SAU Community

Stagea M35 Oil In Intercooler Pipe

luvsno.stagea

Hi, found oil leaking from what i think is intercooler exit pipe. (big, comes up from under coolant tank to top of motor left side). Checked inside pipe & it,s coated with oil. Could this be due to previous turbo failure or am i about to have major problems. Turbo has been playing up under full boost. tightend pipe clips & installed boost gauge. seems better. goes to 13psi then drops back to around 8 as revs increase. is this normal. Thanks Brent

Some level of oil is quite normal in the pipes. The engine re-circulates crankcase gases to improve emissions. This leaves some residual oil mist within the piping. Excess oil, puddles - 1/4 litre or so in intercoolers, would indicate a loose engine, that may be suffering blow by. It could also be oil from the turbochargers oil seals, on the past old turbo.

How has the turbo been playing up?

At 13psi it may well play up soon, plus you could be hitting rich and retard, drop the boost to 10psi and see if it runs better...

Drop the intercooler and clean it out with kero or similar, then pressure test the intake as you reassemble it.

Hi thanks for answers- i'm feeling better already! sometimes when floored i dont seem to have any boost, It usually goes great at about a third throttle. Suspect air leak. obviously there is a leak where i see the oil leak. I tightened this & some other easy to get to clamps, seems better. Went to open rd & tried it, it changed down & sat on 13psi. tried it again & went to 13 then dropped back to 10. Suspect maybe still air leaks. Cars done 155000 k's so presume it's on second turbo. Will try to pressure test system. thanks again. Brent