SAU Community

Fifa 14 Vs Pes 2014

Hanaldo

Hey all,

Just thought I'd get some discussion going about the new series of footballing games. Anybody committed to one yet? I've decided to go with PES this year. Last year I thought they were about on par, this year I think PES has come on leaps and bounds and the new engine gives it an edge over FIFA. FIFA just feels much the same as last year, and compared to PES, the mechanics feel clunky and the physics just aren't as good.

Scoring goals is harder in PES, but it just makes it so much more exhilarating when you do score. I scored a real cracker with Howedes playing with Germany yesterday, picked the ball up from a corner clearance, hit it from 35 yards with the outside of the boot and it just curled magnificently into the far corner. It was so much fun I just watched the reply over and over for a good 5 minutes. I haven't had that in FIFA.

PES also has the by far better game modes. Master League and Become a Legend are infinitely more fun than FIFA's Be a Pro and Career modes. Of course there is the online factor... Haven't played online yet, but last year Pro Evo's online play was awful. Might end up getting both of them if I get bored playing offline.

Anyway, opinions?

I agree it turned to shit for a bit there. I was also a big PES fan on PS2. Converted to FIFA for a few years there, but last year PES picked it's game up and just had a few things letting it down like shooting mechanics and goalkeeper animations. Also not being able to change club in Master League made it get boring very quickly. But this year they have addressed all of those issues, and it really is a better game than FIFA.

The ONLY issue I've noticed is it has a slight frame rate problem. With all the improvements to graphics, they obviously forgot to amendthe frame rate. So on replays and near miss goal attempts, the game lags for a split second. Not game breaking, but enough to notice it. Not sure if that is only an issue on PS3 or if it's something that can be fixed in an update. Either way, not a major problem.

Started off as a FIFA fan on ps2, was introduced to PES and since then i've stuck with it. yes it sucked early on in the ps3 versions and in fact for the last few years too...but even so, it has always had the same sense of 'simulator' rather than flashy tricks showpony game that FIFA is. the way i see it, FIFA is like a ricer with unlimited budget. but PES is like a home build, solid and done slowly and properly - with hiccups on the way!

haven't played this year's yet because all time dedicated to GTA but will probably stick with PES, purely because i am used to it. so i guess i'm pretty biased.

Well the last few years I've bought and played both. I haven't played FIFA since about January, but I was playing PES up until Thursday when 2014 came out. And it's just improved on the things that made it so addictive.

Funny side note, PES 2014's stock soundtrack... Yehhhh Pavarotti :laugh: nothing gets me more in the mood to go and win the Champs League like listening to a bit of Nessun Dorma :P

FIFA because of the simple fact ultimate team is a great part of the game, have had my club established since 2011. Really fun collecting the players and building strong squads to take on other players and their ultimate teams in a PVP season and or tournament. I dont mind PES but i find the gameplay transitions and mechanics a little funny. FIFA this year feels a lots smoother, skill moves are improved, new celebrations for taking the piss out of people is fantastic. THe only thing i wish FIFA had was the in goal net cam up in the top corner so when you strike a bullet shot it can smash the net and make the camera fly all over the place (its just me i love the inside net camera lol)

Nothing beats the thrill of playing people online with your best team and the intensity as you progress from DIV 10 to DIV 1 in the seasons.

I do love UT. If I end up getting FIFA, it will only be to play UT. I feel FIFA as become a bit focused on UT, they haven't improved any of their other game modes for years. Not completely a bad thing, but sometimes I just don't feel like playing online. Its rather like COD in that respect, the game is designed to be played online and is good fun when you do, but the off line game modes are under developed and poor.

yah thats a very good point, i havent touched single player career yet. Building the UT takes time and moneys. And your right the single player gets old pretty quick, another good game mode is pro clubs where u have your pro and team up with mates, and all play together against other people online and their team. you can have a full team of RL people playing on both teams lol. Great fun.

For eg. Last night played a single player offline season with my UT first match i beat the ai 10-0 on pro. Yes its not world class but still. I was bored after scoring 4.

• 1 month later...

I'll be getting FIFA 14 when my PS4 arrives. I'm aware that PES has improved drastically, but since everyone I know plays FIFA I'm just going to stick with it.

I can imagine if friends come around and want to play it there will be moans and groans when PES comes out rather than FIFA.

• 1 month later...

The FIFA on the PS4 and XBone (possibly also on PC) uses the EA Ignite engine and plays differently compared to the current gen consoles; in my opinion it's muuuuuuuch better and fluid, and the players actually do what you want them to. For the first time ever since FIFA '99, I can't blame the game due to poor mechanics whenever I stuff up.

I won't comment on PES - haven't played it in a long time.

Always been a fifa fan sine about 97(?). Have owned a few PES versions also and they are quite good, just different.

Usually play on PS however have '14 on 360 and it is quite good. Don't like how you can't be a player and manage the team at the same time tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Very off topic here.....and admitting my lameness here too....

but how the f*** is anyone getting over $100k in fifa UT. I'm struggling to get anything over $20k having to maintain contracts across three squads. I simply don't buy and sell enough perhaps. I'm starting to adjust my sale times of players to get in the 6pm-10pm range in Europe, assuming thats the most popular area for UT gamers.

Do you guys have any advice?

• 3 months later...

Actually starting to change my tune about Fifa. I'm still a little annoyed by the mechanics. I'm not sure if its linked to the difficulty setting when playing against the CPU - but it seems as if the ball changes dynamics depending on which team has possession. For example, a well weight through-ball to attack the opposition goal seems to keep its pace or even accelerate when a player is chasing after it, until the ball rolls out of play. Alternatively, when the opposition kick a through ball the ball slows down/defender loses pace for the attacker to catch up and gain possession of the ball. I end up rage quitting if its fairly obvious.

Hmmm... PS3 or PS4? Can't say I've ever noticed that happening... The dynamics change a lot with the weather, sure that isn't what is happening?