SAU Community

Your Exhaust System - Post Your Setup

C34S2STAG

Hey guys in in the market for an exhaust but would like to get a data base of stagea exhaust system

State your car, engine and system as below,

S2 C34 RB25DET

Stock dump>gutted cat>stock mid muffler>blitz rice maker muffler

Keen to see what others are running and discuss what performs better. Personally I think local custom is the way to go, the Jap stuff is just too expensive for what it is.

Post up your system!

Can you state your desired power output also as this will have more impact on the noise and expense of any system you require.

For stock power the stock exhaust is the pick, with a decent front/dump.

Most aftermarket Jap systems cant be beaten on noise V flow.

As much power as possible is always the go isn't it? Haha not too fussed on loudness too be honest just after people's system to gather information etc what do you scotty? Another thing, stainless steel vs mild? Best sizes? Types of muffler for best flow?

Well if its auto, you will worry about loudness, as they drone about 50 times more than the manuals, and are excuriating

to stay in, if its manual, just get all 3 inch and fart cannon and thats it

C34 :

I've had dump, no meow, full jap n1 fart cannon system, no mid muffler. 3 inch .., coudn't stay in it for more than 20 minutes without wanting to kill somebody due to drone , on the upside ...sounded like angry GTR on fullnoise even if it was slow

then mid muffler..no real friggin difference, had to drive to melbourne with earplugs in, as the drone is worst at 100km, mid muffler now shits me as its lowest point of car and always scrapes on speed humps

then mid muffler and chambered muffler necked to 2 1/2(not my friggin doing)..ultra quiet(to quiet)

Atm going 38mm ex gate for full throttle noise, and check on dyno if chambered muffler kills

power with 38mm gate. If it does will fit a boost operated solenoid with flapper valve after mid muffler to open under full boost , if it doesn't kill

power, i will just remove mid muffler.

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

Locally made 3" straight thru including 12" oval mid muffler and a monster rear can 18" fat (cbf going out to measure it) dead quiet and still makes plenty of power. It is quieter and better than a Jap system with no sneaky steps down in diameter inside some Jap mufflers.

As much power as possible is always the go isn't it? Haha not too fussed on loudness too be honest just after people's system to gather information etc what do you scotty? Another thing, stainless steel vs mild? Best sizes? Types of muffler for best flow?

The best size is a 5 inch sidepipe, but we need to compromise for the street. Noise for the sake of it is just asking for police attention.

I run a 3.5 inch stainless system, it is only just big enough for the power I am running atm. I use a Varex muffler to control noise when I go through an RBT etc, otherwise it is actually fairly quiet at wot when open. It does drone though. I only use stainless as mild systems rust out too quickly, especially with ethanol.

I had the Varex running a boost actuator, it didn't work well though as the exhaust was too restrictive when the valve was closed. Response was affected mainly, which you don't want on an auto. Hopefully your design works better Jet, perhaps just a spring actuated flap might be a better option?

I'm not sure if i'll need it scotty, as i would be happy with 300rwkw auto, i would have thought that this system with venting

38mm external gate would do it..we will see i guess, i'll pull it of on dyno . , otherwise i will use this

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/SP_Exhaust_Cutout_3__34___Boost_Activated_/3673

after mid muffler

cheers

darren

Intake:

Apexi power intake pod filter

Z32 AFM

Metal hard pipe turbo intake kit

Exhaust:

3” JustJap stainless steel single dump pipe system (bolted to GT3076r)

3” 100-cell cat
3” cat-back exhaust system with Magnaflow mid-muffler (straight through 'hotdog' resonator) and Kakimoto GTR Racing rear-muffler (straight through)

Magnaflow made all the difference to quieting the "drone"

Ok so I removed my last stock muffler and welded a pipe in its place now it's straight thro to the rear blitz muffler. Sounds really shot and drowny now haha best muffler for drown? Still want it loud tho

Ok so I removed my last stock muffler and welded a pipe in its place now it's straight thro to the rear blitz muffler. Sounds really shot and drowny now haha best muffler for drown? Still want it loud tho

Magnaflow mid resonator. ie Hotdog

get off ebay USA......

I don't think you can win, the resonace drone on a C34 is bouncing of the front windscreen and rolls in from the back, and only

affects the front passengers. If you sit in the back seat, its not there, actually if you put you head a inch back from the front seats it disappears(well did on mine). but in the front it was ear bleeding, You might have a shot with it being manual though..

I had a magnaflow resonator on back of R31, it made a difference, BUT.. i think the main problem is a station wagons a big open area, whereas a sedan has a boot area and is a more enclosed spac, i woudn't expect a R34 sedan or 2 door to have same problem

good luck

darren

Edited by jet_r31

Hotdogs or resonators do sweet FA, you need a proper mid muffler.

Im sorry, but in this instance I just cant agree with this comment ^

Speaking from experience with my Stag

without hotdog = drone

with hotdog = drone (mostly) gone.

Not talking about a decrease in noise volume, rather the sound it used to make pre-hotdog within the cabin at a constant rpm @ cruise.

I wouldnt recommend it if I hadnt seen a positive result myself.......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magnaflow-13743-7-Dia-Round-Stainless-Steel-Univ-Muffler-3-Inlet-Outlet-18-L-/380574863837?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589c0791dd

I had two resonators installed in mine, the drone was still there, all they did was make the exhaust sound tinny and weak. The wagon is a speaker box, and you are inside it.

The only exhausts I have heard that don't resonate/drone are the Fujitsubo Legalis and Nismo for the M35, surely there is something similar around cheap you could pick up S/H?

With enough trial and error you could weld in a Helmholtz chamber, as Fujitsubo use. It is a tuned dead end muffler, which can take out certain frequencies of noise, specifically that freeway drone.

my car came from japan with the following:

3" from the turbo

3" hiflow cat

3" into split 2.5" pipes after the diff

2 x 2.5" to 4" kakimoto hyper mega N1 mufflers

all stainless and custom made by the looks of it.

scotty dump
3 inch Mid pipe high flow cat

Impul cat back

Has a nice grumble on idle and light throttle and no drone at all.. Perfect exhaust.