SAU Community

Stagea Rs4S Just Purchased, New To The Land Of Boost And Loving It :)

MikeH

Hey guys, just thought I would introduce myself to everyone on the forums. Just bought a late 98' Stagea RS4S as my new daily and am absolutely loving it. First AWD car I have evr owned and First turbo car I have owned.

My name is Michael and to be honest, in the past i never thought I would ever buy a nissan. Have been a die hard Honda fan for the last 10 years and in the last few years also found love for the E30 platform. Was driving an e30 as a daily for a couple of years and enjoying it, but needed some extra space and wanted something a bit different. Also wanted something that wasn't going to get bogged taking it down tracks to surf spots, so AWD was a must.

This one popped up in QLD of all places (i am in melbourne) was at an import yard called Motorman imports, gave them a call and they seemed decent. Put the money down and had it towed down here. So far haven't had any issues but will be getting it checked out at a workshop probably next week just to make sure it is all up to scratch.

Anyway here it is:

n50a.jpg

u4a7.jpg

9ny5.jpg

Engine bay:

55m1.jpg

Boost controller unit:

rxeu.jpg

on surf trip down to apollo bay

nqt0.jpg

Center console when i picked it up, had a non functional double din suzuki headunit and the climate control was mounted down where the blanking plate is sapposed to be...

8rhj.png

Re-organised center console, but now there is a gap above the coin trey section. I am unsure what is meant to go in that space, i think it is a blanking plate of some description but not sure. Will be looking for the part that go's there though. Also, the factory tripple guage unit is extremely sensitive when it comes to the connection block at the back of it, with one small touch it will either not work at all or the lights won't work, or one of the guages won't work. The contact between the connection block and circuit board are a bit dodgy...

qpuo.jpg

Another surprise found when taking inspecting the car after picking it up, MINES ECU:

5laj.jpg

Already picked up a few mods but won't be getting too out of hand as it is meant to be a fun practical daily as well as a surf trip car on weekeds

new gear knob:

bx4f.jpg

Cooling pro stealth front mount kit:

5pc5.jpg

It's a 98' RS4S, came with the SR3 drivers seat, a Blitz NUR spec exhaust and some 'A tech final speed gear-r' wheels (never heard of them...) But then when i picked the car up and sussed it out properly, I found a Blitz Electronic Boost controller as well as a 'Mines' ECU and a turbo timer :) Had 82000k's on the clock and seems to be running strong. So far have bought some Thule racks for surf trips as well as a cooling pro stealth front mount and nismo gear knob.

Plan is to up the boost to 10psi and get it tuned and that's about it to be honest. For now anyway.

The AWD turbo platform will be a learning curve for sure as I have never worked with boost befor, but looking forward to the challenge :)

Some of you guys might know me from seeing my trackcar at winton possibly, K24 powered EM1 that I built myself (still own it but it doesn't get out much these days :()

53715056212968380861181.jpg

My other project I have at the moment is my E30 Touring, it is my weekend/project car

1013021_10151715334561357_1041819201_n.j

This was my daily befor I bought the Stagea, when it was at its best anyway:
523562_10151281206016357_177158284_n.jpg

Anyway, good to join a new forum and looking forward to coming out on some cruises etc :)

Congrats on the new purchase, looks like a beauty. I also bought mine for surf trips but never invested in proper roof racks like I should have, I use 2 pieces of 3"x2" timber with pool noodle duct taped to them. I know this sounds dodgy as hell but carries 3 x 9'6" longboards plus a couple of fish short boards and five of us guys every weekend. The best upgrade I did was the 3" dump pipe and cat, improved performance and economy.

Nice Stagea mate, I also came from being a Honda fan boy. Boosting is where the fun is at :) Nice track civic too!

Thanks mate.

Congrats on the new purchase, looks like a beauty. I also bought mine for surf trips but never invested in proper roof racks like I should have, I use 2 pieces of 3"x2" timber with pool noodle duct taped to them. I know this sounds dodgy as hell but carries 3 x 9'6" longboards plus a couple of fish short boards and five of us guys every weekend. The best upgrade I did was the 3" dump pipe and cat, improved performance and economy.

