SAU Community

Coils

czy18e

Hey everyone.

What is the most powerful bosch coil you can get? (Part number)

Currently running 717's and on e85 I'm losing spark over 21 psi.

Don't have the cash for big money ignition at the moment just want a cheap upgrade so I can bump the boost up a couple more psi.

I haven't had an issue with my stock VQ coils at 40psi, there is obviously something wrong with your setup if you can't run more than 21...

Are you running a wideband? Most likely the mixture is just too rich and it's flooding under boost. Otherwise, drop a set of VQ coils in there. :P

Yep. If you don't charge them enough they won't fire at full capacity. Too much will overheat them.

Typically a higher capacity coil will need more dwell. Perhaps thats your issue.

I can't see why not, might need a little modification. I can test one out on the 34 here if you like, and see how it fits...

You may need to adjust the dwell from RB specs, not sure what mine is running though.

That would be a great investigative pursuit haha!

I fitted a VQ coil to the Neo 25 today, the loom plugs straight in (not sure the pins are the same yet.) and the lower section can be swapped to some extent, although the 34 lower insulator is larger where it joins to the coil. No big deal fitting them I suspect.

A bracket wouldn't be too hard by the looks of it either.

I too noticed the loom plugs looked about right. So in theory they should work by the sounds of it, though your in the best position to find out haha.

Have been doing some searching for info on dwell time etc, with little luck. Must be hard owning one, as there is little about them.

Edited by benji-nz

There is so much more information around on VQ25det's now, compared to when I got the Stagea 6 years ago, mainly due to my own r+d. :P

I have the workshop manual, and have translated the ecu pinout diagram, so the plug pinouts are easy to check. Other than that they should drop in using the lower insulator of the rb coil, perhaps with a cable tie or similar around the upper section.

post-63525-0-10464600-1390180067_thumb.jpg

Maybe mate the two insulators together rb lower to fitt the head and upper vq to fit the coilpack.

Other than that, grab some toyota pencil denso coils (from a 1z-zfe?? or similar). Built-in ignitors and the supra guys swear by them.

1ZZ-fbe is the engine you want. :P

VQ coils have built in ignitor also.

If these plug straight in, it's a no brainer. The only time I have had misfire is when the mixture was under 10:1 on ethanol and it wouldn't ignite well due to the plugs being wet.

Hey everyone.

What is the most powerful bosch coil you can get? (Part number)

Currently running 717's and on e85 I'm losing spark over 21 psi.

Don't have the cash for big money ignition at the moment just want a cheap upgrade so I can bump the boost up a couple more psi.

What plug gap are you running? I had a miss at 0.8 so went down to 0.65 and all good.