SAU Community

Temp Warning Lights In R34 N/a

My Car was originally a N/A Series 2 R34 (auto)

I was curious if anyone knew what temperature the warning lights for AT Oil Temp, and Engine Oil Temp actually illuminate at? I can't seem to find this information anywhere, even in the workshop manual. The workshop manual does mention the light comes on but only when the sensor detects variables which are everything except actual temperature.

Just curious before I bought gauges (which I will anyway) to see whether these can be relied on as actual warning lights, in a "It is time to immediately back off" kind of warning.

My google fu is clearly feeble.

They are normally referred to as "Idiot" lights.

Generally if the light is on; the damage is done. Gauges with pressure or temp warnings are a much better bet.

I understand this, my car actually has it labelled as "AT Oil Temp" (thats the actual text of the lamp that lights up)

I also have an oil idiot light, as well as an oil pressure guage in the standard cluster with a LED on it from factory.. which lights up when oil pressure = 0 or extremly low - But there's also another one with the typical oil icon which doesnt appear when the pressure LED is on, but does appear when you turn the car on prior to starting it, etc.

Was mainly looking at the AT Oil Temp one if anyone knew, as the oil pressure gauge does a laymans job of telling me if the oil is hot or not just by going on how much pressure is there when it warms up... (20w-60 oil) and well water temp has the little needle which doesn't move until something is seriously wrong. Not overly worried about oil overheating as everything I've read seems to indicate oil and coolant tend to go into the 'too high' region at the same time.

I'd be getting proper gauges before any kind of track day, but curious through spirited driving through the hills what the AT oil temp actually is, because cooking a laptop to the transmission ECU to read it is rather cumbersome, and the AT Temp is apparently the first thing to get worried about. Was wondering mainly if the light comes on at 80C where it isn't 'that bad' a problem or whether it comes on at 150C or something in which case it's too late.