SAU Community

Single plate clutch for R33 GTR options?

I have an single plate exceedy heavy duty clutch in my car at the moment... i have around 270rwkw, nothing huge... but over the next year or two i will probably end up upgrading turbos/fuel system etc..

Nismo/OS Giken/ORC twin plates are going to cost me over 2k....

the clutch i have at the moment i've done about 10,000ks on, i think it had another 10,000 done by the owner before it... but its never been that good, shudders quite a bit, esspecially now its worn

Can anyone suggest any single plate option? Or should i just bite the bullet and get a twin plate? 2100 delivered nismo twin plate from nengun.........

ferni, I think you'll find some used twin plates still in very good nick, from some of the local used parts suppliers for around $800-1100. As far as a single is concerned..uhm?? I wouldn't even bother, my old clutch was just holding on with the same amount of power you have now. At least with the twin's you can rebuild them, and again I think I know someone that has a nearly new HKS Twin plate for $1100~ I can ask for if you like.

I've been warned away from HKS.... *shrugs*

Most of the used twin plates i've enquired about don't have much left on them, no point spending 200-300 bucks getting it put in, only to have to have it taken out, rebuilt and put back in in a few months...

I think i may have to bite the bullet and get a new twin :D

Singles can be rebuilt too btw...

What brand NRB?

How does it drive in traffic or when having to slip the clutch a bit to park etc...?

How much/where from?

thanks

Mine and Tim's are both Daiken Exxedy clutches. Mine's a heavy duty organic, not ceramic, Tims is ceramic. I've got a 2500kg pressure plate from memory; Tim's I've got no idea.

Mine feels like a stock clutch, but is very bitey. Tims is a little more bitey, but again as light as stock. The feel is controlled by the pivot point I believe - Ben modified mine to make it feel lighter.

When I originally got my car from Japan it had a Nismo twin plate which was a heavy sucker and near impossible to drive in day-to-day traffic. On very steep inclines I found it incredibly frustrating and stalled it frequently.

If Ben tunes your car, have a word to him and see what he recommends.

Cheers.

Guest two.06l

jim berry race clutch in stones corner queensland (italia spares)built a mega tough single plate clutch for my race car 4800lbs pressure plate.he uses modified exedy pressure plate and modified nismo clutch disc these clutches can hang on to more than 400rwkw.i have done more than 20 7000+rpm launches and more than 100 9000rpm gear changes with this setup and cannot fault it.$1200 dollars should get you out of trouble just tell him stacey sent you.leave plenty of time when you ring him though he is a lovely bloke and likes a chat.good luck.

Guest two.06l
Stacey: How does it drive? Very on/off i'm guessing at 4800lbs?

ican only slip it a tiny bit but ok to drive around the street not as bad as a multi plate and not as noisy either