SAU Community

Rb25 Non Vct Cams

Lol. Rightio mate. I'm not talking OEM parts, I'm talking what often is expensive stuff, aftermarket gear. I'll give you an example.

HKS step two valve springs used with an aggressive custom made cam valve floated at around 5500 at 20 psi on my own engine. Pulled them out along with the mega dollar Jun Ti retainers and put in a a set from camtech. Not only did it not valve float but the retainers fit the spring much better, also 1/3rd the price!

Exhausts, you'd be crazy not to get a custom one made. It'll fit better and not really be much more expensive.

Nice pretty sard fuel rail - doesn't have a seat for the injectors to but up against. Waste of cash.

Tomei manifolds - not worth the box they came in as they crack. I've personally done two sets and a mate has one off an Evo currently holding down the concrete in his garage. Cracked to hell.

That's only a few examples.

I agree, but some people don't believe in listening to experience these days Paul. It has a Jap brand name on it, must be good. Unfortunately most of their gear comes out of China now anyway, as with most products, and there are usually better parts around that don't have the Jap brand tax added.

The best thing you can do is let the engine builder/mechanic sort out the springs for you, he probably has more experience with parts that work well for your application. I have seen a few brand new valve springs snap lately after fitting, they are so high tensile these days it is getting commonplace. If you supply the parts you will have no 'warranty' when they fail. The spring supplier will only replace the spring, not fit it for you... Same goes for most parts.

Scotty, bit late now. It's all done and all works. They were a new grind of cam (aggressive ramp rates). Having said that, it didn't take much for you to push the spring down while the cams were out. Point is 'catalogue shopping' and taking the blind freddy approach that 'is jap, is good' definitely isn't the right way to do it.

Going a little off topic, back to pulling out VCT :P.

I also just went with the spring/retainer set that lewis engines uses with all his camtech cams, and they are fine, but in saying that, my stock springs were fine on 25psi+ anyway.

I kept VCT and cut the hole in the 26 cover, doesn't look that bad.

My mate also with a 500kw+ engine cut the hole and fabbed a hump in the cover for the VCT to clear.

yeah I would have though 256 are a bit small for 500kw setup, mine are the 272 9mm lift in/ex and I picked up nearly 50atw on same boost while keeping vct

• Like 1