SAU Community

M35 Afm Troubles

m35stagea

Turns out I was low on Glycol, and I overfilled my reservoir. So when the turbo gets warm it boils and over flows the tank(Worse when I was running BP98). Since I reduced the tank level back to where it's supposed to be, replaced the coolant and purged the system it has been stable(touch wood)

I understand how air pockets in the system would cause timing drift...would also cause incorrect mixtures in open loop. The thing is every ECU suffers from the same fate. "Incorrect data input causes incorrect data out"

Will it need head studs, pistons, trans replaced at some stage....yes I expect so. Am I trying to kill it, of course not, Am I trying to make as much power as I can-yes, Am I being reckless because I bought it with a blown turbo cheap-no

If you want to poo poo the EMU to support your link development, the biggest problem with EMU is injector timing. A stand alone will make more power, cleaner exhaust(less fuel smoke) and be better on fuel.

Shift timing is effected from the EMU boost cut clamp, the Shift kit doesn't really help the problem as the TCU try's to bring the shift points back in line with the Target MAP vs load input on the CAN line. If the Link will interface with the TCU CAN it will certainly help keep the trans alive. A TCU reprogram would also be a valuable investment

Edited by BoostdR
  • Like 1

How's this..

I emailed Nistune Developments about the M35 and AFM failure frequencies here.

No one there ever heard of AFMs blowing up due to modifying and/or tuning, nor of M35 issues.

They thinks it's a design fault somewhere and sounds like it could be getting more voltage than it needs through it's power supply.

Suggested regulating the power source or try a GTR AFM..

Anyway worth a try.

If you want to poo poo the EMU to support your link development

A few EMU fitted cars have thrown rods recently... I knew about the timing issues when I installed mine and installed the Fcon as soon as I could. No need for me to 'poo poo' the EMU, every tuner I speak to does that without me saying a word, hence why no-one will tune it these days. Good on you for trying to develop it further, but the only reason I was installing them is, there was no other option.

A little support with our M35 Link development wouldn't go astray, it isn't about selling a heap of units, it's about getting a decent tuning option for those few of us pushing the limits. I know we will struggle to sell enough to recoup even a small part of the costs involved, and there are plenty of headaches with it still to address.