Haha sounds a bit rough but effective, if it works it works :)

I have a lot to learn when it comes to modding this engine so will look into te dump pipe upgrade.

Also have been told that the Mines Ecu probably isn't doing me any favors due to the fuel used in Japan is a lower octane level to here in Aus. So will be on the hunt for an factory Ecu

Hey Michael, welcome to SAU! My 'S' also came from Motorman nearly 2 years ago, & has never missed a beat. I'll let you know the Nissan part number for the blanking plate that goes above the ashtray. Mine also had the a/c controller fitted like yours, & I had a hard time finding the right part. Just have to find it.........

Hi buddy

I have not had my stag for long, but had a r33 for 10years and only ran premium fuel as I was under impression that we had the lower octane level.

Hey Michael, welcome to SAU! My 'S' also came from Motorman nearly 2 years ago, & has never missed a beat. I'll let you know the Nissan part number for the blanking plate that goes above the ashtray. Mine also had the a/c controller fitted like yours, & I had a hard time finding the right part. Just have to find it.........

Good to know :) thanks mate, part number would be handy.

Hi buddy

I have not had my stag for long, but had a r33 for 10years and only ran premium fuel as I was under impression that we had the lower octane level.

Oh well I might have my info mixed up, but either way I am unsure as to weather the tune on the 'Mines' Ecu would be beneficial using our fuel or if it is actually loosing power. I guess the stock Ecu would be the same? Not sure really.

Good to know :) thanks mate, part number would be handy.

Oh well I might have my info mixed up, but either way I am unsure as to weather the tune on the 'Mines' Ecu would be beneficial using our fuel or if it is actually loosing power. I guess the stock Ecu would be the same? Not sure really.

Nistune board in that ecu would be the easiest way to go but there are a number of options for aftermarket engine management available if you wish to go a little further with the car.

Here's the P/N: NI-68471-0V800. The description is 'mask-stereo'. Ignore this or it will throw you off. Cost was $93 & it took 6 weeks ex Japan! They must be getting hard to find OEM.

Welcome to the Forum Michael!

Nice looking Stag mate! looks pretty straight :)

You can purchase an aftermarket single DIN sunglasses tray that will fit in your empty slot there. The part is universal between most 1996+ Model Nissans, if you go into Autobarn or Supercheap, they quite often have those DIN units for the R34 Nissan Skyline, which is a perfect fit. I think they're around $20 from memory.

Good luck and happy boosting!

Nistune board in that ecu would be the easiest way to go but there are a number of options for aftermarket engine management available if you wish to go a little further with the car.

Your Mines ecu may be able to accept a Nistune chip. I think its just a modified stocker.

Sounds like a plan. Looking for something that will do the job but not break the bank. Thanks for the info

looks good man,

the roofrack setup loks horrible though. best take it off and send it to me, ill find something to do with it :)

Lol can be bought new easily mate. Not cheap though :/

Here's the P/N: NI-68471-0V800. The description is 'mask-stereo'. Ignore this or it will throw you off. Cost was $93 & it took 6 weeks ex Japan! They must be getting hard to find OEM.

So that is the price that sits above the coin trey and under the center console main triple din area?

Thanks a lot for the info. Will Suss it out and see what I can find :)

Welcome to the Forum Michael!

Nice looking Stag mate! looks pretty straight :)

You can purchase an aftermarket single DIN sunglasses tray that will fit in your empty slot there. The part is universal between most 1996+ Model Nissans, if you go into Autobarn or Supercheap, they quite often have those DIN units for the R34 Nissan Skyline, which is a perfect fit. I think they're around $20 from memory.

Good luck and happy boosting!

I have installed a single din head unit into the empty DIN slot in the center console under the climate control, it is just the section under that, above the coin trey that is the missing part.

Thanks for the comments mate :)