SAU Community

#6 Sydney Skyline Cruise - Bateau Bay (Edit)

smiik33

Nice shots mate! Didnt get any of the moving shots from the front eh for mine hahahah sorry about that - wanted to tell you yesterday but i forgot - i thought you were filming a video, only noticed you were taking picture after the second time... apologies again...

Really enjoyed the cruise, and thanks Brennan, I was happy to add a 36 to the mix! Glad I could stick with the crew as far as the Entrance, though I must say I thought there was going to be a beachside photo at the end of it! Also glad I missed the offroad component (the upside of a 2.5 year old who needs to get home).

So I just experienced a few good scrapes on the way out of the Entrance...hopefully no damage. Doesn't sound like anything is wrong, and nothing fell off so I am hopeful ;)

Sorry I couldn't say bye to all when you went into the cafe. My son slept soundly all the way home!

Thanks one and all for the photos; Jason your reverse shots 'in motion' were nicely executed.

• Like 3

Were you guys given Google Maps of the route as recommended in Post #2? no

Any warnings given about off-road section? no

Any consideration via pre-planning for low slung cars? yes

In fact, any briefing offered at the outset?yes

Receiving multiple PMs of complaint (at Exec level) has not been good. :ermm:

given that it wasn't an SAU event, who bothers doing this?

As unfortunate as it is that people suffered damage. Much like the last cruise and complaints about speed, all i say to you guys is that EVERY driver has a choice to do or not to do something.

Turning onto the dirt road was a choice we all made.

• Like 3

The reason why we turned in together was, when you are following a car to the middle of nowhere - suddenly you put a signal and turn in - we all went in together - for the first 500m - no problem - then it started to get really bad... and as you know - i think to reverse back or to turn back at that point would be quite difficult...

I think BEFORE we were even in that situation - we should have been informed - then the choice would have been clearer and easier to make - that is all we are saying - it was a good trip - but there were hiccups - and the reasons for that is stated above... its just plain constructive feedback...

• Like 1

The reason why we turned in together was, when you are following a car to the middle of nowhere - suddenly you put a signal and turn in - we all went in together - for the first 500m - no problem - then it started to get really bad... and as you know - i think to reverse back or to turn back at that point would be quite difficult...

I think BEFORE we were even in that situation - we should have been informed - then the choice would have been clearer and easier to make

This is pretty much it! It wasn't like we stopped at the beginning of the turn and let people choice whether we want go in or not, it just happened in 5 seconds and the first 500m didn't look too bad and we all stick pretty close to each otherand there was just no way I can back off there, if you were there you would understand. When I made that turn there is no f*&king way I know we going to an off-road, when you in a skyline cruise, off-road would be the very very last thing to think about! That was pure stupidity!

Was at JLM with Jun earlier - The rear exhaust flange was hit hard - and bend the rear flange... car been left there to check further if that would impact anything else to the system... The rear diffuser - bent as well as the flat part of the diffuser bent and scratched pretty badly... Front Lip chipped paint and the part where it locks to the bumper cracked...

Overall the trip was ok in the beginning - But the offroad section we were not informed off - I think that was the main issue as we all were not informed, we could have chosen not to participate in the offroad section...

Also would have needed a sweeper that knows the locations at the back of the group... That would help in avoiding people from getting lost.. Jun, My friend Gavan and myself was left behind after lunch, was slow as i had to put my kid into the car seat and Jun was blocked by another car - Gavan and myself waited for Jun before we joined back with the group further up - we just did a guess and drive moment there...

Either way - after much consideration, i just wanted to mention the above so that the next cruise could be arranged better...

Thanks for put this up mate, I was rushing to work this afternoon and had no chance to update anything till now, the car is left at JLM as they want to do a further check on the car as they think if the exhaust had hitten that hard there is a possibility that the turbo part is damaged as well, if so im looking at a 10,000+ fix and that's even excluding the front bumper and lip repaint, and I'm saying this again, we were forced to go in at that point, no worning, no sigh, nothing at all, and there was no way to make a U turn or back the car out. And I am and will send the invoice to this events organiser and please don't tell me this is not an official SAU event or something like that to avoid responsibility as for a new member like me this event just looks like an official event to me! I would put much more thought if this is not an official event!

