SAU Community

Skyline V36: Import Or Buy Local From Dealers?

poorjacky

Hello everyone!

Just found this forum while doing my searches on getting a skyline v36. So far the forum is excellent for a lot of info. Just thought I'd start a specific topic to ask a few more specific questions in my head. Any input is much appreciated!

I've been browsing some v36 on carsales, an example being a 2007 SP auto model with around 40,000km on the clock going for $33,900. The price looks decent, but given the reputation of car salesman, I'm a bit reluctant to get a 2nd hand import from a dealer (I don't have great knowledge of cars, hence the hesitation). What are your thoughts on buying from a local dealer?

I've also looked at some historical prices via j-spec. After the website's calculation for freight/compliance/agent fee etc, it mostly ranges from 25k to 35k depending on quality/year/colour etc. So it seems like the price is a bit more attractive importing, as opposed to buying local. Can you guys recommend any good import agents that you/your friends have dealt with in the past? I'm aware Iron Chef has a great reputation here, and I'm already planning to drop him an enquiry over the next few days.

Sorry for the long read, but two more questions:

1)When they list an auction rating on a vehicle, let say a 4.5 very good rating, does this rating refer to the cosmetic side of the vehicle or more towards the overall condition of vehicle parts/engines?

2)Is servicing an import a big hassle? Will servicing/maintenance cost be as high as an european luxury car? Since the parts and stuff may cost more? or that there is less mechanics who have good knowledge of these vehicles?

Thanks for your time in reading my post and any input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Jacky

Edited by poorjacky

• 2 months later...

poorjacky,

Just found this so maybe you've got everything sorted by now....

I have just imported a 2010 370GT and all up was around 12-15 k less than local dealers, and a far superior vehicle.

Most of the dealer cars aren't even registered until you buy them so I really wonder about compliance.

Hate to get caught out the first time you have to register the vehicle yourself!

reply and let me know if you want any details of my import costs/people/issues or if you are al good.

• 3 weeks later...

I am actually in the market for possibly a 2008 370sp. I am wary of the dealers however they have a convenience factor. I would be interested to know what sort of KM on the 2010 and total cost from sourcing to get it in your driveway? I could be interested in doing the same as I am not in a particular hurry for a new car I imagine 6 months would be the earliest, I mean how do you go about sourcing it first of all?

Thanks. Adrianzulu

Adrian,

The car I got had done only 20k kilometres and is in [literally] perfect condition.

All up the cost was just under $12k from point of sale in Japan to me driving away.

This was for everything including Duty and GST on the purchase price ...which you would expect to be a little less on a 2008.

Hello everyone!

Just found this forum while doing my searches on getting a skyline v36. So far the forum is excellent for a lot of info. Just thought I'd start a specific topic to ask a few more specific questions in my head. Any input is much appreciated!

I've been browsing some v36 on carsales, an example being a 2007 SP auto model with around 40,000km on the clock going for $33,900. The price looks decent, but given the reputation of car salesman, I'm a bit reluctant to get a 2nd hand import from a dealer (I don't have great knowledge of cars, hence the hesitation). What are your thoughts on buying from a local dealer?

I've also looked at some historical prices via j-spec. After the website's calculation for freight/compliance/agent fee etc, it mostly ranges from 25k to 35k depending on quality/year/colour etc. So it seems like the price is a bit more attractive importing, as opposed to buying local. Can you guys recommend any good import agents that you/your friends have dealt with in the past? I'm aware Iron Chef has a great reputation here, and I'm already planning to drop him an enquiry over the next few days.

Sorry for the long read, but two more questions:

1)When they list an auction rating on a vehicle, let say a 4.5 very good rating, does this rating refer to the cosmetic side of the vehicle or more towards the overall condition of vehicle parts/engines?

2)Is servicing an import a big hassle? Will servicing/maintenance cost be as high as an european luxury car? Since the parts and stuff may cost more? or that there is less mechanics who have good knowledge of these vehicles?

Thanks for your time in reading my post and any input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Jacky

I noticed no one really answered you original questions so here goes:

1) 4.5 grade is only the cosmetic part, the /transmission/driveline are usually not listed on the auction sheet

2) Servicing is not a big hassle, most nissan dealers will service your import apart from a few idiots that will not want to touch it.

cheers

Edited by AsM

I noticed no one really answered you original questions so here goes:

1) 4.5 grade is only the cosmetic part, the /transmission/driveline are usually not listed on the auction sheet

2) Servicing is not a big hassle, most nissan dealers will service your import apart from a few idiots that will not want to touch it.

cheers

What are you on about....

The grading I.E 4.5 is the overall condition of the vehicle which takes into account basic mechanical grading. There is a specific grading for Interior and cosmetics in addition to the 4.5,

I.E

Grade 4.5 A

Grade 4 B

Grade 3.5 C

etc etc

What are you on about....

The grading I.E 4.5 is the overall condition of the vehicle which takes into account basic mechanical grading. There is a specific grading for Interior and cosmetics in addition to the 4.5,

I.E

Grade 4.5 A

Grade 4 B

Grade 3.5 C

etc etc

Yes the 4.5, 4, 3.5 are for the Body condition over all and A, B, C are interior grades and in no way do these say specifically about mechanicals, ask any auction agent in japan

And what i meant was to make the OP aware that unless there is a MAJOR issue with anything Mechanical, the inspectors do not particularly pick on small things which can sometimes be or mostly is an expensive exercise for a potential buyer here in Australia, if even you see your post you mentioned "basic" which is very limited imo if someone is gonna fork out their money for a descent car :)

Edited by AsM

• 5 months later...

Replying to an old thread. Hopefully you have your car now or are in the process....

But for anyone else looking I thought this was a pretty detailed explanation of the auction sheet

http://prestigemotorsport.com.au/upload/PrestigeMotorsportAuctionGuide.pdf

Edited by karmakoma

but just to add... if u get a reputable broker like Iron Chef... they have guys in japan to check out the car in the metal for u... engine, trans etc... even take a vid or 2 for u... so u can hear the car idle...

• 4 months later...

J-Spec Imports also has excellent information on reading auction sheets:

http://www.j-spec.com.au/info/Auction-sheets

Beware when looking at local examples of imported vehicles - I was considering purchasing a V35 Skyline locally until I read this article regarding 'wound back mileage':

http://www.j-spec.com.au/info/Wound-back-mileage2

Edited by Toras