SAU Community

Modifications That Require An Engineering Cert

Hi all,

Am new to the Australian modified car scene. I've tried searching but cant seem to find a clear direct answer and some are in bits all over the internet. So here goes...(with regards to a BNR34)

Which of the modifications below needs an engineering cert? and if so, can we like do all together and then get an engineer to inspect and save $$?

- 19" rims with 255/35 tires

- ganador side mirrors

- carbon trunk

- carbon gt wing 1710mm

- aftermarket tie rods, lower arms, traction and camber rods etc

- strut bars

- sway bar and end links

- gauges mounted on the A pillar

- body kit

- front wide fender (nismo Z tune)

- turbo

- turbo outlet

- front pipe

- high flow cat

- cat back exhaust with jasma cert

- radiator

- intercooler

- coilpack

cheerio guys! :cheers:

Turbo for sure.. what no boost controller, injectors, ECU or Air Flow Meter? These all affect pollution control (EPA laws).

Depending on what state you're in cops will try to defect A pillar gauges "because they are in a crash zone". Yeah not likely if you have a front air bag! and how about taxi's and cop cars (and who's on the road more?). Anyway have the line added to the cert.

Not sure on side mirrors and aftermarket tie rods, lower arms, traction and camber rods etc

rest should be ok.

Jasma means nothing in australia that is the japan standard.

erm...but can we get it approved?

And suspension wise anything rose jointed is not legal.

same as with the jasma exhaust?

suspension stuff engineer can sign off on it and over ride the rules but the exhust not under hes power that you have to deal with epa.

thats a relief.... sort of.

are there legal aftermarket exhausts for the BNR34?

Theres nothing that comes with a ADR approved sticker on it if thats what you mean its bascially just up to you to make sure its 90db if you want it to be legal and pass, but doesnt really matter if it is or not because cops will report you on suspicion for exhuast sound as some people have been done on standard exhuast so theres not really a way to be 100 percent bullet proof on epa issues.

Also take into account the stock exhuast is basically the loudest you could have and be legal since it is around the 89db mark.

whats the approximate cost of an Engineering Certificate? If you became a member of a car club would that help alot in getting things approved , i mean if you say the car is used for limited use on road and the mods are for the track etc etc..

Theres nothing that comes with a ADR approved sticker on it if thats what you mean its bascially just up to you to make sure its 90db if you want it to be legal and pass, but doesnt really matter if it is or not because cops will report you on suspicion for exhuast sound as some people have been done on standard exhuast so theres not really a way to be 100 percent bullet proof on epa issues.

Also take into account the stock exhuast is basically the loudest you could have and be legal since it is around the 89db mark.

I think i read somewhere that we can go get it tested after installing the exhaust where they test for emission and sound rite? if that one pass...surely the cops wouldnt be THAT anal to book u if u have something to show that it was already tested?

also... are they crazy? stock exhaust and still book u?!?!? but i take it that u can contest it right?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah so according to the ADR..even if they wanna fine u for something ....there has to be proof rite? so if EPA tests prove that its below 90db..then u're ok...rite?

the cops arent judge and executioner wat!

Edited by C4a0s