SAU Community

Tighten Up Shifter Play R32 Gtr?

slowridn73

just got my GTR and one of my first projects is going to be to remove the play from the shifter (its a big annoyance to me).

I have been doing a little research and game up with the GKT solid shifter bushing ( http://www.gktech.com/index.php/s15-r32-r33-gtr-solid-shifter-bushing.html ), superpro trans poly bushings ( http://www.superpro.com.au/superpro-parts/SPF2476K ), and possibly the nismo motor and trans mounts.

based on my experience with my 04 STi these are similar to the upgrades I used, and the results were amazing. However I cant seem to find alot of info reguarding reviews for these parts on the GTR and I just wanted to ask what people have been doing to tighten up their shifter or if anyone has any experience with these parts. I did find some reviews on the nismo mounts but they ranged from no different than stock nissan mounts to the greatest thing since sliced bread, so Im looking for a little more info to form a better opinion on these.

If this topic has been covered somewhere else I appologize, the forum search was not very helpful and I ended up using google to search through this as well as the canadian and UK forums and only came up with some threads on the nismo mounts, so if you you can point me in the right direction that would be great as well.

thanks

Go with your research

- Nismo Quickshift or Shortshift

- Nismo Eng and GB mounts

Going too solid in the mounts and shifter you will live to regret it.

I use the Nismo mounts and a C's short shifter. (C's No longer available new) :thumbsup:

Street GTR32

If your doing drag / Drift / track listen to others (I have no experience)

Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that this is for a street only car.

I was reading up on the nismo short shift and was seeing alot of complaints about grinding gears (posibly due to excess force and overshift?), so I was going to bypass this option for now unless it helps with the problem I am trying to fix.

Are there any mounts availible other than the nismo mounts? On my STi I used a set of cusco engine mounts and they were perfect, much better than the factory upgraded N1 mounts but not a lot of vibration transfer to the chassis. Im not looking for solid mounts or anything, just trying to expand my options.

Cant go wrong with Cusco either.

Stay clear of solid shifter bushings. It will cause issue's.

I'm returning from my C's to a stock stick.

The C's been great but for my use I don't need the tightness nor the shortness to each gear.

I suppose not significant or die in the ditch issues :blush:

- Benefits are a tighter feel, potentially quicker shifting due to less distance to travel and a shorter stick.

Playing opposites

- obviously accelerates wear (more solid bush) and accentuates any GB issue you may have, a little bit of extra muscle required (not really worth a mention but..), more precise movements required and you leave your hand on and guide it more in/out. Exaggerates any notchy gear feeling (more difficult in/out of any slightly "notchy" gear)

Great to keep your focus on driving / changing gears like a real racer tho :)

• Like 1

If by shifter bushing you mean the cap on the end of the shifter, then some have found the stock plastic ones break. That seems rare tho, so it might just be user brutality. Personally i don't think the metal (brass?) ones pose any real wear risk.

The complaint about grinding gears with a short shift is pretty dumb, since you would get the same effect by changing the gears more quickly with the standard shifter. Synchos can only do so much, and they get sloppier with wear.

I have the nismo 10% shifter (the ~$250 one, not the 25% ~$500 one) and its just feels like it tightens things up a bit - doesnt really feel like a true short shifter. It uses the stock pivot point. A true short shifter will raise the pivot point with a mount that bolts to the top of the gearbox.

I have not driven any other R32s but I have owned many older cars such as a 68 firebird and a 73 mustang. The normal cause for movement is worn and very soft bushings. I do not believe the transmission is to blame.

Normally there are two areas which I work on, the first being the pivot point of the shifter it self and the second being the movement of the engine and trans (motor and trans mounts). This has worked for me in the past (most recently in the STi I mentioned above), so I want to address this first, I just want to ask move experienced members if they had done this already as I would rather learn from others mistakes than my own on this.

Thanks for the replies, I think I might try the nismo short shift and possible get the solid shifter bush to test out later down the road. As for the motor and trans mounts I want to try and find harder units but if nothing ill stick with the nismo units and the super pro kit.

ok then..

a short shifter will tighten up the feel of the shifter..

I had a 25% shorter shifter in for a while and it was tighter than **** *****. but took it out because it was too easy to shift too quick and miss gears ( especially on the track ).

So maybe just go the 10% shorter one