SAU Community

FS: Digital dash and rs232 for stock ecus

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple more questions, thought this'd be a better spot for it, share the info. and avoid clogging your PM inbox Impakt.

1. What are physical dimensions of the screen?

2. How difficult would it be, for some one with moderate skills, to solder a ribbon cable between the box and screen (say ~30cm length)?

2a. Would the above detrimentally effect the units operation?

The above comes about from the desire to mount the screen in a small space necessitating it's detachment from the box.

3. What's the feasibility of having the display all come up backwards, mirrored, so it could be placed on the dash and used as a Heads-Up-Display?

A switch to choose between Normal/Mirror would be IDEAL!

4. How would, or could, you go about dicking with the speed signal? I ask because i have an auto diff (4.3:1) in a manual car (normally 4.11:1 diff) so my speedo is out, this way i could have an accurate reading.

Good questions Oosh,

1. The physical dimensions of the screen (PCB) is 98mmx60mmx~15mm. THe actual LCD part is smaller.

2. To remotely mount the LCD is not that hard, as long as you know what you are doing. Im happy to sell a display with the LCD and case seperate, so you can mount as you wish. Its 12 wires between the LCD and PCB, so a decent ribbon cable should do the trick. I would recommend you letting me know if you want to remote mount the LCD, that way i wont solder it on in the first place (and create extra work for you).

2a. Won't affect operation at all, just shield the ribbon cable to reduce noise.

3. A super bright VFD or LED module could be used for HUD. LCD will never be bright enough to be used as a HUD.

4. Not possible without re-programming the device, which im happy to do (at a small cost). Just tell me how much you need it tweaked by, and i'll write the code to do it.

Impakt

Good questions Oosh,

snip .... /snip

Impakt

Thanks for your answers, if you COULD leave my LCD unattached, i think i will give this a go but please include the wires you would use just in case i decide to go back to stock.

As for speed, it'd need to be altered by a factor of 0.95, i.e. display 95kmh when it's detecting it as 100kmh.

Some further questions:

1. Just how small a fee? :thumbsup:

2. Could i keep the original speed variable? i.e. have a Speed1 and Speed2 var.

3. Will either option (modified or 2 vars) effect compatibility with any of the softwares esp. data loggers?

Cheers.