Jun, we met briefly at the recent Tech arvo.

I obviously wasn't there yesterday, but from what I understand it indeed wasn't an official SAU event. Official SAU events are invariably covered by CAMS insurance.

I appreciate that the "off road" section of the cruise was a "surprise" and therefore you had no warning of the turn off onto that road, however, how was it not possible to STOP the car once it became obvious that the road was not suitable for a low car? I know what it's like to be in a line of cars on a cruise and there is expectation to "keep going" with faith that the lead car knows where on earth they're going and what they're doing, but unfortunately it seems to me that the responsibility of where the car goes, ultimately lies with the driver of said car.

I obviously know this VS2 personally and it is a shmick car and wish you all the best with the repairs; it could not be in better hands than JLM's. But I don't really see how one could place the blame (or cost) on another party in this case; as unfortunate as the circumstances may be.

You might be better off looking into your comprehensive insurance as a solution. Then again being an unsealed road they will probably look the other way.

• Like 2

Thanks for put this up mate, I was rushing to work this afternoon and had no chance to update anything till now, the car is left at JLM as they want to do a further check on the car as they think if the exhaust had hitten that hard there is a possibility that the turbo part is damaged as well, if so im looking at a 10,000+ fix and that's even excluding the front bumper and lip repaint, and I'm saying this again, we were forced to go in at that point, no worning, no sigh, nothing at all, and there was no way to make a U turn or back the car out. And I am and will send the invoice to this events organiser and please don't tell me this is not an official SAU event or something like that to avoid responsibility as for a new member like me this event just looks like an official event to me! I would put much more thought if this is not an official event!

Im sure you would have been able to turn the car around. Even a 90 point turn could have gotten you back out. Skylines dont have bad turning circles at all.

I am not meaning to be rude, but if I had the lucky stars of owning an GTR, of ANY model, the second I smelt dirt i would have pulled over to the side, waited for the rest of the cruise to pass, then commited to however many points of a turn, and said to hell with this and left the cruise.

Whilst being a new member may render you ignorant to the difference between an " offical " cruise, and a cruise organised and permitted on the forums under the use of SAU cruise policies, it does not render you ignorant of common sense. Having a small dirt road access myself, out here in the sticks, i can tell you that if my skyline was lowered i would be keeping it at my girlfriends house, up the road on sealed road access. Just common sense.

In saying that, the cruise organiser is in no way obliged to pay you a cent for the damages you racked up driving your car down an unsealed road. There was no documents signed accepting responsibility or liability for damage.

I am not defending the cruise organiser either. Committing to an unsealed road section for the cruise is just bizarre, and regardless of good intentions, stupid. There should have been notice and alternative routes in place with leading cars and a waiting place/alternative photo stop.

Obviously, some things have been politically said in the heat of the moment, but at the end of the day no one was holding a gun to your head. I wish your car a speedy recovery and perhaps with this experience in tow a better event for the organiser in the future.

Edited by BLKYLO
  • Like 4

Im sure you would have been able to turn the car around. Even a 90 point turn could have gotten you back out. Skylines dont have bad turning circles at all.

I am not meaning to be rude, but if I had the lucky stars of owning an GTR, of ANY model, the second I smelt dirt i would have pulled over to the side, waited for the rest of the cruise to pass, then commited to however many points of a turn, and said to hell with this and left the cruise.

Whilst being a new member may render you ignorant to the difference between an " offical " cruise, and a cruise organised and permitted on the forums under the use of SAU cruise policies, it does not render you ignorant of common sense. Having a small dirt road access myself, out here in the sticks, i can tell you that if my skyline was lowered i would be keeping it at my girlfriends house, up the road on sealed road access. Just common sense.

In saying that, the cruise organiser is in no way obliged to pay you a cent for the damages you racked up driving your car down an unsealed road. There was no documents signed accepting responsibility or liability for damage.

I am not defending the cruise organiser either. Committing to an unsealed road section for the cruise is just bizarre, and regardless of good intentions, stupid. There should have been notice and alternative routes in place with leading cars and a waiting place/alternative photo stop.

