SAU Community

Z32 Ecu In A S1

whitenight27

In all honestly you might as well just buy a new aftermarket ECU and have that tuned and be done with it. The advantage here is that if you choose to do further mods later, it will be just as easy (if not easier) to adjust the tune.

At the very least, you should explore the option and figure out if it will be better value for money, rather than buying a Z32 ECU, re-wiring it, trying it, and finding out it still might not work.

It's not piggy back ecu.

And it's not many people's first choice of ecu (or at all)

And no matter what ecu you decide on its down to the tuner to give you a nice tune.

There are a couple of things to consider with choosing an aftermarket ECU

1/ if you are automatic, none of them will control the auto trans. This means you lose the function that reduces power slightly when the transmission chooses to change gears which will affect smoothness and possibly shorten the transmission's life.

2/ how hard is it to install an ECU. In your case and plug in for an R34 will be the easiest because as you said only a couple of wires have to be moved. If it is full wire in there will be a significant labour cost to connect and troubleshoot

3/ what does your tuner like. pretty much all ECUs do the basic stuff the same so just pick something your tuner knows well to save cost on tuning. The only feature I can think of that is important in a road car is making sure you can keep the AFM and don't need to swap to a MAP based ECU

• 3 weeks later...

A Stagea S1 auto with an R34 piggy back loom and piggy back ECU management system will work - there are no miss matched wires - DUE MAINLY because the pig loom only uses a select few wires to change parameters . Leaving the ECU and original wiring system alone .

A Stagea S2 ECU will work and be nistuneable in an S1 Stagea that runs a manual conversion - there maybe an issue with pin 51 and a resistor needed ! . As for Air-con Rev counter ETC. I do not know .

The R34 GTT ECU should IN THEORY !! - run a MANUAL converted S1 ! - this dose not mean that the air con , Rev Counter - ETC will function correctly .

My thinking is now Using an ECU that can be nistuned from an R32/R33 RB25det/RB20DET 4WD Auto ( pref 1996 ) , and changing the grey plug wiring loom to a blue plug wiring loom from said series 2 R33 or R32 - the 4WD Autobox SHOULD be the same as the Stagea ( tiptronic IS NOT SIMILAR to Stagea autobox )

trying to find an auto 4WD R33 ECU is proving difficult !

R32 has a few options BUT will there be an issue with S1 and S2 RB engine management ?? , I know that R32 have an ignition pack on top of the coil pack cover ! would this create an issue

Here are some ECU`s that SHOULD !!! work if Nistuned in an S1 Automatic Stagea - if I am wrong please state !!

R32-GTS4 RB20DET Auto 4W 23710-04U70
R32 RB20DET 4WD AT 23710-04U70
R32 RB20DET S2 4WD AT 2371M-11U70
R33 GTS25t RB25DET Auto 4WD 23710-21U70
23710-21U10 08/93-09/93 RB25DET AT F4
23710-24U11 09/93-04/94 RB25DET AT F4
23710-21U12 04/94-07/94 RB25DET AT F4
23710-21U13 07/94-01/95 RB25DET AT F4
23710-21U70 01/95-08/95 RB25DET AT F4
23710-21U71 08/95-01/96 RB25DET AT F4

A Stagea S1 auto with an R34 piggy back loom and piggy back ECU management system will work - there are no miss matched wires - DUE MAINLY because the pig loom only uses a select few wires to change parameters . Leaving the ECU and original wiring system alone .

A Stagea S2 ECU will work and be nistuneable in an S1 Stagea that runs a manual conversion - there maybe an issue with pin 51 and a resistor needed ! . As for Air-con Rev counter ETC. I do not know .

The R34 GTT ECU should IN THEORY !! - run a MANUAL converted S1 ! - this dose not mean that the air con , Rev Counter - ETC will function correctly .

My thinking is now Using an ECU that can be nistuned from an R32/R33 RB25det/RB20DET 4WD Auto ( pref 1996 ) , and changing the grey plug wiring loom to a blue plug wiring loom from said series 2 R33 or R32 - the 4WD Autobox SHOULD be the same as the Stagea ( tiptronic IS NOT SIMILAR to Stagea autobox )

trying to find an auto 4WD R33 ECU is proving difficult !

R32 has a few options BUT will there be an issue with S1 and S2 RB engine management ?? , I know that R32 have an ignition pack on top of the coil pack cover ! would this create an issue

Here are some ECU`s that SHOULD !!! work if Nistuned in an S1 Automatic Stagea - if I am wrong please state !!

R32-GTS4 RB20DET Auto 4W 23710-04U70

R32 RB20DET 4WD AT 23710-04U70

R32 RB20DET S2 4WD AT 2371M-11U70

R33 GTS25t RB25DET Auto 4WD 23710-21U70

23710-21U10 08/93-09/93 RB25DET AT F4

23710-24U11 09/93-04/94 RB25DET AT F4

23710-21U12 04/94-07/94 RB25DET AT F4

23710-21U13 07/94-01/95 RB25DET AT F4

23710-21U70 01/95-08/95 RB25DET AT F4

23710-21U71 08/95-01/96 RB25DET AT F4

On what basis do you say those ecus SHOULD work? I would be inclined to say some MAY work because I understand that between different models there are differences to how and where the Autos are controlled - sometimes from within the engine ecu and sometimes by a separate ecu for the auto. I am not sure how you can tell without exhaustive readings of the appropriate workshop manuals.

And don't you need to rule out all R33 ecus as there is no Nistune board for them?

I can agree that piggy backing anything from a Nistuned R32 ecu (which I had once) to a Link on to a stock ecu should work.

If you find an ecu on your list that can both be Nistuned and run the S1 auto then you will have made a great discovery. I fear it will be a difficult mission but good luck!

PS if you identify an ideal ecu but can't find one let me know as they are usually fairly cheap over here.

• Like 1

The only feature I can think of that is important in a road car is making sure you can keep the AFM and don't need to swap to a MAP based ECU

Duncan what do you have against MAP based ecus on a road car? My Link is (and Vipecs are) MAP based. What do you feel is the downside? Yes I track my car but 95% of my km are on the road.

MAY it is ! :yes:

given that there are forum reports that there are 3 types of ECU fitted to the S 1 Stagea ........ it is a long road of many dead ends .

BUT ....

I have what i believe the solution sat in my car at the moment !! :woot:

BUT.....

finding a tuner in the UK that LIKES !? OR CAN !! tune an HKS F/con IS THE ISSUE !

I have fitted and run an R34 GTT piggyback `loom and HKS F/con unit` WITH NO ISSUE TO GEARBOX OR ENGINE .....

BUT .....

I have been told that MY HKS will not hold a map !?

So I KNOW it works

BUT

I will either need a tuner that knows his stuff - and can fix issues

( UK do not have software or speak Japanese so without English instructions or a program MOST tuners will not touch !! )

or to buy another NEW HKS F/con that is both in English and in a tuners list of can do .

My thinking ALOUD above is more of a starting point as to if any are indeed possible !,

EG .. with an ECU and loom from an R33 auto 2.5DET 4WD would it not match both engine and gearbox ?

BUT

as pointed out above from KiwiRS4T " And don't you need to rule out all R33 ECU`s as there is no Nistune board for them? "

SO

I am learning ! ( only owned 32`s ! and Stagea`s )

in my learning I hope i am not giving anyone the shits :action-smiley-069:

would that then open the door to running an R32 auto 4WD ECU ? with a 32 ECU loom ? 20DET and 25DET should not be an issue !