SAU Community

Metal Plates For Driveway

MrStabby

I need to smooth out the gutter etc to get the GTR in without lip damage. First quote is $1900 incl delivery and GST for 2 off 1.5x3meter 12mm plates. Does that sound reasonable price and thickness wise?

I need to smooth out the gutter etc to get the GTR in without lip damage. First quote is $1900 incl delivery and GST for 2 off 1.5x3meter 12mm plates. Does that sound reasonable price and thickness wise?

just use wooden blocks. 50 bucks max. sand/plain them back to shape. waterproof em. will last years.

Holy f**k do you know how heavy that thing will be?? Your gonna need a forklift to get them into place.

Post some pics of the driveway.

Just use wood man. The house I live at the moment as a freaking shocking driveway entrance. Im going to use some wood. Ill post some before and after pics. I dont have my r33 here yet so i still got some time to make it but screw paying almost $2000!

@ Terry - ill give Sims a call. Any idea how many mm think yours are?

@ battery - Yeah i know forklift required.

Wood? Meh. I'll spend some time to work out how much shorter i can get away with - I imagine the angles are in a non-linear relationship with the plate length. Just need to remember how to do trigonometry...

I'll take my vernier down Adam and measure it tomorrow

I opted for 2 plates because when it rains, the muck goes underneath.

Cost was about a grand I thought including drop off and placement. Then came the hole drilling and insertion of Roundhead bolts.

this is all too extreme, i encounted this problem also where my driveway, dips down where the gutter is. and ripping my 32 gtr spoiler off neally everytime, so i found abit of old checker plate steel around 8-10mm thick brought it home, cut it to the size i wanted, approx 1200x2000w i then welded to steel angles to the underside 65x65mm length ways roughly were the wheels go over the plate. also welded 2x 16mmx65mm dynabolts to the under side of plate,either side where plate sites on the tar. then drilled). water still flows underneath, has held up for the last 12months since i installed it, and has withstood my 9 tonne work truck driving over it numerous times. cost me $0 and took me around an hour. can upload pics if needed? can also help you if you need? i have a truck a hiab, and work with steel all day. just need to locate steel. (scrap yard) inbox me for details

Lee - where did you get the check plate? I have no oxy or welding equipment, so I'll just have to spend the money. Unless i can find a better option i'll probably just go for 1 off 1.5x3meter 12mm plate to halve the price, or maybe see if the supplier can do 10mm in the same size. I sometimes have semis parked across my driveway....hopefully they wont bend it.

More than 8mm will be a must then.

It'll be great if you can access the steel cheaply!

Once laid, we also slotted a couple of coach bolts with sleeves (some way along the plates) so that trucks wouldn't bend the plates.

i work in the roller shutter industry, and took down an old sliding gate, that someone had welded the piece of checkplate too, so it was just by luck mate, but there are cheap ways around it. i personally have no access to plate steel in that size, but would recommend giving sims a call to see what the would charge for an old piece, or a local steel supplier. thats why i welded 10mm 65x65 angle underneath, where the low points are to stop any flexing or bending under load. as i said mate i have a truck with a hiab, welder,grinders,oxy and am more then happy to help you. just need to locate some steel. i have access to smaller bits for strengthening underside etc. just let me know mate.