Obviously, some things have been politically said in the heat of the moment, but at the end of the day no one was holding a gun to your head. I wish your car a speedy recovery and perhaps with this experience in tow a better event for the organiser in the future.

Truly understand exactly what you are saying - But it was very hard to turn around in the route yesterday - either way - all i was trying to say is - we should have been informed - way ahead that this was going to happen and the route we will be going through - then it will be an informed decision on what is ahead...

Also i think if he made a multiple point turn u turn on that road - the damage would be worse - its the type where the centre of the road is more elevated than the sides... lol

• Like 1

Truly understand exactly what you are saying - But it was very hard to turn around in the route yesterday - either way - all i was trying to say is - we should have been informed - way ahead that this was going to happen and the route we will be going through - then it will be an informed decision on what is ahead...

Also i think if he made a multiple point turn u turn on that road - the damage would be worse - its the type where the centre of the road is more elevated than the sides... lol

Love would have found a way.

Surely hazard lights on, and your head out the driver window while you slowly reversed back up the road until you found a non scrape zone to turn around. Im sure owning a GTR would require a certain degree of driver skill on any trip, to the shops or around the block, speed bumps are mans edition of an unsealed road pot hole and they are everywhere. Im sure you wouldnt attempt to sue the council because you believed you were forced to drive over a speed bump in your lowered car.

You still decided to continue on regardless of road texture and this is why damages where inflicted. Still not defending the cruise organiser either.

Then you just pull over like Josh said and reverse however many kilometres it is back up to the sealed section

I sympathise, but once it gets to the point where you think, shit, this is too much, I would've stopped and let everyone else pass.

Tbh there wasn't enough space to pass when the road started turning bad I'd reckon. I was at the back of the pack and it was a bloody long line forward that everyone would have had to either drive up the sides into bush or reverse as I could barely see the leader. Heh...

Love would have found a way.

Surely hazard lights on, and your head out the driver window while you slowly reversed back up the road until you found a non scrape zone to turn around. Im sure owning a GTR would require a certain degree of driver skill on any trip, to the shops or around the block, speed bumps are mans edition of an unsealed road pot hole and they are everywhere. Im sure you wouldnt attempt to sue the council because you believed you were forced to drive over a speed bump in your lowered car.

You still decided to continue on regardless of road texture and this is why damages where inflicted. Still not defending the cruise organiser either.

Then you just pull over like Josh said and reverse however many kilometres it is back up to the sealed section

I sympathise, but once it gets to the point where you think, shit, this is too much, I would've stopped and let everyone else pass.

Totally understand what you both mean =)

In terms of damages - i didn't sustain any (thank god) - and i also know where to place my wheels and avoid dips as much as possible =)

That is why for me - all i would have wanted is to be informed beforehand - so that i could decide if i wanted to participate or not... but it was very tight - and i think if Jun reversed - it would have been much worse...

Good discussion btw... I'm not blaming the organizers for the trip - but i am blaming the organizers for not informing earlier.. that is what i'm saying - and as per my earlier message - this is constructive feedback so that the next cruise or trip could be organized much better =)

I totally get what you mean but if you were there you would understand, if I did a U turn there the car would be stuck and a tow truck would be needed and worse damage would be done to the car, the best way there and I believe anyone who was there would agree with me is to just crawl in where the first avaliable place to do a u turn and come out by crawling again and I made several stop during the crawling and the car behind me kept an eye on my car as well, it was not becos I think "they can go in so I can go as well" I didn't get any chance to get out! The first avaliable place to do a u turn was where we stopped any point before that I would totally ruined my car. What really happened was the car is already f**ked up and I did what's best to reduce the damage, I didn't go all the way because I think I maybe can and blame the organiser later, I couldn't do anything back there! The orginiser was lucky I didn't punch him right in the face and if I see him again I will and one punch will not be enough! Im not joking and if you think I'm threatening him you are not wrong! Yes! I am threatening him! That's how serious and angry I am And I am really pissed off now. And please don't say things like you know everthing and others are just idiots, after all it is my car and you think I would do anything to harm it?! I choose to go in as that was the minimum damage could be done on my car! Hope that clear things a bit! And I do thank you for your reply and concerns about my car I really appreciate that!