like usual they couldn't get it to do it. So they have given me the usual check list. Wriggle the loom with the car running and try to cause the problem, change AFM and back the BOV off a bit but I'm still having this issue. The problem is it might not do it for a day or two then just when I begin to think the problem has gone, BAM cuts out again then it will play up every 100m. Sometimes it will only loose power for a split second other time it will do it for a 30 or 40 seconds. It happens any time from being stopped at lights to cruising at 100km/h. Normally it will stall then I will turn it on and it fires fine for maybe .5 of a second then it stalls do that 3 or 4 times till it finally stays running. I have noticed when it has stalled while the revs are still dropping if I hold the accelerator in the boost gauge moves from vacuum to 0 and I can hear a slight sucking noise. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on anything or not but it's about the most I can come with.

The fuel gauge is also playing up which has me thinking maybe there could be an electrical fault in the pump craddle somewhere and the fuel pump is loosing power.

Anyone had this problem before or does anybody have any idea's of what else I could try? It's really doing my head in.

Also the car is relatively stock just has a front facing plenum, front mount, exhaust and boost-T.

Thanks

Could be a fuel pump issue. Could also be a wiring issue. It'd be worth checking that the loom is plugged into the ecu properly. Had a similar issues with a mates 33 when changing ecus. Just had to push the loom in a bit firmer and the issue went away.

Have you checked fault codes?

I actually was told to check the ECU was plugged in properly and I completely forgot so I will try that asap.

As for fault codes that's when you plug a laptop into that plug under the dash? I haven't I assume my mech did but found nothing. He told me it needs to stall and pretty much not start again for him to be able to diagnose it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I had this same issue and still haven't had it solved to this day, Its really annoying and really dangerous especially in heavy traffic when the car stalls randomly.

The best things I have been able to come up with where some kind of ground wire that was earthing out possibly, I also once gave my ECU a shake and it caused it to stall, but then it all of sudden stopped for 3 months, I took mine to auto electrician who didn't plug it in to check fault codes because for some reason he thought not too, i would recommend getting that done.. Good luck if you find a fix definitely let me know if you do, its been annoying me for so long.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a very old thread but my r32 is doing the same things. It will completely cut out when driving like I turned it off, then just fire up again and keep driving like nothing was wrong. What has got me worried is the other day it was warming up and stalled, but came back on then a lot if black smoke was coming out the exhaust and it was idleing high like 2000 rpm. But when I drive it, it was fine.

If you guys found the problem please let me know.