SAU Community

Awd R34 Skyline Driving Up To The Snow

Pr0x1mity

Hey guys,

Wanted to know about driving the GT4 up to the snow. It's an NA skyline with the ATTESA system.

I have done some searching on the forums but haven't got much of an answer. Looks like most people don't want to take GTR's up because:

A) Expensive

B) Too powerful/wheelspin everywhere.

The GT4 is a cheaper and much, much less powered car.

Was mainly checking if the ATTESA system was useless or would be decent. Will be going to baw to work this weekend and Hotham for a week in 2 weeks.

Went up in a Rav 4 and had no problems.. I don't think it will be an issue, but yeah.. I'm sure someones done it before.

Will have chains.

i went up there first week of snow season, there wasnt much ice on the roads near the top but car was sliding up. took out pressure from the rear tyres helped a bit.

hopefully this helps.

having an awd just means its not mandatory to fit chains where those in 2wd will have to.

most important thing would be to make sure your cooling system is up to scratch for the drive up, and your tyres are suitable.

one afternoon at buller after having snowed all day, the last thing i wanted to do is dick around with chains so as i was awd i was let through.. i spun coming out of a bend on the way down and although we were sliding it was that slow my missus asked if maybe she should get out! slid maybe 5-10 car lenghts and wasn't till i hit the rough on the edge of the upcoming bend that we finally stopped.. newish ku36's wouldn't have helped but trick is to go very slow and brake early... test the abs lock it up and you will see how slow it pulls up.

Yeah, obviously having AWD does have a slight advantage over say RWD.

I have driven on snow/ice before and know it's errm not great, just wanted to see if the ATTESA system is OK as its not a full time AWD system..

I'm not sure I understand the question, you're going to be carrying chains, being awd you're less likely to have to go through pain of fitting them in cold/dark/wet. I drive a gt2871 track oriented silvia up to the slopes - lovely roads. Some of my best memories from NZ trips is drive up/down the dirt roads. My advice, take the best car you can and enjoy the drive.

I go to the snow lots in my R34 (RWD). I do lots of snowboarding. I been caught in 2 separate blizzards with the roads icing over, pretty much slowed to 5~10km/h

Trick is just drive slow. Gentle braking and gentle acceleration.

Never used snow chains, but I do carry a set in the boot just in case the absolute need arises.

- Before going up the mountain, make sure yout have a full tank of fuel. You may end up idling for long periods and running your air-con to keep the windows clear. The extra fuel also makes good ballast for RWD cars.

- Battery and alternator in good condition as it maybe harder to start your engine in the cold, and you tend to use lots of electrical equipment eg. lights, demisters, air-con.

- Fresh coolant/anti-freeze

- All lights working

- 2L bottle of tap water and a squeegee in your boot, in the event your windscreen/windows freeze over.

With all this - She will be as sure footed as a mountain goat.

post-41585-0-13783500-1373525231_thumb.png

Whereas I've seen 4wd going too fast and sliding on into an accident. All you have to do is drive to the conditions. Even at vic resorts, sometimes you have to dig out cars but you have to be lucky to get it that good.

one thing to remember is that the attessa 4wd system in the GTR/GTS4 only works when you loose traction

that is the fronts do nothing until the rears slip

so if you dont flog it, the rears wont slip, and the fronts wont take any power, so its basically rwd

Went up yesterday. Had no issues at all. Rarely the rear would slip and the fronts would pickup. Didn't have any "oh shit moments" etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ive got a new mitsi outlander. Havnt sused what end takes the drive. But we are parked on the highest road here, and didnt even push the 4wd button

I tryed to give it some as i wanted to c what end took the power/sus traction situation.

But things change in hrs so be prepared and ull be fine, i advise parking with chains on if ur forcast for decent snow. Known fact putting them on after digging ur car out = shit cold wet and dirty

• 2 weeks later...