SAU Community

Keep R33gtst or sell & buy 89 R32 GTR

Both the R32 GT-R and R33 GTS25t are great cars, my opinion is stay with the R33 GTS-t, get some nice modifications, R33 is newer and more reliable. R32 GT-R part's arn't cheap, and buying one from a Japanese Auction, you really don't know what your getting. If you do buy a R32 GT-R buy one locally.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GTR....nuff said...

thats what i would do / AM doing *fingers crossed all goes to plan*

Pics are an idea of what can be snapped up over there if your looking for some fun! My good friend just picked this one up, arrives in december...hahaha Race car style!

Haro

Wow rev210, your GTR is a good example of my analogy. How many k's did it have when you first got it?

I want a GTR myself, just trying to talk myself into it so to speak :(

That or a 89 Vette :P

Wow rev210, your GTR is a good example of my analogy. How many k's did it have when you first got it?

I want a GTR myself, just trying to talk myself into it so to speak :D

That or a 89 Vette :P

Just got photos of that white R32 GTR for sale for $25,500 very nice car, 94 model too. Only prob is its white :(.

I figure a total budget registered and alarmed of $25k should in theory get me a good 89. The thing I am trying to work out now as stated by Pentae is whether to search for a later model as FOB prices are actually cheaper for these due to the 15yr rule increasing demand.

Maybe finish paying of the 25t (only $2,800 left) and search for a latter model at a better price than an 89, by that time its poss that R32 SEVS compliance will be available which in theory should be $4,500 + tyres. Assuming the savings in FOB equate to the higher costs in compliance I might be able to get a good 92-94 model in stead of a good 89.

Eg. 810,000 FOB for this 92 model. It's only a theory I don't have a crystal ball :P

Goddamn, that has to be the cleanest, and best example of a R32 GT-R i've ever seen.

Get that midnight racer guy selling his for $25,500 to send u pics of his. Its a beaut, an entire level above that one. Dam thing is white though and I refuse to get white or pay $4k for a respray.

Thing is the km on that are stated at 127,900 but at least thats probably realistic. Unless they are in very very good nic its hard to believe that so many of the 10+ yr old GTR's have less than 100 clicks on them.

Has anyone here rebuilt there RB26DETT? Is it cheaper than buying a whole new motor?

if your looking at a gtr for 25k i dont think you can be that fussy about colour.

youve just got to weigh up if you would get a white 94 or grey 89 for the same price.

when i imported my car i was looking for a 180. and look what i ended up with. sometimes the choices are limited so you have to bid on all the cars that look good.

Yeah Im positive its cheaper to buy a R33 GTR front cut than it is to rebuild a GTR motor.

true, but a front cut = 2nd hand, which means u don't really know how good the engine is. With a rebuild, you can 101% sure u got a BRAND NEW engine.

bad thing is you can't really test before you buying an engine/gearbox other than visually inspect :)

I have an R32 GTR 'work car', I sold my R33 gtst 'work car' for it.

The GTR is an excellent daily driver. Do 35,000kms a year at least in mine.

but aren't gts-t a better daily car due to softer suspension, more comfortable seat and responsive due to smaller turbo?

drink less too

I'm not after padding, i'm after something that "holds" me in place rather than hanging onto the steering wheel to keep me still :rant:

The last R32 GTR seats I sat in were perfect except for the shoulders, a little squishy for me, I wonder if the R33 GTR seats are any different.

I must say that I'm very happy with the '89 I brough in. got it from Prestige at a good price. Only thing that 'broke down' (as everyone keeps saying these 15 yr old GTRs are crap buckets) was the diff, cost me $400 to fix. (I did the R&R work).

Better than paying whole wad extra to get a later model. How the Fu*k are you going to tell if a '94 is mechanically better? because the car has lower km's (ona a wound back clock!!). I bought my house BEFORE getting the car, keep your 33 and be happy with that. Save for your house, buy that - then save (NOT BORROW) for your next car, a NICE GTR of any model.

Shame the 15yr rule is going to be stopped. I think the thing to keep in mind is you just don't know what condition the car (be it any model)will be in - unless you strip every part and test for trueness, bends, wear etc.

Best of luck what ever you choose - ALL skylines are great cars.

BTW - I drive my crapbox EA harder than my GTR as it's a D/driver and it is still going strong with 270k...

that is true DAN00H, but think of the odds of an 89 car being farked compared to a later car. its all about reducing the risk.

Yea thats what I'm getting at. Potential for an extra 1-4 yrs worth of thrashing.

I'm learning towards importing a gunmetal or blu (fat chance) one. 92-94 <=120,000 clicks. I would even consider accident damaged provided it was an good A1 or A or RA rating and was given assurance by Geoff that repairs were good. Either that or a 90-91 grade 3.5 maybe 4.0

I figure I'll have around 1,000,000 JPY FOB so the above should be reasonable with reduced demand for 90-94's. This would be contingent on R32 SEVS compliance at similar cost to 33.

Also can anybody tell me the model variations of the 32 GTR from 89-94. The only thing i can find seems to be a revision (second series?) from August 91 on?

Thats one BIG FU#$OFF smilie that I felt I needed to include in my post :sadam:

I've seen new cars that are flogged out more than an older model... the key is seperating the good from the bad - Regardless of year! Anyone remember the R31 GTS - R (coudl have been X) that geoff had a few years back?? that thing was perfect.

I read a post today of a guy that bought a LOCAL '92 R32 and it is stuffed! this after it had been 'inspected'....

I've seen new cars that are flogged out more than an older model...  the key is seperating the good from the bad - Regardless of year!  Anyone remember the R31 GTS - R (coudl have been X) that geoff had a few years back??  that thing was perfect.  

I read a post today of a guy that bought a LOCAL '92 R32 and it is stuffed! this after it had been 'inspected'....

Totally agree. But statistically speaking the probability is higher in getting a flogged 89 than it is a 94. 5 potential extra years of flogging. Of course, this is pretty 1 dimensional thinking other factors like weather, congestion, storage, driver behavious all affect condition. Bla bla bla.

:bat: = zymotic in his R32GTR..... one day.

but aren't gts-t a better daily car due to softer suspension, more comfortable seat and responsive due to smaller turbo?

drink less too

The suspension on the stock GTR is quite comfortable. The seats in the GTR are quite good for my back vs the old R33 gtst. The more responsive turbo on the gtst also means less 'go', thats not much fun.

The brakes and wet weather performance on the GTR is so far beyond the gtst it more than makes up for the slight increase in fuel usage as a daily work car. It's lots more fun to drive too.