SAU Community

Head Gasket

I inhiereted a mls head gasket.It is a 5 layer one.my question is do these mls gaskets come in different thicknesses ,are they reusable and because my head has been skimmed is it gonna stuff around with my compression ratios.is there a way to work it out or is a standard head gasket just as good.im going for forged pistons as I have to rebore slightly due to a bit of cylinder damage anyway.cheers

Yes they come in different thicknesses.

No MLS gaskets are not reusable as they normally have a coating which bonds to the mating surfaces. If you have assembled a motor (not run it) and pulled it apart again you can usually reuse the MLS.

Yes skimming your head will raise your compression ratio. If the gasket is thinner than stock this will also raise it further. Generally skimming alone wont be enough to warrant a tune or any serious change.

If you are building the whole motor you should buy a proper gasket and not use a second hand item. Know what is going into the motor and don't waste your efforts on second hand consumables.

the mls gasket I have doesn't have any type of coating on it. it has a few marks on it but no damage.its about 2 mm thick going by a tape measure..

I think I might just go the standard nissan.as there are very very slight machine marks in the head surface that might not seal properly with a mls.standard headgsakets are ok for moderate power increases aren't they.