SAU Community

Humming Sound From Front Right Wheel

Hi everybody

Yet another newbie here, and yes I have tried using the search bar with no result,

Ive picked myself up a series 1 r33 gts (slowly finding out it may be a lemon) anyway recently my front right wheel is starting to hum while driving, just wondering if it would be my wheel bearing?

Could be... Jack it up, grab the wheel and give it a wobble.

Could be tyre / road noise especially if the tyre pressure is wrong, tyre is different to others or even tyre is on backwards.

More likely to be a bearing then.

Don't buy cheap bearings either, you'll be replacing them again shortly.

Did a bearing recently on a different type of car, $600 done and dusted (In the middle of moving and don't have time or space to change it myself)

Not necessarily.

1. is the front right tyre the same as the rest (Type,size,brand)

2. What's the tyre wear like

3. What type of tyre - meaning are they directional and/or asymmetrical or standard - symmetrical (same pattern across the tread)

- Some High performance cars are fitted with directional and asymmetric tyres. These must be fitted the right way round on the wheel and on the correct side of the vehicle

(Eg: Arrow facing forward and "outside" on the outside)

Yes it can make a humming noise. It's happened to me :wacko:

I thought that as well but if that was the case wouldn't the sound be coming from all 4? All the tyres still have good tread on them,

Edited by Sinista32

Cheers for the replies guys,

All the tyres are the same brand and size from what I can tell they are cheap "performance"$155 a tyre, I will get them to check it out when it's due for a service, doesn't effect the driving of the car just means I have to be like every other p plater for now and have the stereo up to loud for even my liking

If it's not the tyres, take it to your mechanic straight away. If it's the bearing, things will start to get more loose, and the wheel will end up with play in it. Not only is it terrible for handling and safety, it will also chew your tyre out majorly.