SAU Community

350Z Rears On R32?

whizzn

Has anyone actually done this yet?

I know they don't just boly up but thought someone would have maybe made some brackets or something made up by now

I'm asking as i just bought a GReddy 6/4 brake kit for my car (i was under impression when i bought it they would bolt up :no: )

So before selling them i thought i'd just see if they could actually somehow be fitted to a 32 R

Looks as though these won't fit

Pulled my brakes off today and thought i'd see for myself what needs to be done for these to fit

First of all lets just say once you have dust covers out of the way the disc will fit perfectly albeit the handbrake pad surface area is 5mm narrower than that of the R and as well known in these forums the rotors them selves have a different offset bringing the disc closer to the wheel

The caliper is a different story, as mentioned elsewhere on these forums the bolt size holding caliper in place is bigger than that of the 32 (prob same size as 34 IMO). This isn't the only problem though, the spacing for the bolt holes is 10mm further apart than that of the 32 and finally the final offset of the actual mounting brackets that actually hold the caliper onto the hub is also different resulting in pushing the rotor out off the hub by 5-10mm when in place

So for anyone thinking of putting a set of 350z brakes onto there Skyline the mods that i can see needed to be done would be

* Weld in the holes that are in the hub assembly at moment

* Mill required 5-10mm off the hub assemblies mounting point facing the disc

* Weld in new billet piece to outer side of mounting point to accomodate the amount you took off the opposite face

* Redrill the mounts so there out a further 5mm on each side to accomodate the wider spacing on caliper

This doesn't take into account the engineering side, would this make the mounting points weaker? Would bracing be needed? etc etc

All in all IMO i think it's too much work when you can buy another set of brakes that will bolt straight on

So saying this anyone know someone with a 350Z that wants a set of GReddy 6 pot 358mm fronts and 4 pot 330mm rear brakes? lol

Here's a dummy pick of wheels on with brakes in place but as mentioned the rotor was NOT sitting flush on the hub

DSC_0004_zps92336547.jpg

DSC_0005_zps7b154d13.jpg

No, the conventional way to mount calipers that require a different bolt spacing (and possibly size) and where the calipers need a different offset in or out relative to the stock ones, is to use a dogbone bracket of some sort. Sometimes you just can't make that work, but you usually can. If the caliper ends up moving a long way from the standard location you may also end up needing a sort out some flexible lines as well.

Being that the calipers are so close to fitting there's not room for any style of bracket IMO

After talking to a friend this arvo he has a mate that does CNC work at home so he's going to ask him about this project tonight

If he reckons it's doable i'll buy couple uprights and send over to him and see how we go

Mates friend says he's done heaps of brake stuff for people so i have set of rear hubs on way to him now along with these brakes for him to have look at

Also taking spare front hubs i have hear to him also to drill out the mounting holes for the fronts (better job than me drilling with hand held drill lol)

Will keep yas updated as progress happens so we have a definate thread to answer this question in future

Just for reference purposes

These are the 6 pot 360mm fronts from the kit, also off the 350Z

Only thing needed to be done to fit these to an R32 is either trim or bend the edge of the dust plate back so it doesn't scrape on rotor and drill out the mounting holes in hub to accept the bigger bolts

I was suprised that the caliper didn't even foul on the dust cover whatsoever

H_zps674eab0f.jpg

HH_zps8ed89490.jpg