SAU Community

Portable Basketball Hoops

warps

Looking to get a replacement BB hoop / back board for the young fella. He's been playing club for 5 seasons now (summer and winter comp) and loves the sport - is starting to show some ability but needs to be able to practice at home. We've had a fairly cheap portable system for the last few years which was pretty crappy. The pole was very flexible, and the back board gave no resistance, so it was hard to simulate the real thing.

Are any of the adjustable portable (sub $1000) systems much good, or do they all suffer from the same flaccid construction? I'm happy to spend up to $1k if we can get something stable, robust and that will last a few years. (He's gone through 2 of the cheaper ones now, lasting less than 2 years each). We went to Rebel sport to look at the Spalding Platinum (can get it for $549 at some places) but they didn't have one on display to check out the quality.

I've heard that the Spalding Beast is much more solid, but the cheapest I could find was $1200, which is getting up there in cost.

Any other recommendations, or should I just cement a pole into the driveway (obviously not the preferred option)

Yeh ours has fallen over many times. At least the higher grade portable ones are easier to lower so can store it in the lowered position and raise it when being used.

We never park the cars in the driveway so unlikely to damage anything (except a few bushes) if it does fall over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...