SAU Community

Can't Remove My Crank Gear

cuong nguyen

Hey guys just pulling down my rb30 for reco. Got to my crank gear the cog that the timing belt runs on don't know what it's called. I can't get it off. I've put pry bars behind it to try n leaver it off smashed behind it with a flat head to pry it off and it's just not moving.

Any help would be good thanks. It's so frustrating

Cheers Cuong.

Remove the flywheel seal retainer, main stud cradle, and all the bolts on the pump. Then lift the crank and pump out together.

Once the crank is out of the block, you can get a claw puller behind the gear and take it off the crank without destroying it. Take it to an engine workshop and have them do it if you don't have a claw puller.

The other option is drill through the gear in multiple places down to the woodruff key, and then break the gear with a cole chisel. I prefer the non-destructive method, saves you buying a new gear that way too.

I've tried to get it off straight but it just doesn't move.

I'd prefer to just pull the gear off. Don't wanna pull the crank out yet I need my friend with before I can do that, he is over watching my build and help me through.

Check the woodruff key is not burred, i saw a workshop near me trying to pull one off a 2JZ and the moment i ran my fingers over the key you could feel the sharp edges, a bit of a file and it came off smoothly.

If its stuck on before it even moves a little, try the removing the crank method as its the least destructive.

In the past ive managed to move them by hammering a knife gently down each side around the back where the rear guide washer is to get them moving with some wd40 spray added to the mix, once they move a little, some lube and some working and a bit of gentle tapping gets them off.

Just a tip for when you put it back on, get a tube of anti seize and smear it on the crank nose and inside the gear. It's a moly based greese that doesn't dry up.

Makes life a lot easier next time!

I got a flat head screw driver and got it in between the oil pump and the gear and just slowly twisted the screw driver until I saw the gear budge and then did it on the other side. Kept doing this until there was enough space for the pulley puller claws to fit. Came right off without any dramas :)