SAU Community

Brand New Clutch Faulty?

Seano350GT

Alright so i thought i'd try my luck over this side of the forum.

I have just recently installed a brand new and upgraded gearbox, clutch and flywheel. Along with these parts there is a brand new rear main seal, throw out bearing, pivot ball, ss clutch lines. Brand new amsoil gear oil and penrite clutch fluid.

Basically what's happening is when i press the clutch in to change gear there is a sort of rubbing/gurgle sound which can slightly be felt through the pedal but more so you can hear it. If you can imagine the clutch spinning and rubbing against something that's what it's like.

The clutch is a basic Southbend (exedy) and i have driven 500km on all this new gear. Just wondering, has anyone heard of an issue like this happening with brand new parts? Could it be a clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder? i'm not sure if any of these were inspected when the job was done.

Just last week i put the car back up on the hoist at the workshop that did the job for me and we did some troubleshooting. i was in the car, going through the gears in the air with the car on. What happens is the higher the gear you go, there is a awful rattle coming from the gearbox. Directly inside the gearbox too. My mech that did the job says he's never heard of this happening with a car before especially with brand new parts.

Just thought i'd add that in there, we can't seem to work out what the problem could be..

thanks

when you say, "upgraded gearbox", new, rebuilt, second hand, brand, details?

also, standard case?

clutch may not be suitable for the box.

sounds like could be internal in the box.

could also be clutch for rubbing on pressure plate.

single plate clutch?

did you replace the spigot bearing?

when you say, "upgraded gearbox", new, rebuilt, second hand, brand, details?

also, standard case?

clutch may not be suitable for the box.

sounds like could be internal in the box.

could also be clutch for rubbing on pressure plate.

single plate clutch?

did you replace the spigot bearing?

It's a brand new gearbox, my car comes with a CD001 and i have upgraded to a CD009 which has stronger synchro's and it comes stock in the 06-07 models. It's a direct fit and replacement. Standard case yes. I spoke to the supplier who is ConceptZperformance in the USA, I have been dealing with the owner Coz and he says it is very very unlikely the gearbox is faulty from factory. Yep it's a single plate clutch, not sure about the spigot bearing/bush i've just emailed Coz again to see if it came with the new box or not. Would an old/worn spigot bush cause the clutch to sound like it's rubbing though?

Edited by Seano350GT

my mate has a single plate clutch in his s15 he says his makes the same noise as mine and that it's normal for them. He said it took 1000km for his to stop being so loud but it's still noticeable. im gonna drive his car this week and see the difference.. will report back

• 2 weeks later...

did anyone find out what was going on with his tranny? mine does the same thing...but mine does it only at innitial take off from a standing point...and i have to just take off and not mind the noise and it goes away then it drives and shifts normal???, but it sound horrible when it happens.. or i just clutch in and try to take off again and it goes away? what could be causing this.....? and it doesnt do it all the time? i put it in first and slowly release clutch to take off and it seems to be grinding on something or as stated above...? i took my whole engine out and tranny. now ive been told it could be a faulty throw out bearing but im not sure? the throw out bearing spins so much so i think that indicates its bad, so i bought a new one and its gonna be replaced...but in meen while im replacing the rear main ceal since engine and tranny are parted. clutch looks great along with pressure plate so it cant be that?...no burn or worn out marks on fly wheel nor clutch.... could it be a bad transmission..? but this kinda just kreepd up and starting doing it out of knowhere...??? i also bought a new pilot bushing... so im replacing that aswell....anyone have any past expiriances with a similar issue? also fluid lever was good so it wasnt running dry or anything.(redline light weight shock proof) (ugrading to amsoil when i put it back) i dont wanna put it back after replacing the main ceal, pilot bushing and throw out bearing.... if its a bad transmission....i doubt the transmissionn is bad because it only does it at initial takeoff..... it ingages fine without any noise or anything...???

?

• 1 month later...

i know this thread is supper old but i found out what wus happening with my tranny noises....it turns out my pilot bushing wus an automatic pilot bushing instead of a manual transmission one. it stuck out about an eight of an inch out and was supper thick meterial compared to the ones provided in clutch kits. . when i got the swap they must have had an automatic trans and switched it with a 5speed and just bolted it up and sold it as is....check your swaps when buying guys......

• 1 year later...

Old thread but 2 cents worth as below: :rolleyes:

ummmm very interesting as i am suspecting the same thing with my car now (5 speed Manual 1999 C34 stagea RS4S). I only get a very nosiy werrring bearing sound sound when clutch pedel is depressed. It makes the noise if the car is moving or not. Hence it cant be gear box as the car is stationary ( not rolling or moving)??? The only thing turning is the thrust bearing or the pilot bearing !!!

The funny thing is it is a little intermittent, as sometimes it doesnt make any noise and shifting is all good. But when it does make the noise it makes the actaul gear change very notchy in all gears. ( Almost like you are trying to change gears with out uisng the clutch).

Hence i come to the conclusion that the pilot bearing is still grabbing ( Partly ceased) onto the input shaft and making the shaft turn hence gear changes are a little harder in all gears.

If it was the gear box that was damaged it would difficult to change gear all the time!!!

By the way i changed the oil in the box and still have the same issue - no rubbish came out of the old oil ( I was looking for metal as bearing might have colapsed in box but no such luck)

Conclusion:

Looks like i will be pulling the box ( bloody heavy looking thing) out to fix a bearing that will only cost what $20 :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

And if i get some other prick to do it then it will probably cost what $800 in labour for a box out and in job to replace the $20 pilot bearing. :domokun:

is that 2 cents worth or $820.02 worth :verymad:

i know this thread is supper old but i found out what wus happening with my tranny noises....it turns out my pilot bushing wus an automatic pilot bushing instead of a manual transmission one. it stuck out about an eight of an inch out and was supper thick meterial compared to the ones provided in clutch kits. . when i got the swap they must have had an automatic trans and switched it with a 5speed and just bolted it up and sold it as is....check your swaps when buying guys......

interresting that you say that there are pilot bearings for man and auto box's