SAU Community

Newby Chasing Problems - Boost Controller + Pcm Valve

Hornet2572

G'day,

I had some work done on my 32 GTR this week, and while picking it up, the mechanic pointed out that there was an issue with my boost controller, telling me that it was continually clicking on and off while the car was running.

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with this car, it's completely different to the cars I am used to owning and working on, so I'm new to all this turbo/boost/ecu jazz, so I had to have a bit of a hunt around the engine bay to find out what he was talking about

So, I find this little solenoid / relay type doober down near my air filters - It has "Hybrid Development International" written on it, and also says "Model: HYB-MAC-SOL". This has two air lines coming to a T-piece, and into the unit, and then an airline heading back out. It also has a power line, which runs all the way from it, across the top radiator support, behind the battery, to a PCM Valve. **However** The line from the solenoid wasn't actually plugged into the PCM - just hanging loosely.

So I turned the car on, and sure enough, the solenoid starts clicking it's head off, sounds like it's a relay shorting out or similar. So am I to assume that this small solenoid is the boost controller?

I flick the car off, plug the wire into the PCM, and turn the car back on - Still clicking it's head off - No change at all.

Any ideas? Should this unit be coming on and staying on? Or is the clicking normal?

The car has a Haltech Platinum Pro plug in ECU, which I thought might have had a boost controller with it?

Or failing that, I thought that this hybrid-power solenoid unit might trace back to another controller that can be adjusted etc, but I can't seem to locate anything. In saying that, I have no basis to believe that would be the case, it's just what I had in my head for some reason.

Has anyone got any idea what the story would be? Should the Haltech be doing the job for both? Maybe an old unit that's still hooked up?

post-118673-0-88355900-1400297687_thumb.jpg

post-118673-0-49558300-1400297692_thumb.jpg

As far as I understand it, the clicking is the solenoid trying to keep the boost pressure up. Does your car boost ok and check the readings on a boost gauge. You may be loosing pressure from a leak.

When you put your foot down and under boost, a flow meter sends a signal to a small controller in your dash, and that controls the amount of pressure your solenoid lets threw.

Flow meter?

EBC's work like this:

MAP sensor talks to the controller and tells it what the current boost pressure is. The controller sends voltage in a duty cycle (on and off, in Hz, 20Hz is 20 times a second as an example) to control boost. The duty cycle depends on what the current manifold pressure is

The first picture is the solenoid that operates on the duty cycle, the second picture looks odd, doesnt look like a map sensor at all because it has 2 boost lines to it.

Flow meter?

EBC's work like this:

MAP sensor talks to the controller and tells it what the current boost pressure is. The controller sends voltage in a duty cycle (on and off, in Hz, 20Hz is 20 times a second as an example) to control boost. The duty cycle depends on what the current manifold pressure is

The first picture is the solenoid that operates on the duty cycle, the second picture looks odd, doesnt look like a map sensor at all because it has 2 boost lines to it.

Here's a close up of the bizzo in the 2nd picture

Flow meter?

EBC's work like this:

Here's a close up of the bizzo in the 2nd picture

post-118673-0-08560300-1400380819_thumb.jpg

Second picture is the R32 GTR factory boost controller...disconnected electrically going by the plug off.

Looks like the hoses may be left on the solenoid for that stock look but may not have the other ends connected to anything.

Second picture is the R32 GTR factory boost controller...disconnected electrically going by the plug off.

Looks like the hoses may be left on the solenoid for that stock look but may not have the other ends connected to anything.

Ok, so still has the factory boost controller then. But the plug that was disconnected runs into a small loom that crosses over to the other side of the engine bay and into the other solenoid pictured... Gah, so confusing!

The wiring loom has lots of wires in that harness, are they the same colored wires appearing on the other end?

Im thinking no....

Have a read here.... http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149292

here... http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177090

or just google HDI boost controller like i did. :)

After doing some reading, my advice is check your earth and wiring, could be a bad connection, seems like they dont like bad connections.

I also found some of their boost controller instruction manuals, but none with your solenoid, maybe have a deeper google.

The wiring loom has lots of wires in that harness, are they the same colored wires appearing on the other end?

Im thinking no....

Have a read here.... http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149292

here... http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177090

or just google HDI boost controller like i did. :)

After doing some reading, my advice is check your earth and wiring, could be a bad connection, seems like they dont like bad connections.

I also found some of their boost controller instruction manuals, but none with your solenoid, maybe have a deeper google.

I traced the wire the entire way through the loom, lol.. .Definitely the same wire going right the way through from one unit to the other.

Yeah I haven't been able to find any instruction manuals or even any acknowledgement from HDI that this model exists lol.

I'll have a look through those threads you linked, see how I go. Thanks for the help.