SAU Community

I'm On A Boat And I Say No To Rice!

toppertee

Did I read right a fee posts back 295's on the rear? Thats FAT as. They wiuldnt fit would they without a fair amount of work??? Absolutely fabulous build mate. Lovr the comment "THE WIFE HATE'S IT SO MUST BE COOL" HAHA HAHA.

Cheers Josh

Hi josh,

Yep 295s, there on 9.5' rims. Just fit. Rolled the guards then used a slide hammer. It's a 20ft car and the tyres where pretty much free.

When I had the alignment done, it was doubled checked for clearance. All good. I've done a couple of hot laps up and down the street no rubbing.

Just have to wait and see if there good on the track.

The bloke I purchased them off use to run them with no problem.

Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

The good, bad and the ugly....

Ran today out at QR, Very wet. Ran the National circuit car was great, just took it easy, getting a feel for the car and the fact semis in the wet.

Oil temp max at 95° Water temp 100° O2 WOT 11-12 ratio nice and safe @9PSI. easy 200 kph down the back straight. Project MU pads are unreal.

For the ugly, just started to try and push on the sprint track. Gear box dropped a poo poo valve. Lot's of grinding.

On the bright side I've just picked up a new rebuilt gearbox.... I'm not looking forward to dropping the box out though.

Still that's motor sport. Build it, race it, f#%k it and then fix it HAHA!

trackattack019_zpsb338f099.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick up date.

Old gearbox out, as my mate put it, "Awwww, the gear box has had little baby gearboxes".

To be honest, can't see what the big deal is about pulling these gearboxes in and out, I had a couple of reads online about, how much of a pig they are to get in and out. Think some of these people need to grow a set. I did mine on my own with a trolly jack. the one thing, which really helped was an 1 meter long extension bar, to get the top gear box bolt.

I was really happy to find a new Exedy HD clutch and a new flywheel.Also a new Gates racing timing belt. Someone must have cared for this car in the passed.

I'm installing a new rad, intercooler and oil lines. Almost complete.

Will update with pic later.

Hope everyone had a nice Xmas and all the best for the new year.

Regards Nigel.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Hope your new years as started in the right way, I spent mine, surfing, fishing and drinking way too much... Northern NSW is bloody tops!

Started back on the car. I've already learn some new things this year.

OEM fitment means, you’re going to have to cut the sh#t out of your car to make it fit.

Universal fitment means, it won't universally fit without a lot of swearing.

And real race parts never come with instructions.

Fixed up the exhaust. The cat had about 160Km's on it. When I looked down it at the light, I could see none.

IMG_4187_zpsc3d66129.jpg

IMG_4186_zps57ee029c.jpg

Welding seems to be getting better. Flanges and flex pipe are from ECS, online price are good and ship on time.

IMG_4189_zps530ff760.jpg

New intercooler

IMG_4190_zps2741e334.jpg

Welded in a new support bracket, for the intercooler which helps tie in the oil cooler lines. 25mm RHS 3mm thick

IMG_4191_zps98d0e0e5.jpg

IMG_4193_zps4dc4a8c9.jpg

New rebuilt gearbox, solid mount and clutch slave.

IMG_4194_zpsba1ebf41.jpg

New short shifter , as the S1 R33 gear box shifter, doesn't have the same fitting as a S2 R33 gear box, by the looks of it. I could be wrong? If any one knows please sing out.

IMG_4195_zpsa956e4de.jpg

^^^^

Thats for that,

Nope I didn't rebuild the gearbox, A mate of mine has a 700 plus horse power R33 GTST. It ate this gear box, he had it rebuilt and didn't use it and went to a Sequential shift gear box. I'm under stock power, so this should be more than up for the task.

Should be back down on the ground by Sunday fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Is it still street rego'd?

Such a good car to build, sort of wishing I did this instead of an S14 now.

Thanks for the kind words,

I let the rego lap’s.

I've got a work ute there was need for it to have rego. I still run it up and down the road every once and a while, just for test hits.

My last race/track car was, but it's a lot of money with rego and insurance to have sitting there. Better spent on go faster parts. I.M.O. Plus some QLD PD don't have a sense-of-humor.

I was looking at an s14 or s15, but I just don't fit. I'm too tall. I only just fit in the r33 for head room.

This is how I had my mx5 set up with the seat on the floor. LOL

IMG_3969_zps66ea71ad.jpg

IMG_3970_zps4e4f3a89.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All set for another crack at QR tomorrow, fingers crossed the car will last the day

Completed the exhaust.

r331022014002_zps621700fb.jpg

Installed a catch can. Really like the push loc fittings, much better IMO that S/S braided hoses,

r331022014004_zps738d8777.jpg

r331022014005_zps0491bd6a.jpg

I'm thinking about running in PSRAQ, so I've got to install all the stock light fittings etc.Still carbon them up a little.

r331022014003_zps92af32a7.jpg

I also was given a GOPRO for Xmas, but I have firm though's about posting footage online. I.E.

IMO, it's a little like masturbating in public, it might make you feel good, but most people are going to think your a wanker! But most my mates think I'm a bit of a wanker anyway, so I may post something if I think is cool or if I crash,

Edited by toppertee

• 1 month later...

All looks great man!
How did you go at QR?
Also, are you happy with the AGI cage? Fitment wise?
I have an AGI half cage in my car and the quality is great, but looks like I'll be going to the National spec cage soon.

Cheers.

All looks great man!

How did you go at QR?

Also, are you happy with the AGI cage? Fitment wise?

I have an AGI half cage in my car and the quality is great, but looks like I'll be going to the National spec cage soon.

Cheers.

I broke the car again... Head gasket what a P.I.T.A.

AGI cage is great, the only problem I have is i'm quite a big person, 6'2 about 95kg. So I've had to mount the seat on the floor, so my head doesn't come in contact with the top of the cage.

It's quite hard to get in and out of the car, because of the side bars, I'm going to get a removable steering wheel, which should help. I find it little hard to heal toe, because the cage sits in a little. But I'm going to mod the pedal.

The fitment of the AGI cage is tops. Plus aussie made and owned.

Well changing a head gasket in r33 is about as much fun as a solid kick in the nuts!

block looks good,

R3315032014003_zps6343e5cf.jpg

Had Torque team do the machining of the head and manifold

R3315032014004_zps6c61c7a4.jpg

R3315032014010_zps96cd4eca.jpg

Head on a torqued down

R3315032014008_zps03822814.jpg

New exhaust studs

R3315032014009_zps4f7a1942.jpg

New hoses under intake

R3315032014011_zpsbcb6ef0a.jpg

Fat fingers and Skyline intakes don't mix.

R3315032014013_zpsd10162e4.jpg

Good news is I may have over tightened the cam belt!

This would be one of the most shitty jobs I've ever done.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^

I was getting pretty close to throwing a match at it :wacko:

I ran it at lakeside, last saturday, with out a problem, all most felt like buying a lotto ticket on the way home. Nice to roll the car on to the trailer, with out a list of stuff to fix.

I'm lucky enough to be running in the QR 300, in May. But the skyline was going to cost to much to mod and run. So I'm going to be in a mates 86, which should be fun. Fingers crossed I keep it out of the wall!