SAU Community

R34 Gtr Gear Knob Removal - How?

iwanta34gtr

Hey guys,

Seeking assistance in removal of an R34 GTR gear knob. I've twisted and twisted (anti clockwise) but just cant get it to budge.

Car is an R34 GTR. In research, I've seen that there is an allen key or bolt somewhere, but I cant find it.

I did find 2 holes on either side of the base but the allen key just goes straight through it from either side - it doesnt appear to be a thread.

Does anyone have picture or the bolt / instructions on how to get the gear knob off?

On my own R34 GTR, the gear knob just unscrewed straight off.

Cheers for your help.

Edited by iwanta34gtr

No, there's no bolt as your car demonstrates.

Would using one of those miniature pencil butane torches from underneath assist?

The bit under the knob which you lift to stick it in reverse is made of plastic, don't want to melt it by accident.

Cheers mate.

been ages since i removed mine (which you now have ha)

I could be wrong, but does the little section at the base of the gear knob unscrew from the gearknob itself to reveal an allen key bolt holding it on?

• Like 1

I ran into the same problem not long ago when i installed my nismo gt500 titanium one. I thought you put an allen key around the bottom or use another tool however you dont need any tools.

All you have to do is grab it with two hands and a cloth and twist with everything you got. If its the original knob and has never been changed, it is held on by some tough glue which you will find dries up and will be in circular threaded shaped pieces when the knob comes out.

If you get tired, take a break and try again. Hopefully this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys. Managed to remove it tonight - wore gloves and twisted heaps, eventually it gave way.

EV1, I think you're correct. Looking at the thread, it was either loctite or the original factory glue holding it on.

Hopefully my fiancé likes the Nismo Titanium one I got her, we'll find out tomorrow morning.

If not, at least it won't be as much of a mission to remove it this time!

Cheers.

titanium.jpg