SAU Community

Keep R33gtst or sell & buy 89 R32 GTR

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is certainly the million dollar question on a lot of GTST enthusiast minds. To be honest the 89's can represent a dream come true or your worst maintenance nightmare - As i've been constantly reminded by people in the know (editor of HPI, etc) GTR's are a hell of a leap in maintenance budget over a GTST. However, they are as good as their rep. Beware some of these bargains though! I say if you've got the cash - Go for it. Oh & yeah, it'd probably be better to go with a model that has already got a newer engine or one with a rebuild -extra peace of mind.

Explain the difference in maintenance costs between a GTS-t vs GTR car for a GTS-t owner like myself? Presently for my GTS-t over the past 47,000km it has consisted of:

* Engine Oil

* Gearbox Oil

* Brake Fluid

* Brake Pads

* Engine Coolant

* Tyres

* Air filter cleaner

Now most of the above is only a yearly change over, tell me how it is going to cost more for a GTR than it would for a GTS-t for the above? (give or take $100). Over the past 20mths (47,000km) the above list is the only maintenance I have done on my GTS-t and it drives as well today as it does the day I picked it up. Everything else I have spent has either been a modification or replacing a part which I broke (and it only broke because I took it Drag Racing / Circuit Racing, not general daily driving).

Sure when you want to start modifying parts it is going to cost more but that is because its either a higher quality part (RB26DETT over RB25DET) or because you need 2 of everything, but I can't see how general maintenance costs would differ by much (if anything at all). The only difference I can see is insurance costs.

The biggest issue appears to be the quality of the 15yo engine. You can pickup a replacement engine from $6k or spend double that and get a really good quality engine. Take your $18-24k 89 model GTR an 6-12mths add an engine rebuild / replacement ($6k-12k) and it would still be cheaper/same to buy an 89 GTR.

According to JSPEC 89's are more expensive than 90+ models due to higher demand. So it might be more sensible of me to wait for SEVS compliance so i can get a 93-94 model instead. Unfortunately, I guess it may be some time before R32 SEVS compliance is available - possibly on 1 Jan 2005 when the 15 yr rule dies.

Anybody have any info on when workshops will be able to SEVS comply 32's?

In the meantime I will also keep my eyes peeled for local 32 GTR's.

Have u bought yours yet? Any indications on time frame for SEVS 32 compliance. Wonder if the 1st group of SEVS will charge an arm and a leg for 32 compliance.

Makes me wonder if 33 compliance has dropped now that there are more 33 complaincers. I paid $3,500 + tyres 8 months ago.

I might start doing some research on 90+ models and their FOB's. Based on the above I guess you would be ahead if u got it for $2500 less (assuming $1000 for 15 yr compliance)

due to a younger car.

Maybe the other thing to consider is how safe the storage will be if it has to stay in Japan for a few months.

i said it before and ill say it again. buy local so much easier and there are cars around for your price that are not 89s. and you can check them out and drive them. i cant see how there is any choice to make. the only reason to import is if you can get one cheaper than here. and if its 25 for an 89 there and 25500 for a 94 here why would you look anywhere else. isnt that logical?! same price, younger car, and you can actually check it out.

I think I need to drive a GTR before i think about this anymore. My car has a heap of power and can keep up with some of the fastests GTRs in Adelaide. Im prolly gonna stay with my 33 and get a big turbo for it... Who knows..

210rwkw and you can keep up with Keir Wilson and John Munro??? :Oops:

R32/R33 GTRs make 210awkw (220-225rwkw) with exhaust, boost, and ECU :D R34 GTRs make a lot more :D

Really depends what you want to use the car for.

If your plans are to use the car as second car and use at the track quite a bit then I would grab the GTR, do the usual mods and thrash it. :D

BUT if its a daily driver then stick with the R33, nice turbo, exhaust, fmic, ebc + 1bar wastegate, powerfc, thicker headgasket, injectors, fuel pump and you can have your 250-300rwkw reliable RB25DET.

I have an R32 GTR 'work car', I sold my R33 gtst 'work car' for it.

The GTR is an excellent daily driver. Do 35,000kms a year at least in mine.

my 33GTR with exhaust and boost makes closer to 270rwkw

How do R34 GTR's make more? its the same engine...?

I don't think so mate... You either have other mods you don't know about or you went on a "happy dyno" :D

R34 GTRs make more power because they have different trim turbos with steel wheel exhaust turbines that can support 1.4 bar boost everyday (proven by many UK GTROC guys)

i said it before and ill say it again. buy local so much easier and there are cars around for your price that are not 89s. and you can check them out and drive them. i cant see how there is any choice to make. the only reason to import is if you can get one cheaper than here. and if its 25 for an 89 there and 25500 for a 94 here why would you look anywhere else. isnt that logical?! same price, younger car, and you can actually check it out.

Tis logical mate but lets be real. $25,500 is an exception not the rule. Most 94's are 30k+. Besides if its that white one on the forums no good i want gunmetal.

I cant see what the problem is with a r32 GTR having 100k kms. I mean thats quite good mileage on a 15 year old car. If its genuine, I cant see why the GTR wouldnt be able to pull off at least another 100k kms. I mean, how many 89 dunny doors and 89 foulcans are at least 250k kms and still going without engine rebuilds. Sure they may not be in the best of nick, but you cant compare a 100k GTR with a 250+k km taxi.

I cant see what the problem is with a r32 GTR having 100k kms. I mean thats quite good mileage on a 15 year old car. If its genuine, I cant see why the GTR wouldnt be able to pull off at least another 100k kms. I mean, how many 89 dunny doors and 89 foulcans are at least 250k kms and still going without engine rebuilds. Sure they may not be in the best of nick, but you cant compare a 100k GTR with a 250+k km taxi.

Well, the 100ks on a GTR are most likely driven 'hard'. Where the commos or falcons are usually 'normal' driven.

But then again, the build quality in every aspects of the car is going to be WAY better than the aussies. Hmmmm... :Oops:

It really comes to LUCK when you're importing a car.

the ks on a lot of imports are not right either. but even so as mentioned before the build quality of an 89 gtr would be much better than anything on the market here in aus.

kelvin a lot of the commos and falcons on the road nowdays that are that old are owned by 17 and 18 year old p platers who thrash the hell out of them. but the only thing with local cars is that the service history may not be as good as a jap import bearing in mind how strict the licensing is over in japan and ther fact that they need to go throguh a shaken regualarly.

Well, the 100ks on a GTR are most likely driven 'hard'. Where the commos or falcons are usually 'normal' driven.

But then again,  the build quality in every aspects of the car is going to be WAY better than the aussies.  Hmmmm... :Oops:  

It really comes to LUCK when you're importing a car.

Mines done 230,000+ kms already without an engine rebuild. It's been club raced and driven in a spirited manner all it's life. It's very well serviced tho'. It should require a rebuild some time soon having said that but, so far it's not complaining.