SAU Community

R34 Gtt Air Intake System Using Oem Snorkel

TR33GT-001

looks good! how much would you charge to make me one? :P

suwidji,

That would spoil the whole DIY thing mate. LOL.

It did the work over two weekends.

Two Saturdays, all day, and a bit of one Sunday for the final painting and fitting.

In labour terms, it's not worth it.

In material terms, it was as follows:

* $50 for the compounds and paints

* $25 for the 2mm thick aluminium sheet

* $3 for the high tensile nuts and bolts

Everything else, including jig saws, grinders, sanders, benders, files, and drills were in-house.

In other words, I think you could make someone one for under $100, if you didn't want to charge them the labour.

The labour factor would add say.............$80 per hour x 17 hours = $ 1,360? OMG

suwidji,

That would spoil the whole DIY thing mate. LOL.

It did the work over two weekends.

Two Saturdays, all day, and a bit of one Sunday for the final painting and fitting.

In labour terms, it's not worth it.

In material terms, it was as follows:

* $50 for the compounds and paints

* $25 for the 2mm thick aluminium sheet

* $3 for the high tensile nuts and bolts

Everything else, including jig saws, grinders, sanders, benders, files, and drills were in-house.

In other words, I think you could make someone one for under $100, if you didn't want to charge them the labour.

The labour factor would add say.............$80 per hour x 17 hours = $ 1,360? OMG

Err, if it takes you 17 hours to manufacture that; you cannot charge $80 P/h.

And anyone who is charging $80 P/h is not taking 17 hours to make that; I can assure you.

I don't charge much more than $40 P/h labour for home jobs; & I'm a qualified Fitter.

If you want to do fab work on the side; by all means, but charge a fair amount, and as you get better, you get the work done faster & more accurately.

Then as you get better; you find ways to save time, and you can afford to buy tools that make the jobs easier. This is where the money comes in.

All of this just gives you an opportunity to get a bit of cash doing something you enjoy. Save the big hourly rates for hours worked in your profession.

Err, if it takes you 17 hours to manufacture that; you cannot charge $80 P/h.

And anyone who is charging $80 P/h is not taking 17 hours to make that; I can assure you.

I don't charge much more than $40 P/h labour for home jobs; & I'm a qualified Fitter.

If you want to do fab work on the side; by all means, but charge a fair amount, and as you get better, you get the work done faster & more accurately.

Then as you get better; you find ways to save time, and you can afford to buy tools that make the jobs easier. This is where the money comes in.

All of this just gives you an opportunity to get a bit of cash doing something you enjoy. Save the big hourly rates for hours worked in your profession.

Woah there..Firstly I just stated that it wouldnt be worth it. I was not offering to build it for $80/hour. I am into diy not commercial gain. If you'd like to build them feel free. There is no copyright. Just giving mytake on a oem snorkel arrangement for gtt owners. Thanks ?

Edited by TR33GT-001

Woah there..Firstly I just stated that it wouldnt be worth it. I was not offering to build it for $80/hour. I am into diy not commercial gain. If you'd like to build them feel free. There is no copyright. Just giving my take on a oem snorkel arrangement for gtt owners. Thanks ?

Lol, dude; calm down.

It was more a blanket statement that both your time estimate and hourly rate were over the top; regardless who was doing it. I could possibly have worded it differently.

Once your template is made; there's scarcely 2 hours work there. And good on you for having a go.

As was the comment about fabricating;

Some people do enjoy seeing the smile on another enthusiasts face when they hold a handmade part in their hands. It's even nicer when you are the one that made it. And nicer again if they're happy to pay for it.

If you don't; that's fine.

Cheers, Dale.

Edited by Daleo